Fuel Sock replacement error... what was it? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Rush/Switchback (Pro-Ride Chassis) This is a brand-specific forum and a 100% NO BASH Zone. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2019, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fuel Sock replacement error... what was it?

So as part of fall maintenance I replaced the fuel sock on my 2013 switchback.
1) Removed panels and airbox feed.
2) Disconnected fuel fuel pump / sender unit
3) Disconnected fuel lines
4) Unscrewed the cap and carefully removed the assembly.
5) removed the zip ties and the hose clamp. Removed old sock.
6) Heated new sock hose, fitted hose over pump pickup fitting. Crimped new clamp.
7) Carefully replaced the assembly into the fuel tank oriented at the same angle as before.

Buttoned everything back up.
With 5 gallons of new gas in the tank, rode it for about 4 miles... all is good.
Put back in to garage and verified all the other bolts and things were still tight. Topped off the gas tank.

A few hours later started sled and it was running a bit rough. By the time the sled made it to the back yard it was running very rough. Drove it back into garage. It ran increasingly rough.

Next day. Sled would barely start and if I give it any throttle it dies.

Siphoned 6 of the 11 gallons of gas out of tank.

Opened it back up... pulled the fuel filter line off the pump. Ran a hose from the barb on the fitting to a gas can. Pulled the starter and the sled started right up... quite happy.
While the fuel pump proceeded to transfer about a quart of gas from the tank to the gas can.

Was a bit surprised at this point that the sled would actually run without a fuel pump.... it ran out of gas in about 45 seconds and stalled.

Put the fuel filter line back on the fitting, and the sled started right up after a couple of pulls to prime the line. Continued to run for a couple of minutes.

Drained the rest of the tank and did visual inspection of sock on bottom of tank... it was cross ways across the tank such that the fuel sender float rises across the width of the sled. No obvious problems. Adjusted it slightly, added 6 gallons of gas back into tank. Ran it for 5 minutes without issue.

I'll take it out on the lake again during daylight tomorrow night and see if it is "fixed"... but would really like to know what was the root cause. Plugged vent line? Sock folded over or positioned incorrectly? Failing fuel pump?

Any ideas folks?

Mike
mrc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2019, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Okay... this is on 2013 Switchback with the later model fuel pump (with straight barbs coming out of tank rather than right angle)...

Does anybody know where to attach fuel pressure gauge? Older manual said in the return line, but I don't see it.

Still has problem.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-03-2019, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
cfm
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 900 Fuse-10,200miles and going / 06 600HO M10
Riding Since: 3 BC

Is this what your pump/regulator/stainer assembly look like?

PPP Charter Member #2

-"Your motor will tell you what it wants. Are you listening ?" - Darin Morgan
- "Look at the way they flew in the slew. Hats off to you. Woopy Doo!" - ICEMANJOE
cfm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2019, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

So further tests. I disconnected the pump output and placed a fuel line over the hose barb and routed it to a fuel can. Jumped the pump with 12V batter. The pump ran smoothly with no unusual noises and filled up a 6 can gas can. I would still like to do a fuel pressure test, but I have not yet found the shraeder tap in the fuel rail for the gauge.
cfm likes this.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
cfm
Super Advanced Member

No shraeder in the aluminum block/rail ? Hmmmm, is there an online repair manual link ?
PPP Charter Member #2

- "Look at the way they flew in the slew. Hats off to you. Woopy Doo!" - ICEMANJOE

Last edited by cfm; 01-04-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

The service manual I have only runs through 2012. It says valve is in the return line. But I don't see it, and they did make some changes to fuel delivery in the 2013 year.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Okay, found a 13 manual... the 13 does not have schraeder valve... there is a special adapter used by dealers to insert schraeder valve into the line for testing purpose.

Bummer.

Mike
cfm likes this.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
cfm
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc3 View Post
So further tests. I disconnected the pump output and placed a fuel line over the hose barb and routed it to a fuel can. Jumped the pump with 12V batter. The pump ran smoothly with no unusual noises and filled up a 6 can gas can. I would still like to do a fuel pressure test, but I have not yet found the shraeder tap in the fuel rail for the gauge.
You could do it if you looped the hose to the return barb on top of fuel pump assembly. Put inline gauge in middle of the hose 'loop'.Will hose clamps clamp it tight enough with the fuel pump fittings?

the regulator,I believe, is at the very end of return line in the tank........so this will give you atleast fuel pressure without engine running.
PPP Charter Member #2

Old 01-04-2019, 11:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Seems possible approach. I'll give it a try. Thanks for your insight.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement