12 Pro R 800 Switchback electric starter issues - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Rush/Switchback (Pro-Ride Chassis) This is a brand-specific forum and a 100% NO BASH Zone. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sayatodaU.P.eh?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 12 Pro R 800 Switchback electric starter issues

Been having starting issues with this sled for the last 2 years. When I bought the sled used, the starter worked great when it was very cold out the sled would start fine. Then 2 yrs ago I started having issues with the electric start that presented dead battery like symptoms. You turn the key and would get "whoomp whoomp whoomp" sound as if its trying to turn the starter gear on the primary but not enough juice to turn it quick enough over. I ordered a new gel battery threw it in on a fresh charge and same issue of it seeming like not enough power to turn that starter gear over.

Then last year when rebuilding the motor while everything was apart I rebuilt the pinion gear with "SPI - Starter Drive Gear Kit - Pinion Rebuild Kit" because I read that the pinion can stick or can break. Threw everything back together and still same issue of it seeming like it still was not having enough juice to start the sled when its cold.
Odd thing is when the sled is warm after riding 50 miles the electric start works fine until the next morning. Figuring it could have been a bad battery I ordered a Yuasa battery this past December. Installed that battery same issue as described above. Yesterday I just replaced the starter solenoid and ground down all the grounds and contacts I could find. The sled kicks over but still has that not enough juice sound when its trying to turn that starter gear. Yes the battery is on a trickle charger and had a full charge when I was trying and start the sled. The sled always starts fine when its warm.

So I'm am kinda at a loss with this electric start and want to fix this starting issue so I can sell the sled. Not sure why when it cold it doesn't want to start, but when its work the electric start works fine. Any help or guidance is appreciated.
scow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2011 Rush Retro Pro R 800
Previous Sled(s): 2003 Edge XC 700, 1974 El Tigre' 440
Favorite Riding Area: Local or the Tug
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1300
17-18 Mileage: 500
16-17 Mileage: 750
Riding Since: 1979

Electric start on these will rarely work when really cold out. Batteries and cold temps do not play well together. Mine works fine but if i leave it over night w/o the charger and it's below 20, no start. Even on the charger if its around zero or less, it won't start. You have to suck it up and pull start it, and like you said, after it warms up and you get some miles on it, it will work just fine. This goes for any battery, snowmobile or car or cordless drill.
jeepgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 Switchback 800 Pro-R Retro
Previous Sled(s): 2003 Artic Cat 660
Favorite Riding Area: Millinocket, ME or Errol, NH
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 400
17-18 Mileage: 725
16-17 Mileage: 1,300

I have 7,800 miles on my 2012 and have always had the same issue. I even have a spare starter cause I swore that was it after I replaced the battery & solenoid. I lube that pinion gear often and keep my battery as charged as possible and have resigned to knowing most really cold days I'm pull starting on that first start of the day....

Last edited by PB.PRO-R; 02-05-2019 at 09:27 PM.
PB.PRO-R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2019, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Admin - Nick

Current Sled(s): 2015 RMK 800 & 600 H.O. Fusion
Previous Sled(s): All Polarii and one Yamaha.
Favorite Riding Area: Most anywhere north of M-28.
Riding Since: 1984

The starter driveshaft is the issue with this system. You loose a TON of torque through that shaft. They work good when new, horrible when they age. Iím sure the heat from the exhaust doesnít help it either. I have taken the e-start off from ever 800 CFI Polaris sleds Iíve owned because of this.
abm2958 and PB.PRO-R like this.
sayatodaU.P.eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayatodaU.P.eh? View Post
The starter driveshaft is the issue with this system. You loose a TON of torque through that shaft. They work good when new, horrible when they age. I’m sure the heat from the exhaust doesn’t help it either. I have taken the e-start off from ever 800 CFI Polaris sleds I’ve owned because of this.
Replaced the flex shaft and pinion. With the newish battery fired right up.
I know my old battery that was less than a year old must have had a bad cell because it barely turned the sled over when i put it back in to test.
scow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement