Hardcore Sledder banner

850 or 900 turbo opinions

10K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  sailinghudson25 
#1 ·
What are you doo guys opinions comparing 850 to new ace turbo. About 40 LBS difference from what I read but how does the little turbo motor perform comparing and do you really feel the weight in the nose trail riding?

#2 ·
Being on 4 strokes for many years and can get used to the weight. I rode 2 turbo ace 900 sleds and the one with a tune felt pretty light for sure. i prefer the lighter sled though but the the ace is as close to light weight that you can get right now.

#3 ·
You'll get answers both ways... After riding a 1200 for a few years I went 850 this year and will never go back to a 4 stroke due to the weight and feel. *TO ME* they are so much more fun for aggressive trail riding with the lighter weight and snappy throttle. I don't do lake racing or top speed runs.

#5 ·
I love my 900t but you kinda need to know you want a 4 stroke and why. For me, I am what would be considered a "sport touring" rider. I do 300 mile days often and not one single mile of it would be off trail. If I am off trail something seriously went wrong. The fuel economy is very good if you aren't constantly into the boost, I often get 140 miles before I need to look for fuel. With my aux fuel can it's good for way over 230 miles and that is impressive. No 2 stroke oil to deal with, not like it's a major thing but I enjoy not having to deal with that at all.

What you really want to know is how it handles, and it's very good. Yes, it's heavy, grab the bumper and give it a tug and you feel it for sure, but like everyone says that weight is fairly invisible while riding. The Gen 4 wide is a great chassis, I'm really happy with the seating position and how it handles.

I got my 900t in late January of last year, traded in my '13 800 etec and my '14 1200 4tec for it and it's got 2k miles on it. Great sled but I'd suggest getting some seat time on a 4 stroke before going with one.

#6 ·
Stock vs stock they're close. Yes you'll notice the extra weight up front. The turbo will run relatively forever. Most 850s will be good for 10K+miles. Pick your poison.

IMHO four strokes are great on big trails but if you ride tight twisty trails I say stick with a 2-stroke. This is my opinion after spending 3 years on a Doo 1200.

#7 ·
This is my opinion after spending 3 years on a Doo 1200.
I traded my '14 1200 Renegade after 7200 miles for this 900t. They are not even the same ballpark. The 900t handles infinitely lighter than the nose heavy and sluggish 1200. I could ride my 12 pretty fast through the twisties but this 900t is way more flickable. Love my 900t on tight trails. IMHO a 4 stroke excels in the tight stuff just because you have instant torque down low. There is so much more 0-45 mph power than my big bore 2 strokes ever had. On big, wide open trails I want my 800 etec though. Direct opposite as most people believe.

0-60mph power and speed is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY more than my 800 etc. Not even a contest.

60-100mph acceleration/pull is slightly better on my 800 etc.

Can't sum it up any better than that, but I had to point it out because it's direct opposite as everyone thinks.

#8 ·
If you ride a majority of really tight twisty trails and "light is right" then a 600R is actually the best sled for the job. I had a string of 600 Etec's, bullet proof reliable, will run all day on 87 pump gas found fresh in nearly every station on the planet and oil consumption is not even in the same universe as 850 owners (that actually use all of that 850 HP) are consuming. My 600's no matter how hard they were ridden were averaging 750 miles on a full tank of oil.

Why did I go to a four stroke? Bought a 900 Ace for my son in 2014. He is still riding it today and it's the lowest cost of ownership sled I have ever purchased. Quiet, smooth, excellent torque and runs with any 600 from 0-80MPH. Again, burns any fuel and economy is even better than the 600 Etec's. That actually matters when you fuel more than one sled at the pump every day.

So, I picked up a 1200 in 16' and put 3 seasons on it. Then, took one test ride on an XRS 900T last spring and was sold immediately. Handling is so much better, performance across the board is better and the G4 chassis does feel so much lighter even though the published weights are nearly the same. In fact my 1200 Blizzard was a few lbs less than the 900T XRS but felt heavier and much less nimble. Just like the 900 Ace in NA form Doo nailed the marriage of the engine and chassis and it's the overall balance of the sled that makes it feel the way it does.

Nothing wrong with an 850 as long as you don't mind burning oil, worrying about longevity and when to trade it off to avoid the dreaded and inevitable burn down, worry about the quality of fuel at those remote and small town gas stations. All reasons why I am on gas and go four strokes. The fact that Doo and Cat/Yam keep making them better? Just icing on the cake. Poo better get their ass in the game or get left behind.....

#11 ·
I have friends who own both and I have ridden both. And both sleds are REAL GOOD.

In a drag race or boondocking, the 850 wins easily; not that the 900T is a slouch.

But if you are a high-mile trail rider that sticks to the groomed trails and keeps your sled for year, then the 900T is the better sled for that type of riding.

#12 ·
Have to agree with jdskycaster above. Depends on what trails you are doing and any off trail you do. I have had 1200's, 900 ace, 850, 600R and now the 900T. 900T does not even compare to the 1200. Does not even feel nose heavy. Doo has it right with the G4 now. So balanced also. 1st year for me on the 900T and have 335 miles on mine and I ride almost all twisted trails in northern Wisconsin. No problem for me anyway. I have the 1.5 ice ripper on mine and believe me it goes>>>>>>>

Reactions: dskofich
#16 ·
Hey Team;

Ive got a Cat Turbo and rode the Ace Turbo on an extended test ride. Honestly I loved it. Like others here I'm a groomed trail rider with zero desire to go off trail. The one I rode is the Renegade X model.

The Ace didn't have the power my Cat does but I think it was of a more rounded sled if you will as the longer skid at 137 bridged the bumps better than my 129 Cat. I think the Ace is lighter too but couldn't prove it. I wish they would do a real world weight test.

The seating position on the Turbo is higher and more forward than my Cat too. It gave me the feeling of more confidence not sure why.

So far I've not heard any feedback of problems on the ACE. For a first year intro to a new sled that's great.

I did not ride the 850. That's on the bucket list for this year.

Hope this helps and thanks for this great site!

Teamgreen

#18 ·
What you end up buying? The 4 stroke motors are quiet and well mannered. Those who really enjoy 2 strokes don't appreciate quiet and well mannered.

Not many go back to 2 stroke after 4 stroke.

Also, you a one sled guy? Or do you use your older sled as a fun beater for awhile?

Going from polaris 2 strokes to getting my wife a 600 ace grand touring, huge difference........ Besides the slower part, it is soooo nice to have a quiet and smooth machine for awhile.

Hear too much complaining about the air suspension...... I'd first pick the chassis with traditional suspension over what motor it had. MY choice would not be the 600 ace at all myself though.

Another thought.... How long do you keep a sled? Yamaha and arctic cat guys are getting 10 years with no major problems on their sleds. This is cruising. I think brusin' on a sled, high rpm and what not. 4 stroke will have some problems at some time...... IF you buy a different / new sled every 3 years or so, 2 stroke might be more interesting.

Look at what you really enjoy while your sledding, and see if a 4 stroke will fit that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.