Suspension/Handling problems - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Fusion This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Default Suspension/Handling problems

I've had my fusion for 2 full seasons (this will be my 3rd). I find it quite hard to steer at low speeds. Meaning you really have to push and pull on the bars to turn. Turning right is a CRAZY STUPID PITA! The inside ski always wants to lift and I'm always wrapping my fingers around the bar and using my fingers to throttle in a low speed tight turn because my hand just doesn't bend enough to keep my THUMB on the throttle while I'm leaning so hard into the turn and over the right side.

The darting while riding doesn't seem extreme. Little more than I'd like but I've ridden worse.

The logical explanation would be too much weight on front ski's thus leading to some mild darting and hard steering. Loosten the front limiter strap a notch and test drive right? Well these damn Fuse's have so much torque I'm almost afraid to loosten the strap cuz anytime I hit the throttle my ski's will come off the ground and in a corner I'll then have no steering at all.

So here's my question. I weigh 210 lbs. I'm 6'2". My riding style is standard to semi-aggressive trail riding. I sit at the front of the seat and lean forward towards the inside of the turn.... (Don't hang my ass off the back of the sled in a turn like I'm riding a "non rider forward" style sled.

With this sled IMO I SHOULD be able to ride twisting trails at 25 mph with EASE yet I find myself having to work to make the tighter corners which bend to the right.

Any suggestions on suspension setup? I have rear shock on stiffest setting cuz our trails do have lots of dips in them and I don't wanna be bottoming out. How about front torsion strap and front shock settings (in distance of adjusting ring from top or bottom of threads)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first rider forward sled and I haven't dabbled in the world of suspension setup yet.

Thanks!

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rvanderklok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2008 Skidoo XP 800r
Favorite Riding Area: Trail

You can find allot on this issue,, well known issue... If you don't want to spend money,, crank the front track spring all the way down, it will take load off front. It does improve the steering force.

Or

Fix the issue: 08 or newer spindles,, or HOLZ ez-steer spindles.

Thats your options.
ttreewalkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 f800rr, 2015 600 axys
Previous Sled(s): 06 fusion 600, 05 f7 efi ext, 05 zr 900, 03 440 sno pro,
Favorite Riding Area: ditches, highlines,
Riding Since: 1988

holz no longer makes these spindles so you will be looking for used ones, I would personally look for 08 or newer oem spindles, this will dramatically free up your low speed turning, also it may solve your problem by simply shimming your skis the bergstrom way, search under bergstrom shims and you will find info on that as well, a lot of guys have done this with good results.
mudripper76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
bob
Advanced Member

I shimed my skis with Bergstrom shims and added SLYDOG skis and it made a world of difference.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): TBD
Previous Sled(s): 910 IQ IQR Pro X's RMK, XC, D7, 660 XC, XCR
Favorite Riding Area: Sandhills, River, Mountains
Riding Since: 1991

FTA shock spring is a huge part of the problem along with the spindles. I believe the spring most guys switched out to on the 05-06's was a 225lb front spring.
X2freeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 mxz 850
Previous Sled(s): 2013 pro r rush s. b.
Favorite Riding Area: joe mary to shin pond
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 200
17-18 Mileage: 1400
16-17 Mileage: 1900
Riding Since: 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanderklok View Post
I've had my fusion for 2 full seasons (this will be my 3rd). I find it quite hard to steer at low speeds. Meaning you really have to push and pull on the bars to turn. Turning right is a CRAZY STUPID PITA! The inside ski always wants to lift and I'm always wrapping my fingers around the bar and using my fingers to throttle in a low speed tight turn because my hand just doesn't bend enough to keep my THUMB on the throttle while I'm leaning so hard into the turn and over the right side.

The darting while riding doesn't seem extreme. Little more than I'd like but I've ridden worse.

The logical explanation would be too much weight on front ski's thus leading to some mild darting and hard steering. Loosten the front limiter strap a notch and test drive right? Well these damn Fuse's have so much torque I'm almost afraid to loosten the strap cuz anytime I hit the throttle my ski's will come off the ground and in a corner I'll then have no steering at all.

So here's my question. I weigh 210 lbs. I'm 6'2". My riding style is standard to semi-aggressive trail riding. I sit at the front of the seat and lean forward towards the inside of the turn.... (Don't hang my ass off the back of the sled in a turn like I'm riding a "non rider forward" style sled.

With this sled IMO I SHOULD be able to ride twisting trails at 25 mph with EASE yet I find myself having to work to make the tighter corners which bend to the right.

Any suggestions on suspension setup? I have rear shock on stiffest setting cuz our trails do have lots of dips in them and I don't wanna be bottoming out. How about front torsion strap and front shock settings (in distance of adjusting ring from top or bottom of threads)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first rider forward sled and I haven't dabbled in the world of suspension setup yet.

Thanks!

Rob
i did the spindles and it was night and day .plus the shims
xltier12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 Blizzard 900 Ace
Favorite Riding Area: Vermont

I did shims & slydogs on my 06 Fusion 600
On the 07 IQ LX, shims & SLT SLPs w/ a keel blade - very easy steering
only skis I kept when I sold the sled.
tundrafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: Northern Lower and UP
Riding Since: 1969

I would agree you should be able to cruise at 25mph through about anything without too much trouble - cold (hard) bare ice being the exception. That stuff will have anyone paying close attention - or it should.

I guess I'm left wondering what you've done to try and fix it/where you're at with it? Condition/type of carbides? Have you checked you toe out (1/8" per side, 1/4" total)? Are you running studs in your track? If so, any in the outside belts? Nothing bent, or badly worn causing a bunch of slop?

Have you tried the base setup (ski and front skid springs set to 0 preload, rear set for your weight) I always suggest?

Oh, leave that strap out all the way, always. It's used as a last resort only, because it eats up suspension travel which is rarely a good plan.

Be happy to work with you on this, here so others can follow/contribute, or via PM. It's usually pretty easy, and a combination of several different things all stacked up that do this to a lot of guys.

So you know, been at this a long time (40 years), have 2 of these sleds myself, ride like you do, am your size, only I'm an old man and have 80 lbs on you... and I have no problem at 25mph. 40-50 well, maybe, depending on how far I've ridden that day, and how close the sled behind me is!!
michahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement