Considering an XP....Any updates to the 800R? - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XP/XR/XS New Style MXZ This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 13 Switchback 800
Previous Sled(s): 12 Assault, 14 XF8000, 11 Assault, REV 800s
Favorite Riding Area: Ontario
Riding Since: 1987

I do know that the 800R is a lot better in terms of fuel economy compared to the old 800ho ptek.

it is signifigantly better than the cleanfire700 polaris as well.
killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '17 Pro-S 800 SB, '16 Viper LTX,
Previous Sled(s): '13 Pro-R 800, '10 600 TNT Carb, '05 F6 Retro
Favorite Riding Area: VT & Lake George, NY
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 970
17-18 Mileage: 880
16-17 Mileage: 920
Riding Since: 1981

Quote:
Yes,on the 800,you eill still have a choke ,and you also are correct,the sdi is not battery less. I'm not positive ,but I believe the battery is much smaller than the "regular" battery you'd have with E.S.

I'm sure someone who has an sdi will input as to the battery.! [/b]
Yes, you need to add another battery for electric start. The SDI battery is mall compared to the ES battery.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

we're not really comparing apples to apples here. The 800R is only in a summit this yr, which is geared much different than a trail sled. I get 9-13mpg. I use my summit like a summit should be used, If I'm on a trail, I'm usually breaking it(the trail, Not the sled!!) If I'm climbing big deep mountain powder, that when she drops down to 9. When I'm out with the wife and kids playing in the swamps, not getting in the throttle much, thats when i get 13. I would say my real average is about 10.5. I currently have 1200 miles on the sled right now, and am on my second belt, the first one didn't blow up, just got a little skinny for climbing. The only thing, I would complain about, is this sled goes thru oil!!! gas mileage is good, but oil milage isn't. 2 tanks of gas to 1 tank of oil, my other sleds were better than that. I'm not fouling plugs, and she starts every time on the 1st or 2nd pull, so i don't know were the oil is going, maybe i should check for a hole!!!! totally happy with this sled, and i wouldn't worry about the 600 sdi either, that is amazing with fuel. The guys running the iron dog (2000+miles) were getting 20-22 miles per gallon......RACING!!!!! I just picked a 600 summit up for the wife and she loves it.
thats my 2 cents
Tim
TBLOOMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. That last one was helpful as i was not aware that the 800R was only in the Summit for 2007. I'm really leaning towards the 600SDI at the moment but i would like more opinions. Not that i'm a speed junky or anything (heck, i'm looking at a GSX!) but it's nice to have the power under the hood for those special times. What kind of top end can i expect from the 600SDI vs the 800R in something like a GSX? Again i'm talking about wide flat trails (ie Canada). Thanks.
gizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): MXZ XRS 600R
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1500
17-18 Mileage: 250
Riding Since: 1989

Quote:
Yes,on the 800,you eill still have a choke ,and you also are correct,the sdi is not battery less. I'm not positive ,but I believe the battery is much smaller than the "regular" battery you'd have with E.S.

I'm sure someone who has an sdi will input as to the battery.! [/b]
If you don't buy E.S the battery is tiny. Our buddy with an X-RS has one and we took all the foam casing off the battery and it is very small and weighs very little.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 XRS Renegade

the battery is small on the SDI without ES, they fill the battery box with foam. I would not do ES on the 600SDI, I did and it really wasn't worth it for how easy it pulls even in cold weather.

I really want an injected 800, the SDI in a renegade is worth low 80's consistently hitting 90 in good conditioons you'll get another 4-5 out of a short track. Issue isn't really speed to me I think I was over 80 for maybe 20 miles this winter my issue is it's not quick from 50-70 like an 800 or my old 700 was.
legend700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. That last one was helpful as i was not aware that the 800R was only in the Summit for 2007. I'm really leaning towards the 600SDI at the moment but i would like more opinions. Not that i'm a speed junky or anything (heck, i'm looking at a GSX!) but it's nice to have the power under the hood for those special times. What kind of top end can i expect from the 600SDI vs the 800R in something like a GSX? Again i'm talking about wide flat trails (ie Canada). Thanks.[/b]
FYI the 800 will go likes a bastid, trust me. Handle bar yank will be quite high. Exactly like the mxzx, even more so with a 26T top gear as opposed to the "x" with a 27T. I ride pretty aggressive except in the HUGE whoops where I slow it down. I'm going for the gsx exclusively for the vr shock. The polaris I have owned with the pps shock(similar to VR) have always gave the best ride and were very capable in saturday afternoon trail junk. I also like the red over the yel or black. I usually only run one small mirror and the gsx comes with two..a tad goofy but I'll live with it. The extra storage out back and the wider and no doubt more comfy seat is another bonus. Many will overlook the gsx for the mxz snocrosser look. Another bonus for me as I hope there wont be many red xp's out there in the sea of yellow wannabes. I just hope they stay out of my way cause I'll be huffing down that trail pretty fast on this baby.
HotROdLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement