may be the end of chevy for me - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Discussion Forum A place for all off topic discussions. Forum Rules inside

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: salisbury, speculator, cny

meathead ,that hurts . how was that american sled ?my polaris sleds have all been awesome . i've spent a lot of my American money on chevy trucks . same shit happens every time . you should send that response to the government . after all it's not a chinese truck . i can buy what i want and it's not like i haven't tried to buy chevy trucks . this is my 4th one . as for wash and wax , the body on this truck is very nice . always kept clean inside and out . i want to see you wax the brake lines , backing plates , fuel lines , etc . i do live in ny state and do tow a sled . after each trip it gets washed top and bottom . look up the subject of "rotted brake lines on 2004 silverado " and you will see it's not just me . the nhtsa almost did a recall . since the government was bailing them out of years of making sub-par vehicles they probably didn't want to sink them again . anyway i'm just tired of rust . if the jap truck rusts it may be easier to accept since it is a jap truck . 3 of my friends have them with no issues . they don't tow and that's what i was asking on here . not a stab at my loyalty to this country . i buy as much "made in usa " as i can but we all know it's getting harder . another thing , these tundras are made in usa . when i worked at the chevy dealer more and more of the parts were made in taiwan and china and that's a fact ! hardly an american truck . if the rest of the truck was as good as the 5.3 engine is they would really have something .
sleepybrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

super 8 , sounds like you need work boots .
Old 04-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
18-19 Mileage not much
15-16 Mileage: Zero
Riding Since: 70 s

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit high View Post
you should love the toyota !! it will never rust , and it will never break down !!!!
EVER !!!!!!!!! the 4.7 pulls well
Been real happy with my 06 4.7 extended cab tundra. Its had non of the issues my older chevys or gmcs had. I've got 75k miles on it ....zero rust, recently did the brakes. Other than that all original except for fluid changes. Hardest thing is keeping other idiots on the road from hitting it.
A buddy of mine still has his 01 4.7 sr5 tundra....its got over 260k miles...no major rust...only minor surface rust on the chassis undersides...got a clean bill from the toyota inspectors for frame recalls. Truck still has the original exhaust system and runs perfect.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Admin

Current Sled(s): 2020 Indy XC 850 137 On the way
Previous Sled(s): Many Poo's & Doo's 1 POS Cat
Favorite Riding Area: Northeast WI, UP
18-19 Mileage 1470
17-18 Mileage: 684
16-17 Mileage: 694
15-16 Mileage: 1112
Riding Since: 1968

Chevy, Toyota, and Cat all suck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A05GSHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a05gsho View Post
Chevy, Toyota, and Cat all suck.
you forgot ford.
FAT DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

18-19 Mileage not much

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt6195 View Post
I personally think it's all on how people take care of their vehicles. I got a buddy and his wife...she has a 2007 yota Camry and He has 2006 F-150...both vehicles are rusting...however they have a heated garage and neither of them wash their stuff during th winter. Salty roads end cars fast without washing. Sold my 99 without any rust on it. I also gave my 96 Jimmy to my parents with no rust. However I was my vehicles in the winter and I also put a good hand wax on it once a month.
X2...here in the salt belt you have to get after the stuff at least once a month and give the vehicle a good wash. I'll wax my truck once a year around the end of spring after all the bad weather is over. This year was one of the worse in memory for the use of salt products....seen a lot of vehicles in the 5 year old range with rust forming. My wifes 04 trail blazer would be a rust bucket by now if i didn't take care of it....she thinks keeping it in our heated garage is good enough and will prevent it from ever rusting.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

18-19 Mileage not much

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepybrew View Post
meathead ,that hurts . how was that american sled ?my polaris sleds have all been awesome . i've spent a lot of my American money on chevy trucks . same shit happens every time . you should send that response to the government . after all it's not a chinese truck . i can buy what i want and it's not like i haven't tried to buy chevy trucks . this is my 4th one . as for wash and wax , the body on this truck is very nice . always kept clean inside and out . i want to see you wax the brake lines , backing plates , fuel lines , etc . i do live in ny state and do tow a sled . after each trip it gets washed top and bottom . look up the subject of "rotted brake lines on 2004 silverado " and you will see it's not just me . the nhtsa almost did a recall . since the government was bailing them out of years of making sub-par vehicles they probably didn't want to sink them again . anyway i'm just tired of rust . if the jap truck rusts it may be easier to accept since it is a jap truck . 3 of my friends have them with no issues . they don't tow and that's what i was asking on here . not a stab at my loyalty to this country . i buy as much "made in usa " as i can but we all know it's getting harder . another thing , these tundras are made in usa . when i worked at the chevy dealer more and more of the parts were made in taiwan and china and that's a fact ! hardly an american truck . if the rest of the truck was as good as the 5.3 engine is they would really have something .
Thats exactly the same conclusions i came to owning my last two sierras...good motor and tranny....just too bad the rest of the truck was such a pos.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

thanks too slow . that's what i am looking for . honest opinions , even if they say bad things . i just want them from experience . the 06 models didn't seem to have frame issues . it will be 5-6 years old now so any rust issue should be apparent by now . i chose the chevy i have now off the lot at the dealer i worked for because the frame and undercarriage was near new , still black with no rust . i tried my hardest to keep it that way and the frame still looks pretty good . the fuel lines , brake lines , backing plates , all shot . poor quality and bad mounting causing rot . they should have known that the clamps would eat into the line and hold salt . my audi and vw cars have plastic lines , never an issue . no rust at all on my 96 a4 quattro that has lived in ny all it's life . honestly , i don't wash under it and it looks like a 1 year old car . why can't gm offer a northeast package with stainless lines or some thing that will take the salt . i would pay extra . after all i have to pay now , what's the difference ? oh i know , no rot means no near-death brake failure .
Old 04-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Executive Administrative Asst.

Current Sled(s): 06 doo
Previous Sled(s): 06 apex
Favorite Riding Area: Tugg Hill

My boss's 99 silverado has 230k..a brake line just went a week ago...he bought the truck new.
Lines are f'd.
He got a quote of 800 to replace them all...seems like a lot.
He is driving his car now.
I don't think he ever wahed under it.
I like your idea about a salt belt package.

Capt.Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 F1100 Turbo Sno Pro Limited
Previous Sled(s): 10 Z1 Turbo; 06 Firecat 500
Favorite Riding Area: Northern MI
Riding Since: 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit high View Post
you should love the toyota !! it will never rust , and it will never break down !!!!
EVER !!!!!!!!! the 4.7 pulls well
You should do your homework before posting something like this.

Toyota Launches Tundra Frame Replacement Program | Tundra Headquarters
Advertisement