Ran out of fuel and wonít start now - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ProCross (2012 - ) F+ XF 800/1100/ This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2019, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Exclamation Ran out of fuel and wonít start now

Gave up trying to figure it out myself, here I am.

2012 Proclimb 800.

Key on, killswitch is momentary, tried disconnecting the handle controls as well.

Spark is present, was dark by time I was trying to finish and I could see the spark.

Sled ran out of gas in middle of my yard, went to move it with low fuel and ended up playing a little bit...

Sled sat couple days with no fuel because I didnít have premium on the farm. Coupe days later I filled it up with fresh premium. Tried to start, pull pull pull pull, nothing. No popping or anything. Next day I took a battery out, and primed the fuel pump from a battery. And then pull pull pull pull, nothing again. Couple days later brings us to tonight.

Tried again pulling and pulling, nothing. Pulled the spark plugs, very wet. Pulled and pulled, it was flooded, fuel was coming out. Pulled till nothing came out. Cleaned plugs, put one in each cylinder, pulled with key on it popped a few times. Guessing residual fuel. Put other plugs in, with the wiring on fuel pump disconnected I went back to pulling. No pops nothing. But it did rip the handle right out of my hand. So, pulled plugs again, tipped sled on its side, pulled and dumped out black fluid, bunch of fuel and oil mix when I pulled it over.

Took plugs and heated them up cleaned them and put back in tried to start it with fuel pump disconnected still nothing. But the recoil still did stop dead and pull back on me. Got dark outside so I gave up tonight.

Tomorrow going to put a little bit of fresh fuel in cylinders see if it fires.

Helpful if anyone had any other pointers, suppose to snow 8Ē next two days so want it out of the middle of the yard or thereís gonna be a 4í snowbank. Thatís what Iím telling myself, truth is I just wanna rip up the ditches lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ippielb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2019, 12:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Hmmm, sounds odd. Last fuel to go through probably lots of water. Do you have a heated shop to park it in for a while. Just a thought as you have done everything I would have too. Hate it when recoil dead ends, cylinder full makes me wonder if something is froze?
Saskguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

No heated shop to put it in at all. Only thing I thought when the recoil bit me was crankcase was full of fluid which wouldn’t let it compress. So that’s why I tipped it over, there was quite a bit that came out, not frozen either. And it’s been -30 lately.

I took a torch and put the flame over the spark hole and cranked it over and no popping either. So tomorrow I’m gonna try putting fuel in the cylinders. Just a little fresh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2018 El Tigre 8000
Previous Sled(s): 16 ZR 6000 Ltd 14 ZR 8000 Ltd 12 F1100 T 11 F8 EXT 09 Z1T
18-19 Mileage Lots
16-17 Mileage: Not enough
15-16 Mileage: Not enough
Riding Since: 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippielb View Post
No heated shop to put it in at all. Only thing I thought when the recoil bit me was crankcase was full of fluid which wouldn’t let it compress. So that’s why I tipped it over, there was quite a bit that came out, not frozen either. And it’s been -30 lately.

I took a torch and put the flame over the spark hole and cranked it over and no popping either. So tomorrow I’m gonna try putting fuel in the cylinders. Just a little fresh.
You should be able to clear the flooded crankcase by removing the plugs and just pulling the sled over with the fuels spraying out.

It's -30, spray starting fluid into the throttle body instead putting fuel in the cylinders, oh and it would help if one person sprayed while person one pulled the string.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): "Agri-vator"

Gas, in a spray bottle, shot in toward the throttle bodies with the hood off works too. Or just open the throttle if your by yourself, shoot a shot in each tb, New plugs, crank it
stronger800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): XF9000, XF7000, CF8HO, F8HO, ZR9, Zrt8,T-Cat
Previous Sled(s): Prostock 1000 & 1107
Favorite Riding Area: Any where there is Snow!!
18-19 Mileage 1230
16-17 Mileage: 700
15-16 Mileage: 1100 +
Riding Since: 1966

Here is a thought as this happened to us yesterday on 800. In our case we filled up and rode the sled 8 miles back to the cabin and then it would not start.

In our case we must have got some water in the gas as our injectors froze in the open position. This could be the case being you ran out of gas and sucked up what ever was left in the tank.

First pull the plugs and belt off, 2. disconnect the fuel line and route it into a 5 gallon gas can, 3. put rag over plug hole and pull about a 100 times to clear the cylinders of all the gas and while pulling check to see if the fuel pump is pumping. If the fuel pump is pumping? Put ina new set of plugs and start sled with the fuel line off. Run engine till it runs out of gas. Install fuel line and red bottle heat antifreeze into gas tank and start the sled up. take it for a ride to get water out of fuel injection system.

If your fuel pump is not pumping you will need to pull the smart valves from the tank and see if they are collapsed in the closed position. If so take smart valves apart so they are working again. Then check to see if the fuel pump is pumping.

If you have spark and compression one of the above should fix your problem.
teaser61 and SShooterZ like this.

Zrt1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): "Agri-vator"

Good post. Very well could be. maybe heat injectors with hair dryer and tap them first?
stronger800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
KFS
Super Advanced Member

Had a similar issue quite a few years ago fueled up at a mom and pop gas station road home the next day went to start them and both sleds would not start decided to put a hairdryer on the injectors and fuel rail and Wala water
KFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Had plugs back in, tried to start it still nothing. Took plugs out and puffing fuel out the cylinders again. Tipped it over and got as much out as I could. Took a heat gun and put it on the cylinders and put the tarp on the sled. Going to thaw the whole thing out. Injectors must be frozen open. No reason for that much fuel to be dumping into it.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 ZR9000 Limited
Previous Sled(s): 77 ElTigre 500 FA
Favorite Riding Area: Up North
Riding Since: 1972

If you strip the ends of a speaker wire and wrap them with black tape you can slide them over the injector pins and cycle them with a 9V battery. I have a couple plugs I robbed from an old harness for in the fall when I come across the occasional stuck injector, keep tapping one side of the battery, you'll hear it clicking.
snochopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement