08 FST flat line at WOT - HCS Snowmobile Forums

FST/4 stroke This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 08 FST flat line at WOT

Hey all, Ive had a 2008 FST IQLX since 2010. I have done most all of the updates found on Polaris files, but I forgot my password and I cannot get anyone to answer my email requests so I thought I would try here. I notices this year upon start up my fuel pump has been making a high pitched whining noise. My last ride towards the end of the day when fuel was getting low I noticed the turbo would derate and could hear and feel bogging and one back fire when I mashed the throttle. My boost gauge would read around 16 lbs at top but quickly drop off as I gradually went passed 3/4. Bummed me out totally, and it seemed sluggish all day. Not the usual torquey pull that makes you smile when you exceed speeds that make you wanna pee your pants .
I pulled the fuel pump and all the octopus of lines and pick ups. the lines are not destroyed but are beginning to stiffen up and shed the white crap. also the front pickup screen looks brown. lots of white crap in the bottom of the tank. Ive always run premium and this year started running Rec. Fuel.
I watched the video on replacing the fuel lines on line in an 07' great video (thanks!). However, instead of going through the whole process and expense of changing the lines has anyone bought a new fuel pump with the strainer and installed it rather than the two pickups and new ethanol resistant fuel lines?? sorry for the lengthy post.
Gsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
cfm
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 900 Fuse-10,200miles and going / 06 600HO M10
Riding Since: 3 BC

If you are contemplating getting rid of the extra lines and pickups and going to a single strainer, I would really consider a Holley Hydramat instead of a conventional strainer. You would have to determine which size/shape Hydramat.
PPP Charter Member #2

-"Your motor will tell you what it wants. Are you listening ?" - Darin Morgan
- "Look at the way they flew in the slew. Hats off to you. Woopy Doo!" - ICEMANJOE
cfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '07' FST IQ
Previous Sled(s): 98XLT Classic-'96'Vmax-'78'Doo-'71'AC
Favorite Riding Area: LH Pa. - Central Vt. - U.P.
16-17 Mileage: 850mi.
Riding Since: '74'

There is also a screen on the bottom of the fuel pump housing that may be causing your problem. Before changing the fuel pickup routing be sure to consider the shape of the tank and how effectively it will work when going up/down hills. B.
BinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement