Hardcore Sledder banner

Ace 900 conclusions!

31K views 86 replies 32 participants last post by  SnoKing 
#1 ·
I bought the Ace 900 for my wife because she wanted a 4 stroke with no smoke and same performance as her 2010 cat 500LXR. I hate to say it but she liked her cat better and can understand why. I love the sled and how it runs and it makes my job less easier with maintenance but this is the problem. It is not quite as comfortable as her can and i'm not sure if it is the electric throttle or what but to keep up with everyone you have to ride it much harder that if she was on he cat. I tried it and had to agree with her that you have to be on the throttle constantly. My son has the etech and she tried that an loved it and unfortunately i think i will be looking for another etech and getting rid of this 900. A happy wife makes a Happy Life!! its a 2015 red GSX and only has 750 miles and mint if someone is interested in trading.

#7 ·
There must be something wrong, I have no problem keeping up with 800cc sleds with my ACE 900 on the trail. I would recommend you go to DooTalk and see what these guys and gals have to say. The 900 ACE Line up has to be the one of the best if not the best trail sled on the market today.

#18 ·
The secondary clutch actually broke and skidoo replaced everything. If I line up to my sons etech, everyone is correct and it hangs with the etech up till about 75 so it is not an engine problem. And Yes We always run in the sport mode otherwise we would be wide open all the time. My point is that you have to be way more aggressive on the throttle to keep up. I know that not all people ride like we do and we cruise right along.

#22 ·
I came off a 2014 600 X Etec to a 2016 900 Blizzard mainly because I put so many miles running in Quebec, VT, NH, ME trails running hard. I have never had to stay on the throttle WOT all the time in Standard or sport mode. I did 1300 miles with it last season in Quebec. On occasion yes WOT but find the 3 modes pretty awesome plus I'm not looking at flushing cash once the odometer hits 5k. The pluses far outweigh the negatives. But it isn't for everyone. I'm a pretty spirited rider who crew runs at a good clip. The 900s are an easy sell if you are looking to dump it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I'm looking for a 900 but Maine is a bit far. I wonder though if it's the engine braking, some get used to and love it but some don't. Easy enough to adjust, check the opening tension of the secondary with a fish scale, on the 1200's factory spec is 16-18lbs, more tension = more engine braking, less tension = less engine braking but you can go too low and cause the sled to be slow on the backshift. My (used)1200 was set at 28lbs w the Dalton spring and wanted to throw me over the bars if I chopped the throttle. I reset the helix to give me 19-20lbs and am very happy, just enough engine braking to slow me down in a corner without feeling like I just pulled the ejection handle.

#24 ·
I put 260 miles on the 900 this weekend and it just isnt for me and now see why my wife is lagging behind. The reasons i dont like it is it just doesn't have enough power! Front end is to heavy and it just isnt as fun as a 2 stroke etech. I just might surprise her with a new etech anyways.

#26 ·
I had the Cat 5000 (1100na). Went on vacation, put on 2,000 miles, came home and sold it for peanuts. I hated it. Had two ACE 900's since, total mileage on the two 900's is almost 17,000 miles.
Guess we are all different in what we like. The 900 ACE is the best sled I've owned in over 50 years of riding.
mike

#27 ·
I agree with skidont. I bought a 900 ACE for my wife last year and she love it. It is a 0 - 70mph sled though and will pull with a 600 to that speed, but you need to run in sport mode if an aggressive rider is on it.
Could be your wife needs more jam than the 900 ace, if so, I love the etec motors for sure!!!
I ride an 800 etec, but have riden the 600 etec and it has great jam.

#33 ·
My wife rides a 16 renegade and never complains about lack of power but what she has said is the sled "feels unstable" so I decided to take it for a spin and holy crap it darted like crazy in most conditions and I could never get it adjusted out completely. A set of Dooly carbides fixed it right up. Tracks nice a straight just a tiny bit of push in the corners but the sled is much much more predictable now and she can ride it as hard as she wants with the confidence its going to go where pointed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.