Long time Polaris 2 stroke owner - HCS Snowmobile Forums

4-TEC / Ace 4 Strokes This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Default Long time Polaris 2 stroke owner

So most recently my 2013 Polaris switback pro r 600 decided to crack the mag side piston at 4300 miles. Rather than rebuild it I decided to sell it as is (someone should be picking it up this weekend). Initially I was dead set on a Polaris switchback assault 800, the more I got to thinking about it the more worried I got about buying another 2 stroke and having it blow up especially know that the assault 800 would be the most expensive sled I've ever purchased (always kept it about $10k or less but after taxes and warranty I'd be about $11,500 on the assault).

I then decided I'd go cheap and buy the carb 600 renegade for $6300. Good deal but figured I'd not enjoy it enough coming off my pro r. Wanted more of a throw away sled Incase it blows in 4K miles again. After a bunch of tossing around I decided on ski doo possibly e tech 600 or 4 stroke even considered Yamaha 4 stroke. I definitely decided on ski doo and 4 stroke but considered the 1200 and 900. Well after talking to a ton of dealerships I found a left over 2017 1200 renegade in the orange crush color for $9500 out the door. I really wanted the black but didn't think the 900 would get me where I want to be performance wise (only thing I hated about my 600 Polaris was it topped out around 85-90 mph and always wanted a little more on top end on those long UP trails). To get the black 1200 I'd have to either spend $3k more on a 2018 I found or go with a 129" track or 900ace. Decided I can live with the orange crush. Hoping to pick it up a week from today.

-Now onto the questions. I heard ski doo comes with a 3 year warranty is this true?
- how is the storage on this sled? Should I buy any extra storage bags? Which ones?
- the windshield seems big. Is there a sportier more aggressive one?
- any immediate mods?
- I read about clutching, header, exhaust and tune. Definitely things I want to do either next year or whenever warranty is up! My 600 was piped, clutched and had a ported intake plate. Had great mid range just lacked top end.

I still have a 2014 Polaris pro r 600 switchback. This is my wife's and it's a factory freak with only 2k miles. So I still have the 2 stroke if I want to ride it. Her dang 600 stock is faster than mine modded and pulls up to 100 mph on the trail. The thing will hang with 800's.

I'm really looking forward to the reliability of the 4 stroke and the ease of fill up and go with 87 and no oil to top off every morning. I average about 12-15 mpg on my 600's and hoping to get at least that fuel mileage with the 1200? I'm not too concerned with the weight of the sled. I'm 5'7" 225lbs and lifting weights is my mane hobby.
mieszanek13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): 08 Skidoo 600sdi

I just purchased a used GSX SE 1200 so I cannot be much help with your questions, but what i can tell you is to join DOOTalk. There are many knowledgeable people there who can help you out.

Congratulations on your new sled.
Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dskofich likes this.
Blacksheep7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 F8 Sno Pro HO / 2000 MXZ 600 Trail
Previous Sled(s): Lots of Cats and Doo's, few Yammys
Riding Since: 1990

I would seriously consider the Ace 900 Turbo, good balance of weight and power, with good durabilty. 150HP aint no sleeper either, I really want to drive one myself.
stinkipinki is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2019, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): NA
Previous Sled(s): T cat's, zrt's ZR's, xf 7000, wildcat and a bunch of others
Favorite Riding Area: Pinedale WY
18-19 Mileage 450
17-18 Mileage: 1100
16-17 Mileage: 750
15-16 Mileage: 100
Riding Since: 1977

my 2 cents here, as I own a 4 stroke XF 7000
don't kid yourself that these 4 strokes are any cheaper to maintain and or a LOT longer living machines
ONLY think that is really different ona 4 stroke is, NO oil to add while out trail riding, all other wear and tear is on sled
sure a top end might got twice as long or more, but many do still need some things done to them and , if you DON"T do your repairs and POM's yourself, a 4 stroke might actually end up costing more in care than a 2 stroke will even with a top end rebuild at its first needed time frame!

most dealers charge a 100+ bucks for an oil change, and pending what 4 stroke, a chain case fluid change can be another 200+ bucks, making a oil/chain case change be about 300-400 bucks at a dealer, a basic ONCE a yr deal!
400 bucks buys a lot of two cycle oil!

and also the WEIGHT of the sled, doesn't IMO have anything to do with HOW strong you are or are not, as its to many the FUN factor that gets the weight to suck some of the fun out of these sleds
and then the WEIGHT alone makes them many times PUSH in corners, all the muscle in the world doesn't change this weight and how it effects gravity!

don't get me wrong I am NOT bashing 4 strokes, I like mine,
but when deciding ona 4 stroke over a two stroke, it IMO really comes down to what STYLE of riding you want to do and what type of trails you ride on!

if you ride twisty trails and want to ride FAST, a 4 stroke IMO is a BAD choice, there are MUCH better sleds fort doing this riding
same as if you like ditch banging and or go fast in moguls!

again a 4 stroke does NOT shine in these places at all!

NOW speed??
if a 100 and more MPH"S is your FUN factor deal, then a 1200-900 ace and or a cat 7000/yamaha viper is also NOT the 4 stroke for you
the ONLY one you will want is a 9000 torbo/t cat/sidewinder
the others DON"T hit a 100 often and or fast! in stock form(minus MAYBE the new 900 ace turbo have no time on one to say either way)

but the basic 900-1200 and yama / cat NON turbo 4 strokes are NOT 100+ sleds in stock trim
' so there NOT going to make you happy on them BIG long trials

a 800 two stroke will be what you want WAY more than a 4 stroke NON turbo if speed matters to you and all the more so quickness of speed too!

as again, a 2 stroke 800 is still a more fun factor sled due to well, its a HP to LB ratio deal, and HOW that HP gets used and to the ground and protects sleds!

if your a HIGHER mile trail rider out to enjoy the day and just RIDE, nota ricky racer at all, a basic 4 stroke is a GREAT sled for this
if you want to bash moguls, race corner to corner and in the twisty's, a 2 stroke is what you SHOULD be on, less will have you maybe unhappy here
a turbo, 4 stroke will have the HP to make you smile, but I still doubt it will handle any where near a lighter 2 stroke in bumps and tight twisty trails
come long stretches and lakes and different game, but overall
two strokes are the more FUN factor toy of a sled IMO
mrbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 SBA 850
Previous Sled(s): too many to choose from

Quote:
Originally Posted by mieszanek13 View Post
- how is the storage on this sled? Should I buy any extra storage bags? Which ones?
- the windshield seems big. Is there a sportier more aggressive one?
got several friends with renegade 1200's , very versatile sleds.
Doo probably has the best luggage / accessory options with their LinQ system. Lower windshiels should also be plentiful.
id go to the doo dealer and get an accessory catalog - or check it out online.

For mileage , I usually get around 13, sometimes 14 on my 1200 GTX

Quote:
I would seriously consider the Ace 900 Turbo,
that would be way out of the OP's budget I think
ivar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '19 SD 900ACE
Previous Sled(s): '14 SD ACE
16-17 Mileage: 850+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep7 View Post
I just purchased a used GSX SE 1200 so I cannot be much help with your questions, but what i can tell you is to join DOOTalk. There are many knowledgeable people there who can help you out.

Congratulations on your new sled.
Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good advice from Blacksheep7 to join DooTalk as you will find more information there to answer your questions.

Not sure what type of riding you do but a lot of people like the 1200!

I have a 900Ace and for my riding it works well.

After having Polaris sleds for a long time, I have no regrets getting the Doo!

Enjoy the new sled!
xcsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Assault
Favorite Riding Area: Closest place with snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
most dealers charge a 100+ bucks for an oil change, and pending what 4 stroke, a chain case fluid change can be another 200+ bucks, making a oil/chain case change be about 300-400 bucks at a dealer, a basic ONCE a yr deal!
400 bucks buys a lot of two cycle oil!
Can do a top end on a 2 stroke for less than $400...

If you can go for a test ride you should. Ride the Assault and whichever 4st you feel is your best choice. Get some rebuild/maintenance quotes and then decide.
ICEMANJOE likes this.
Deephaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): NA
Previous Sled(s): T cat's, zrt's ZR's, xf 7000, wildcat and a bunch of others
Favorite Riding Area: Pinedale WY
18-19 Mileage 450
17-18 Mileage: 1100
16-17 Mileage: 750
15-16 Mileage: 100
Riding Since: 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deephaven View Post
Can do a top end on a 2 stroke for less than $400...

If you can go for a test ride you should. Ride the Assault and whichever 4st you feel is your best choice. Get some rebuild/maintenance quotes and then decide.
not at a dealer LOL
but agree, if you do your own work, you also wouldn;t be paying 400 for an oil and chaincase change too
so, comes down to what your skill set is and what a dealer will be doing for you!
mrbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I bought the new left over 2017 1200 renegade adrenaline. Probably could have fixed my sled for a decent price but it was $1,750 for parts no labor. Maybe I could have gotten the parts cheaper somewhere else but either way I was ready for an upgrade.
skidont likes this.
mieszanek13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Current Sled(s): 3-1998 THUNDERCATS 03 F7 02 ZR 440 Polaris Ya
Previous Sled(s): John Deere Yamaha Arctic Cat Polaris Rupp
Favorite Riding Area: ICE
Riding Since: 1980

Good luck with it.

$1,750 in parts is a lot. I've done any 2Stroke repair ever for less.......now saw one in half and hit Ski Doo injectors with parts could get up there.

Local has a 1200. Maintainaance.......not much.......2 windshields, and some bags........other than weight watch out if it's very cold and you run your battery down.....starting one is nearly impossible........and own one long enough it happens.
ICEMANJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement