Hardcore Sledder banner

02/06/2009 S Oconto Towards Lakewood

4K views 63 replies 13 participants last post by  TATKAT187 
#1 · (Edited)
Well had to ride one last time from the house - Took a vacation day on Friday 02/06/2009 and the trails were PERFECT
Sobieski/Chase towards Oconto Falls - Oconto Falls already had there gates closed on Friday morning - Why ??? I have no idea as it never really got warm warm on Friday and plenty of snow , a day early in my book , but hay thats there call , but in hindsight everyone around Oconto Falls trail system stayed open on Friday - Honestly couldnt figure that one out but there loss

Well turned around and headed towards Lakewood - Trails were AWESOME - Got off the RR Grade and headed towards Crooked Lake and then over to Waubee Lake and then back home
About 160 miles - Couldnt have been any better - White and flat and slow traffic

Southern Oconto / Chase / Krakow / Oconto Falls all were closed or either closing Sat AM at 6:00 - I can see alot more closing , days ahead
RAIN and 50 degrees - Can you say OUCH - It was fun while it lasted , but looking at these same trails from the road on Sat/Sun - Brown and mud and ugly , and its only going to get worse

Few pictures in the fields are only a few miles from the house on Friday's ride towards Lakewood

Sat - Chute Pond Drags were a swamp - Only had half the sleds compared to last year as i was told by the organizers , still a blast though

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks great Scott. We had to stay home this weekend kids stuff at school. But will be heading up next weekend for my dad's bday so hopefully it stays a little colder up there and maybe we get more snow as we need it bad. What a bummer after a great start to the season.

#3 ·
Looks great Scott. We had to stay home this weekend kids stuff at school. But will be heading up next weekend for my dad's bday so hopefully it stays a little colder up there and maybe we get more snow as we need it bad. What a bummer after a great start to the season.[/b]
I can maybe see the snow in the woods holding up - But honestly rain and forties to near 50 next week is really going to take its toll
And no new snow in sight ??? This Jan thaw is a month late !!!

Hope your Dad has a wonderfull Birthday !!!

I havent been to the U.P. in over a month , but that might change really quick

#4 ·
I can maybe see the snow in the woods holding up - But honestly rain and forties to near 50 next week is really going to take its toll
And no new snow in sight ??? This Jan thaw is a month late !!!

Hope your Dad has a wonderfull Birthday !!!

I havent been to the U.P. in over a month , but that might change really quick[/b]
Yup, I guess it is back to the UP for us also. I have the stickers this year so might as well use them.

#5 ·
Oconto Falls - Chase/Sobieski - Lena - Chute Pond - Gillett - Bagley-Brazeau trails are closed until further notice

#6 ·
was in tomahawk this last weekend and after seeing how they were deteriorating on saturday, i am all but certain, that 50 and rain will wipe them all out. hopefully this last weekend wasn't the last wisconsin sledding i will do this season =( . at least there is snow in MI.

#7 ·
Hey Bee, did you come right by the gas station in crooked lake on Friday? I was there putting gas in my sled, and i'm pretty sure i saw you and the wife come through the parking lot. Boy those trails were nice on friday yet. What a shame it's possibly over already.

#8 ·
trails around here are in not bad of shape.. need 4 plus to get back into it but the base in most areas is still there.. Rain and 50 degrees doesn't affect me at all.. Whole month of march left and usually 2 big snow storms in the month.. the past has marked 15 inches in storms

#9 ·
Hey Bee, did you come right by the gas station in crooked lake on Friday? I was there putting gas in my sled, and i'm pretty sure i saw you and the wife come through the parking lot. Boy those trails were nice on friday yet. What a shame it's possibly over already.[/b]
Yep , that was definetly us - We kind of just cruised through the parking lot of the gas station , i didnt know if she wanted to stop or not at "The Pines" for a break Damn , you should of grabbed me and said "Lets Ride" - I saw a bunch of guys sitting there by the pumps , All Polaris Sleds ???

Was a great day and trails were awesome to say the least - Next time your riding send me a message or email

Might bee awhile around here - Just got done raining OUCH

Scott

#10 ·
trails around here are in not bad of shape.. need 4 plus to get back into it but the base in most areas is still there.. Rain and 50 degrees doesn't affect me at all.. Whole month of march left and usually 2 big snow storms in the month.. the past has marked 15 inches in storms[/b]
after last nights rain and todays high and tomorrow rains.. i say 6 maybe 8 to get us back into it and it has to be heavy wet snow

#11 ·
Well had to ride one last time from the house - Took a vacation day on Friday 02/06/2009 and the trails were PERFECT
Sobieski/Chase towards Oconto Falls - Oconto Falls already had there gates closed on Friday morning - Why ??? I have no idea as it never really got warm warm on Friday and plenty of snow , a day early in my book , but hay thats there call , but in hindsight everyone around Oconto Falls trail system stayed open on Friday - Honestly couldnt figure that one out but there loss

Well turned around and headed towards Lakewood - Trails were AWESOME - Got off the RR Grade and headed towards Crooked Lake and then over to Waubee Lake and then back home
About 160 miles - Couldnt have been any better - White and flat and slow traffic

Southern Oconto / Chase / Krakow / Oconto Falls all were closed or either closing Sat AM at 6:00 - I can see alot more closing , days ahead
RAIN and 50 degrees - Can you say OUCH - It was fun while it lasted , but looking at these same trails from the road on Sat/Sun - Brown and mud and ugly , and its only going to get worse

Few pictures in the fields are only a few miles from the house on Friday's ride towards Lakewood

Sat - Chute Pond Drags were a swamp - Only had half the sleds compared to last year as i was told by the organizers , still a blast though[/b]
We did the same on friday. My wife got done working at noon and I quit early. Me, my wife , and a buddy left from the house here in Lakewood1 We headed up to Towsend and back down to Chute Pond. From there we headed to Crooked Lake and back up to Lakewood. What a blast!!!! The trails were eperfect and the temps were awsome. Saturday and Sunday several hundred sleds passed the house and the trails are shot! Mike from the PInes has been helping us at work on and off for the last couple weeks. He grooms for the Iron Snowshoe and the trails were closed 7:00 am Saturday. Sure wouldn't have known it by the traffic this weekend! www.4upnorth.com trail report in Lakewood says no closure as of yet, but after rain last night and 50 today they'll have to!
Later boys, Jason

#13 ·
after last nights rain and todays high and tomorrow rains.. i say 6 maybe 8 to get us back into it and it has to be heavy wet snow[/b]
It'll take a lot more than 6-8 to get trails in this area open again. All the melting plus rain, now ditches are running and hay feilds are wet with standing water. Hate to say it but "Stick a fork in it" the trails in this area won't reopen this spring.

mps

#14 ·
Yep , that was definetly us - We kind of just cruised through the parking lot of the gas station , i didnt know if she wanted to stop or not at "The Pines" for a break Damn , you should of grabbed me and said "Lets Ride" - I saw a bunch of guys sitting there by the pumps , All Polaris Sleds ???

Was a great day and trails were awesome to say the least - Next time your riding send me a message or email

Scott[/b]
Yep, that was us. We filled up and then went over to the pines for a break oursleves. That was as far north as we went. My buddy i was riding with had to get home early so we couldn't go further north. Looks like it could be a while before we ride again. I don't live to far from you, so next time i ride(hopefully this season yet) i'll shoot you a pm. I love riding right from home.

#15 ·

Scott[/b]
Watch the news catboy, you were done a long time ago, just like everyone else, sorry, I think it sucks too.

#16 ·
It'll take a lot more than 6-8 to get trails in this area open again. All the melting plus rain, now ditches are running and hay feilds are wet with standing water. Hate to say it but "Stick a fork in it" the trails in this area won't reopen this spring.

mps[/b]
give it a week of cold weather... I will be just like late last year.. Warm up came through had mini lakes all over the place.. Took a few days of cold weather, and some snow and they were open but dangerous.. Those mini lakes will help out the base when it freezes.. Give it time.. Plus March is a unpredictable month, could be warm and melt or could lay some big snow on us.. Hell last year April 26th i had a dusty of snow fall, which is my b-day thats why I remembered it.. Right now there is lots of places that have a good 4-5 inches of snow and a ice base left on the trail.. By the roads and where the sun beats all day is where its the worst right now..

I guarantee you that if we get 8 inches of wet snow they would open them.. (key thing is it has to freeze up)
Now if i see the next 2 weeks forecast and they say above freezing temps and rain then I will stick my fork in it.. until then im sticking with this.. YOU GUYS GIVE UP TOO EASY.. Do your snow dances

#17 ·
Watch the news catboy, you were done a long time ago, just like everyone else, sorry, I think it sucks too.[/b]
I was done 5 days ago.. Were ganna play december all over again... It was 56 here and 70 in chicago today and your down that way.. Things change between you and me likes its night and day.. you guys got 12 plus inches of snow and I maybe seen 3 out of that storm if any earlier this year.. Pure rain here freezing rain up north.. Rain in the lower parts of the rockies.. feet of snow in the upper parts.. Same thing here just dont have the elevation... When you get rain doesnt mean i do.. when you get tornadoes doesnt mean I do.. when you get snow doesn't mean I do..

#19 ·
you guys cant be too hardcore .... giving up already ??? whats up with that ???[/b]

Well , will it bee enough is the question of the day ???

Winter Storm Watch
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREEN BAY WI
327 PM CST MON FEB 16 2009

...WINTER RETURNS BY WEDNESDAY...

.WINTER WILL MAKE A RETURN TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY WITH
THE POTENTIAL OF HEAVY SNOW. LATER WEDNESDAY...INCREASING WINDS
WILL PRODUCE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF THAT SNOW.

WIZ020>022-030-031-035>040-045-048>050-073-074-170500-
/O.NEW.KGRB.WS.A.0002.090218T0000Z-090219T0000Z/
MENOMINEE-NORTHERN OCONTO-DOOR-MARATHON-SHAWANO-WOOD-PORTAGE-
WAUPACA-OUTAGAMIE-BROWN-KEWAUNEE-WAUSHARA-WINNEBAGO-CALUMET-
MANITOWOC-SOUTHERN MARINETTE-SOUTHERN OCONTO-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...KESHENA...STURGEON BAY...WAUSAU...
WISCONSIN RAPIDS...STEVENS POINT...APPLETON...GREEN BAY...
ALGOMA...WAUTOMA...OSHKOSH...CHILTON...TWO RIVERS...CRIVITZ

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREEN BAY HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND 6 INCHES IS POSSIBLE OVER MUCH OF
CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST WISCONSIN TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY
AFTERNOON. LATER WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 20 TO
30 MPH FROM THE NORTH WHICH WILL PRODUCE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF
THE NEW SNOW.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW ACCUMULATIONS AND BLOWING SNOW THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.

#20 ·
Well , will it bee enough is the question of the day ???

Winter Storm Watch
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREEN BAY WI

...WINTER RETURNS BY WEDNESDAY...

.WINTER WILL MAKE A RETURN TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY WITH
THE POTENTIAL OF HEAVY SNOW. LATER WEDNESDAY...INCREASING WINDS
WILL PRODUCE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF THAT SNOW.

WIZ020>022-030-031-035>040-045-048>050-073-074-170500-
/O.NEW.KGRB.WS.A.0002.090218T0000Z-090219T0000Z/
MENOMINEE-NORTHERN OCONTO-DOOR-MARATHON-SHAWANO-WOOD-PORTAGE-
WAUPACA-OUTAGAMIE-BROWN-KEWAUNEE-WAUSHARA-WINNEBAGO-CALUMET-
MANITOWOC-SOUTHERN MARINETTE-SOUTHERN OCONTO-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...KESHENA...STURGEON BAY...WAUSAU...
WISCONSIN RAPIDS...STEVENS POINT...APPLETON...GREEN BAY...
ALGOMA...WAUTOMA...OSHKOSH...CHILTON...TWO RIVERS...CRIVITZ

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND 6 INCHES IS POSSIBLE OVER MUCH OF
CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST WISCONSIN TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY
AFTERNOON. LATER WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 20 TO
30 MPH FROM THE NORTH WHICH WILL PRODUCE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF
THE NEW SNOW.

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS AND BLOWING SNOW THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.[/b]
I hope so! We just got home and yes my son got more miles than me this weekend! We build a new bench at the garage and I rode 3 miles on the lake with him and they he rode the rest of the weekend on the lake! And love doing donuts! And of course some morons on the closed trails! Where is the DNR when you need them! So, very cold this morning before we left so they all welcome snow!

#21 · (Edited)
Drove in a Blizzard , heading up to Ishpeming MI early Thursday - Trails were awesome , then watched the UP200 Sled Dogs on Friday night - 1' - 2' of fresh snow Marquette down to Gwinn

Drove home early Sat AM , in a Blizzard , Eastern Wi - Hell i didnt even know we were supposed to get snow on Saturday , so that was a pleasant surprise

So whats the first thing i doo - Yep , check , the trails are all open in Southern Oconto County , unload the sleds from the trailer - And put in 150 miles from the house
Wife thinks i am nuts , load them up , unload them , blah blah blah

Lots of fresh snow , but whatever base was left (Survived the rain and 50 degree weather) especially in the plowed fields was solid ice with blowing snow on top - Those plowed fields were a little iffy until the groomers can hopefully work with them again - Hay fields were awesome - RR Grade heading up to Chute Pond/Mountain was awesome (Man there was some serious rollers in there , and if you were flying , serious air time around the Gillett area)

Trails in the woods were nice HOWEVER VERY VERY VERY ICY BASE UNDER ALL THAT FRESH SNOW - Lots of sharp corners getting washed out - Didnt help that my ski carbides are worn out

Overall not to shabby and no way in hell did i think the trails around here would open again after our brief summer in February - Not as nice as they were a few weeks ago , but hopefully some more snow this week ???

Saturday Pictures

#22 · (Edited)
I rode Shawano County up to Neva Corners (just north of Antigo) trails were good from what we ran into.. Little snow maybe a few inches and it doesn't take much to get to the base which is ice like posted above. Langlade county had snow on them but still could see ice off to the sides.. I would ride them as much as possible as a warm up maybe coming through again but freezing rain is likely.. I would of went up today but the sled decided it wanted to break yesterday.. Ill try later this week. In though all in all it was a good ride. good amounts of snow, but there are some spots where you could see the groomer shouldn't of groomed but hes just doing his job. Put on over 200 miles

Here are some pics of the Mountain Bay. Now that I think about it I wish I would of took more pictures of different areas..

#23 ·
Bring it on !!!!!!!!!!!

This would bee awesome on top of our base - Fingers crossed

334 PM CST TUE FEB 24 2009

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
LATE THURSDAY NIGHT...

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
LATE THURSDAY NIGHT.

HEAVY SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ON THURSDAY AFTERNOON...AND
CONTINUE INTO THURSDAY NIGHT BEFORE DIMINISHING. ACCUMULATIONS OF
6 TO 10 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE...ALONG WITH SOME BLOWING AND DRIFTING
OF THE SNOW.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE

#24 ·
Bring it on !!!!!!!!!!!

This would bee awesome on top of our base - Fingers crossed
334 PM CST TUE FEB 24 2009

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
LATE THURSDAY NIGHT...

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
LATE THURSDAY NIGHT.

HEAVY SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ON THURSDAY AFTERNOON...AND
CONTINUE INTO THURSDAY NIGHT BEFORE DIMINISHING. ACCUMULATIONS OF
6 TO 10 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE...ALONG WITH SOME BLOWING AND DRIFTING
OF THE SNOW.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE[/b]

I just saw that on the news! Great news, heading up Friday for the weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.