Have all the 2005 900 Fusion issues been resolved? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Fusion This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2019, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Arctic Cat XF8000 High Country Limited
Previous Sled(s): 2015 Polaris AXYS ProX ,2012 Assault, Boosted Nytro and more
Default Have all the 2005 900 Fusion issues been resolved?

Hey guys, looking at possibly buying a clean 2005 900 but I recall they were pretty bad when they first came out. Looking for a backup sled to ride when the deep POW riding is scarce for my long track and this thing is a pretty good price. It has 3500 miles on it and supposedly has been super reliable? Is the reliable part even possible on the 900? Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 800 iqr,13 800 sb,fusion 900 triple
Previous Sled(s): pro-x/xcr 800 engine,xc 800 triple,storms,ultras,650s,
Favorite Riding Area: western U.P/northern WI
Riding Since: 1974

There are a lot of those that go 10000 miles if the updates were done .
sleeping_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 Indy 800, 2001.5 xc 700ev Many more
Previous Sled(s): Favorite Previous TXL 340 AAEN setup
Favorite Riding Area: Michigan
Riding Since: 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousman View Post
Hey guys, looking at possibly buying a clean 2005 900 but I recall they were pretty bad when they first came out. Looking for a backup sled to ride when the deep POW riding is scarce for my long track and this thing is a pretty good price. It has 3500 miles on it and supposedly has been super reliable? Is the reliable part even possible on the 900? Thanks.
I built a 2005 900 last summer from the crank up. All new updated motor mounts, slp torque arm, dropped a tooth from the top gear, perfect clutch alignment, and put a tss-04 secondary on with a 62/42.36 46-42fp helix that I had team make for me. I sold the sled beginning of last winter. He put about 2k hard miles on it last winter without any issues or blown belts. I did the usual vent mods to get some air under the hood. Mainly by removing the useless storage boxes and installing mesh screen with many 1" drilled holes in the aluminum behind. Keep adding weight until you get 7200 and slide to 7300 with hot pipe. This sled is an animal. and would run 110+ gps on the lake all day. I would build another without any worries. You can do most of this for a few hundred dollars to start if you don't pull the engine but the front mounts are going to be shot. The intake manifold as well. If you can get a good deal and can do your own work its a no brainier really. Lots of power for the money. This is the basic stuff. Lots of other little things need to be checked and done. In tank fuel lines for one. They will probably need to be re glued at some fittings.
siralop700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2019, 12:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Is the Fusion rider forward or old school low seating position?
Old 12-13-2019, 12:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Rider forward.The fusion also had a really nice adjustable steering post position.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 19 900T ACE, 16 Gade 1200,
Previous Sled(s): Many
Favorite Riding Area: N Wisc, W. U.P.
19-20 Mileage: 1723 miles
18-19 Mileage: 1813 miles
17-18 Mileage: 1929 miles
16-17 Mileage: 2325
Riding Since: 1972

You pays your money and takes your chances.
I owned one and put 2500 imles on it. Dealer took it back on a 2006. Was 100 % better. Check the difference. I believe the 06 had more "injectors" and programming was better. Without the motor mount change and the SLP torque arms they were real belt eaters. Seems to me they also had different "injectors" available {I believe, depending on altitude} Been alot of sleds for me since then, but it left a bad taste with mde. And I was a lot more fortunate the many.
SnoKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoKing View Post
You pays your money and takes your chances.
I owned one and put 2500 imles on it. Dealer took it back on a 2006. Was 100 % better. Check the difference. I believe the 06 had more "injectors" and programming was better. Without the motor mount change and the SLP torque arms they were real belt eaters. Seems to me they also had different "injectors" available {I believe, depending on altitude} Been alot of sleds for me since then, but it left a bad taste with mde. And I was a lot more fortunate the many.
The guys who bought those new were the ones that got really screwed.It took a year or two to straighten those things out.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
cfm
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 900 Fuse-10,800miles and going / 06 600HO M10
Riding Since: 3 BC

I bought my 05 new. 1 year left over. They cut the price subdatntially and doubled warranty to move these. I never used the warranty. I did get all 5 million uopdates done.

1st thing I notices was how hot underhood temps were. The console would get so hot I'd burn my fingers if I touched it. so first thing I did with just 100 or less miles on the clock was to remove underhood heat. I did as mentioned above. Removed front storage compartments, drilled many holes in the aluminum behind it, and installed perforated sheet aluminum in place of doors. I can take a pic if need be I guess, but if you go to second year of Fusion forum you'll see a ton of info on this, clutching (basically all stock but a different secondary helix) and miscellaneous things.

Biggest thing that caused issues on these, I feel, is the clutch sperating and cutting stator wires. Made thousands of people scratch there heads trying to diagnose inconsistent electrical/running issues. Another is the Champion spark plugs for these are quite peculiar in that they aren't made well and the electrode likes to play hide and see. Literally ! Sled would ru like schit, people would pull plugs to look at them, they'd look fine and be put back in. Well...if you turned them over and shook them once or twice you'd see the electrode disappear and then re-appear magically. Aint that grand ? Took a while for this to catch on, but some still did not catch on to this. LOL. or doh ?

They say the internet killed these sleds, well, this is one of the biggest sled sights, so......almost all the complaints and etch info are here.

Because of the sheer amt of people having so many huge issues, I cannot go out and recommend the sled to anyone.

I can report though, mine is at 10,400 miles or so.

I do a lot of maintenance on all my stuff...so that may have helped.
PPP Charter Member #2

-"Your motor will tell you what it wants. Are you listening ?" - Darin Morgan
- "Look at the way they flew in the slew. Hats off to you. Woopy Doo!" - ICEMANJOE

Last edited by cfm; 12-16-2019 at 11:28 AM.
cfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
cfm
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 900 Fuse-10,800miles and going / 06 600HO M10
Riding Since: 3 BC

edited above. Added a little more info.
PPP Charter Member #2

-"Your motor will tell you what it wants. Are you listening ?" - Darin Morgan
- "Look at the way they flew in the slew. Hats off to you. Woopy Doo!" - ICEMANJOE
cfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I missed out on the one deal so I’ll keep looking. Thanks for the details.
Advertisement