900 ace satisfaction poll - HCS Snowmobile Forums

4-TEC / Ace 4 Strokes This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Default 900 ace satisfaction poll

Guys,
Who on here has came off a higher Hp sled and went to the 900 ace and have been happy with your decision.
I am contemplating selling my 2011 GSX SE 1200 and getting something newer.Then I came along some of the reviews and comments about the 900.
I think that the 900 in a renegade might be a strong candidate for me.

I ride 95% trails and only off trail if i need to get to a groomed trail or play out in the fresh stuff alongside the trail but very rairly.

I like to be have good wind protection and nice midrange power .

My questions are more along the lines of do you like the 900, is it strong enough for you does it have good wind protection etc...
tlmunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2015, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I know that the ? is in reference to the 900, but I give you feedback on my situation. 09 800xp that I absolutely love but often I rather take my 600ace for the long comfortable relaxing trail rides. The only time I choose the 800 is if my riding buddies will be racing at a specific lake or trail section. I've never had difficulty keeping up with the group on my 600ace. In fact I still find myself often waiting for others to catch up. The 900ace in a renegade would be my choice if I were buying new. Great gas mileage, quiet, reliable... If after a year you decide its not working for you, you'll have little difficulty selling it. The ones on CL don't last long.
twinpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 1200 renegade
Previous Sled(s): ALOT !!
Favorite Riding Area: northern wis - northern Mn
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 3117
17-18 Mileage: 2066
16-17 Mileage: 1936
Riding Since: 1968

I am all in on the 900 ACE but going to the 129 for strictly trail riding , I have had the 600 etec (2012) and 1200 (2009) . they were nice but I prefer the 4 stroke
skidont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2007 Renegade 800, 2014 Renegade Ace 900
Previous Sled(s): 1998 XC 700, Indy RXL, Indy 650, Indy 500
Riding Since: 1989

I still ride my 07 Renegade 800, but think the Ace 900 I bought for my wife and kids to ride is awesome. I am not in the market to buy, maybe in a couple of years. I bought the 2014 Ace 900 to keep everyone happy, from me with 25+ years experience to my wife and kids with only 3-5 years experience, and so far my money was well spent, as it has put a smile on all our faces. I do like having the top end power, so I would still be on the fence if I was looking to buy. I know the low end power up to 70 mph is great, and is more than satisfying. But I still like to push it up to 90-100mph in the straight aways, and enjoy the feel of how my 800 pulls on the top end. If most of your riding is under 80 mph, and top end is not a concern, then the Ace is perfect.

As for wind protection, the Rev XS chassis with the stock windshield is cold. But that all depends on what your used to riding. From what I have read, the 1200's had good wind deflection in the XR chassis, and was a warm sled. You will definitely feel the difference, as I noticed it going from my 07 Rev to the Ace 900 on the XS chassis.
jaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 Renegade 900
Previous Sled(s): '14 TNT 900, "16 Rene 900
Favorite Riding Area: Riviere du Loup, Nomtmagny
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 6,500
16-17 Mileage: 5,000
Riding Since: 1965

Just traded my 900 TNT with 11,000 miles for a '16 Renegade 900.
The 900 TNT was best sled I've owned in 50 years of riding.
mike
Old 03-27-2015, 07:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 13 Ren-X BC 800, 15 GSX LE, 05 Mach Z 1000
Previous Sled(s): many
Favorite Riding Area: Pittsburg, NH
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 4000
Riding Since: 1982

Great sled- If you lust for more power add the cudney clutch - makes huge difference on top end, adds approx 10-15 hp.

Go to dootalk if you want lots of info on the 900. A forum there specific to it with tons of info.

chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home rental overlooking 1st Connecticut Lake in Pittsburg-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrmer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 14' XF8000 SP
Previous Sled(s): F8, ZL800, Wildcat
Favorite Riding Area: The County

I bought a 14 TNT for the wife. I cant say I'm a huge fan. It has enough power for trail riding, torque is good. My biggest issue is with the modulation of the electronic throttle and brakes. The throttle is not very linear and very sensitive in sport mode and regular. In fact when riding in whooped up trails your body pitch can cause you to surge throttle on and off, hurky, jerky type motion. It drives me bat shit crazy. I have not tried adjusting the throttle position, perhaps a different angle could prevent this? My wife doesn't seem to mind it, so I haven't messed with it. The brake requires too much force to really grab, not as good as my cat brake. Perhaps it needs to be bled? I'm not a fan of the stock seating position, the sled feels small and bars are too low. This machine needs a larger riser for my liking. I get off that and get on my Cat and realize the difference, the cat fits me much better.

I would recommend the machine for some folks, not all. There are times it doesn't have enough juice for my liking, more of a thrill feeling. Add a longer track and a bigger guy +200lbs i would go for the 1200 Doo or something else.

Last edited by ecdlmd02; 03-28-2015 at 10:24 AM.
ecdlmd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pebbles

Current Sled(s): 2015 Axys Switchback 800 - 60th Anniversary.
Previous Sled(s): 07 Yam Attak; 05 Pol Switchback 800; 03 Pol XC700; many more
Favorite Riding Area: Maine; Quebec; Ontario
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1130
Riding Since: 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaks View Post
I still ride my 07 Renegade 800, but think the Ace 900 I bought for my wife and kids to ride is awesome. I am not in the market to buy, maybe in a couple of years. I bought the 2014 Ace 900 to keep everyone happy, from me with 25+ years experience to my wife and kids with only 3-5 years experience, and so far my money was well spent, as it has put a smile on all our faces.
Like to hear this.... I just snow checked an Enduro 900 Ace for my wife. Same boat as you... I have an Axys Switchback 800. We've got a 6 and 5 yr old, so this sled fit the bill perfectly. Especially with the Linq 1+1 seat setup!

I'll be taking the Enduro with me on long trips as a spare... Can't allow downtime on trips.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming: Holy Shit! What a ride!"
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Sidewinder
Previous Sled(s): 09-11 1200 Doo's lots of Cats
Riding Since: 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdlmd02 View Post
I bought a 14 TNT for the wife. I cant say I'm a huge fan. It has enough power for trail riding, torque is good. My biggest issue is with the modulation of the electronic throttle and brakes. The throttle is not very linear and very sensitive in sport mode and regular. In fact when riding in whooped up trails your body pitch can cause you to surge throttle on and off, hurky, jerky type motion. It drives me bat shit crazy. I have not tried adjusting the throttle position, perhaps a different angle could prevent this? My wife doesn't seem to mind it, so I haven't messed with it. The brake requires too much force to really grab, not as good as my cat brake. Perhaps it needs to be bled? I'm not a fan of the stock seating position, the sled feels small and bars are too low. This machine needs a larger riser for my liking. I get off that and get on my Cat and realize the difference, the cat fits me much better.

I would recommend the machine for some folks, not all. There are times it doesn't have enough juice for my liking, more of a thrill feeling. Add a longer track and a bigger guy +200lbs i would go for the 1200 Doo or something else.
If you like your Cat then there is no way you will be a fan of any Ski Doo. I have been on many late model Cats and there is nothing I like about them over my Ski Doo's. They feel cheap and the ride and handling is something I don't want to get used to. The ergos are also uncomfortable for me. When I get back on my Doo I wonder to myself who would like to ride that thing? Now I know.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '12 Cat LXR F1100, '14 Doo GSX 900 ACE
Previous Sled(s): 06 Doo GTX 600,'02 Yammi Viper,'96 XT 600,'95 Polaris XLT SP

Our family loves our GSX 900. We also have a '12 Cat 1100na that is great also.
My son prefers the Cat.
My wife and I prefer the 900 overall.
Other friends and family are pretty much split what they prefer after spending some time on them.
The consensous for our group is:
The Cat steers easier (same 6" Bergstrom triple point set up on both) and the front suspension feels better compared to the 900.
The seat and rear suspension are more plush on the 900.
The Doo is quiet, smooth and refined like a BMW. The Cat is louder and more like a Harley.
Both cool and fun to ride though.
midwestridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement