2012 rush top end - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Rush/Switchback (Pro-Ride Chassis) This is a brand-specific forum and a 100% NO BASH Zone. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2019, 08:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 Rush 600 Pro R
Previous Sled(s): Always ski-doo or polaris. Currently polaris
Favorite Riding Area: Michigan upper and lower
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: Many Miles
17-18 Mileage: Not Great
16-17 Mileage: Not great
Riding Since: 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoptex View Post
So what do you guys do if the clearance isnt right? Return the pistons and try another set? Sent the cylinders out for honing? Either way that cant be cheap. There should be some better tolerances on this stuff. I really doubt Polaris "adjusts" every motor. Can we just stick with OEM and not worry about it? Seems these motors are lucky to get a few thousand miles an engine anyway
You should give your cylinders to a good engine guy or gal and have them prep the cylinders and order the pistons and rings for you depending on your clearances. They will get what you need and take the guess work out for you. My guys do lots of machine work in house and make things easy. The last 550 fan I did I also did a piston coating that actually wears the coating to make the clearances right where they need to be. My engine guy sent them over for me with the clearance specs, we have a local shop that does the coating. Its called Line2Line coatings in Clarkston Michigan- you can google them to see what it is if you want to spend the extra money, but I think it was under $100 for both pistons ?. There may be something like that locally for you ? I used them for that 550 a few years ago and its still running strong.

Last edited by RidinMi; 12-13-2019 at 08:28 AM.
RidinMi is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidinMi View Post
You should give your cylinders to a good engine guy or gal and have them prep the cylinders and order the pistons and rings for you depending on your clearances. They will get what you need and take the guess work out for you. My guys do lots of machine work in house and make things easy. The last 550 fan I did I also did a piston coating that actually wears the coating to make the clearances right where they need to be. My engine guy sent them over for me with the clearance specs, we have a local shop that does the coating. Its called Line2Line coatings in Clarkston Michigan- you can google them to see what it is if you want to spend the extra money, but I think it was under $100 for both pistons ?. There may be something like that locally for you ? I used them for that 550 a few years ago and its still running strong.

So your saying Polaris pistons can be ordered to size, after the bore is measured? I know with cast bores you can get .010, .015, .020 over size pistons after a bore is cleaned up, but with Nikasil is that an option???
nanner likes this.
danoptex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 Rush Pro R 800 retro 2001 XCSP 700
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1400
17-18 Mileage: 1200
16-17 Mileage: 1000

The cylinders should be fine. A new set of pistons and rings should be able to be installed with nothing done. Even honing. Wouldn't hurt to just verify clearance, but it usually works.
Lexuslover likes this.
Frankie406 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 Rush 600 Pro R
Previous Sled(s): Always ski-doo or polaris. Currently polaris
Favorite Riding Area: Michigan upper and lower
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: Many Miles
17-18 Mileage: Not Great
16-17 Mileage: Not great
Riding Since: 1986

Quote:
So your saying Polaris pistons can be ordered to size, after the bore is measured? I know with cast bores you can get .010, .015, .020 over size pistons after a bore is cleaned up, but with Nikasil is that an option???
I'm saying if you are unsure, then take them to someone who does that for a living and have them hone/prep your cylinders and order the pistons for you. You can get new gaskets through them as well if needed. Then you can reassemble.
RidinMi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 Rush Pro R 800 retro 2001 XCSP 700
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1400
17-18 Mileage: 1200
16-17 Mileage: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidinMi View Post
Quote:
I'm saying if you are unsure, then take them to someone who does that for a living and have them hone/prep your cylinders and order the pistons for you. You can get new gaskets through them as well if needed. Then you can reassemble.
Actually, if the cylinders are in good shape, not scuffed or gouged, honing them isn't needed, or recommended. Verify that the clearance is proper, the ring gaps are correct, DO NOT use slippery assembly lube on the cylinders,rings and pistons, just regular 2 stroke oil, and break them in aggressively. Not baby it for 500 miles, so the rings seat.
permafrost likes this.
Frankie406 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Finished the top end with proX pistons, and a vertex gasket kit. Rode it a few times around the yard, seems like it has more power now, even with 87 octane in ethanol mode, but i cant really tell till I get it on the trails. I did have to gap the rings a little bit, it was very difficult to get the rings back in the cylinders. Ive done a few dirt bikes and quads and never had an issue getting the rings in. Any special tricks for doing it? A little late now, but maybe for when it needs another top end in 3000 miles, although i turned the oil pump up a but, so hopefully ittl be better, and I'll try to warm it up best I can every time I ride it

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
XJ2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 Switchback Pro R 800
Previous Sled(s): 2001 800XC 1999 XLTSP

good to hear! I never had an issue putting pistons back in, but then again, i have my engines usually pulled and on a bench. I used Wiseco in my Pro R and the slid right on and in.
Lexuslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Did about 50 miles on the trail with my new top end, before I got a det 7 code, lost all kinds of power, so i stopped and it sounded like it was running on one cylinder. Stator side had hardly any compression. I pulled the power valve, and the rings looked stuck in the piston. I pulled the cylinder, and the rings are stuck, only in front of the exhaust port, and the piston and cylinder are severely scored. I had turned the oil adjustment one turn clockwise, and replaced the fuel filter, dont think I touched anything else. Any idea what could cause this? Dont want it to happen again with another new piston and a replated cylinder.

Old 02-13-2020, 01:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 800 iqr,13 800 sb,fusion 900 triple
Previous Sled(s): pro-x/xcr 800 engine,xc 800 triple,storms,ultras,650s,
Favorite Riding Area: western U.P/northern WI
Riding Since: 1974

Sounds like it severely leaned out.Are you sure both orings on the output side of the injector were properly installed?Ive seen some issues there before.
sleeping_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:03 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeping_dragon View Post
Sounds like it severely leaned out.Are you sure both orings on the output side of the injector were properly installed?Ive seen some issues there before.
I believe they were. The green one went in the port before the injector and the other one in the groove on the injector itself. I'll take a better look at them later. My first thought was a lack of oil, but im not sure how that could happen when I didnt even disconnect the oil injection system, so lack of fuel makes more sense.

Last edited by XJ2.5; 02-13-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement