Snowmobile sales drop 24.2% worldwide, registrations also decline - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Discussion Forum A place for all off topic discussions. Forum Rules inside

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Sad sales are way down to 111,500 used to be 290,00.

US and Canada sales are very close now, US should have 10 times the sales.

Real reason besides economy and poor snow is stupid nuts prices for new sleds and the f$%^&g rip off manufactures have for Canadians making us pay up to $4,000 or more for the same sled when our dollars are now close to equal. Enough of this Bull Shit. Same price on both sides of the border fair is fair.

Here is the American Snowmobiler article.

Snowmobile sales drop 24.2% worldwide, registrations also decline
By Mark Savage
clark-shot
Photo by Stephen W Clark
Snowmobile sales fell again last season as economies around the world struggled through the recession.
Worldwide snowmobile sales fell 24.2 % to 111,492 units from 147,066 in the 2008-’09 season.
U.S. sales dropped 21% to 48,599 snowmobiles from 61,593 the year before. Likewise Canadian sled sales dropped 23.9% to 37,670 from 49,510 sleds sold the previous season.
The figures are compiled by the International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association (ISMA), which also reported that snowmobile registrations fell 9.2% nationally last season.
Ed Klim, ISMA’s president, blamed a number of factors, but the economy was No. 1. In the U.S., the struggling auto industry, which laid off many workers in both Michigan and Ontario, was a major deterrent to sales and registrations.
Klim said that the loss of manufacturing jobs in Ontario, coupled with a horrible snow season there contributed largely to Canada’s decreased snowmobile sales. While overseas the devaluation of Russia’s rubble vs. the Euro, along with falling oil prices that hit Russian snowmobilers in their wallets, cut sled sales dramatically. Russia is a major oil exporter and the uptick in that industry had been fueling sled sales for several years.
cobragt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not much
Riding Since: 70 s

Not surprised a bit. Not only are new sled prices up there, you have less people with less disposable income every year.
Current Obama-nomics is not helping either....its only going to get worse from what i see.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 15 ZR600RR TH Edition/10SP500
Previous Sled(s): 2012 POS F8 LXR\14 SWBACK 800 Pro-r
Favorite Riding Area: U.P.
Riding Since: 1995

QUOTE (cobragt @ Jul 13 2010, 03:14 PM)
Quote:
Sad sales are way down to 111,500 used to be 290,00.

US and Canada sales are very close now, US should have 10 times the sales.

Real reason besides economy and poor snow is stupid nuts prices for new sleds and the f$%^&g rip off manufactures have for Canadians making us pay up to $4,000 or more for the same sled when our dollars are now close to equal. Enough of this Bull Shit. Same price on both sides of the border fair is fair.

Here is the American Snowmobiler article.

Snowmobile sales drop 24.2% worldwide, registrations also decline
By Mark Savage
clark-shot
Photo by Stephen W Clark
Snowmobile sales fell again last season as economies around the world struggled through the recession.
Worldwide snowmobile sales fell 24.2 % to 111,492 units from 147,066 in the 2008-’09 season.
U.S. sales dropped 21% to 48,599 snowmobiles from 61,593 the year before. Likewise Canadian sled sales dropped 23.9% to 37,670 from 49,510 sleds sold the previous season.
The figures are compiled by the International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association (ISMA), which also reported that snowmobile registrations fell 9.2% nationally last season.
Ed Klim, ISMA’s president, blamed a number of factors, but the economy was No. 1. In the U.S., the struggling auto industry, which laid off many workers in both Michigan and Ontario, was a major deterrent to sales and registrations.
Klim said that the loss of manufacturing jobs in Ontario, coupled with a horrible snow season there contributed largely to Canada’s decreased snowmobile sales. While overseas the devaluation of Russia’s rubble vs. the Euro, along with falling oil prices that hit Russian snowmobilers in their wallets, cut sled sales dramatically. Russia is a major oil exporter and the uptick in that industry had been fueling sled sales for several years.[/b]

The US should have more sales than Canada?????? Doesn't Canada have more snow and more winter months then the US. Also bad snow fall in the midwest the last 10 years excluding a few years. I personally think Canada should have more sleds than the US. It all adds up. Gas, Towing, Insurance, Food, Motel. Then the trail permits that are insane and then registration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Matt6195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

QUOTE (matt6195 @ Jul 13 2010, 03:32 PM)
Quote:
The US should have more sales than Canada?????? Doesn't Canada have more snow and more winter months then the US. Also bad snow fall in the midwest the last 10 years excluding a few years. I personally think Canada should have more sleds than the US. It all adds up. Gas, Towing, Insurance, Food, Motel. Then the trail permits that are insane and then registration.[/b]

We have 30M people you have 330M people.

95% of Canadians live near the US border (within 200 miles) so we have the same weather, yes little snow or did you think we live in igloos.

You Americans really don't know much about Canada do you?

You have almost all of the millionaries and billionares in the world also and are a wealth country.
cobragt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Life Time Member

19-20 Mileage: 54321
18-19 Mileage: 12345
17-18 Mileage: 54321
16-17 Mileage: 12345

QUOTE (cobragt @ Jul 13 2010, 05:12 PM)
Quote:

95% of Canadians live near the US border (within 200 miles) so we have the same weather, yes little snow or did you think we live in igloos.

You have almost all of the millionaries and billionares in the world also and are a wealth country.[/b]
Not for much longer the way they are running this country into the ground.....
Jerry 976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Renegade 1200
Favorite Riding Area: Mons Pubus

maybe I am off,, but I always though part of the reason sleds and everything else are more expensive up there is huge taxes placed on large items to pay for health care and stuff.. am I completely wrong?
tekguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
jet
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 F1100 Turbo sno pro
Previous Sled(s): 2008 F1000 sno pro 2003 F7 sno pro
Favorite Riding Area: Behind the groomer!!
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1400
17-18 Mileage: 1700
16-17 Mileage: 800
Riding Since: 1980

snowmobiling enjoyed 30+ years of loose drinking laws.... and sales prospered!!!

when they stiffened the drinking laws and now the smoking laws too, sleds sales are going to suffer..

sled trails go from one bar to the next

snowmobiling is NOT a family sport and there is no money in trying to promote it that way... the bread and butter of snowmobile sales is from good ole boys.. well, good ole boys aren't going anymore because of the laws.

I think yamaha will be the first manufacturer to drop out of the sport,sales aren't going to improve, and the numbers don't support 4 manufacturers.. second will be polaris.

I predict cat and ski doo will own it this decade
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Freeride 137
Previous Sled(s): 08 FX Nytro RTX, SnoJets
Favorite Riding Area: Duck Mtns
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 20
17-18 Mileage: 560
16-17 Mileage: 322
Riding Since: 1982

QUOTE (tekguy @ Jul 13 2010, 06:04 PM)
Quote:
maybe I am off,, but I always though part of the reason sleds and everything else are more expensive up there is huge taxes placed on large items to pay for health care and stuff.. am I completely wrong?[/b]

The price difference on sleds excludes the taxes. All difference in price goes to the manufacturers.

I think the lack of snowmobile sales is due to a the following:

1. Innovation (or lack there of) - There hasn't been huge changes in the design the last couple of years
2. Reliability - we are starting to see people ride their sleds longer (4-strokes anyone)
3. Price - Definately prohibative
4. Economical issue #1 - jobs/manufacturing/etc
5. Economical issue #2 - Real Estate bubble burst, no more refinancing to pull $$$$ out of the house

I think the reliability is one of the biggest underlying reasons, especially when coupled with the higher cost to purchase.
ALuCsRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

QUOTE (jet @ Jul 13 2010, 06:46 PM)
Quote:
snowmobiling enjoyed 30+ years of loose drinking laws.... and sales prospered!!!

when they stiffened the drinking laws and now the smoking laws too, sleds sales are going to suffer..

sled trails go from one bar to the next

snowmobiling is NOT a family sport and there is no money in trying to promote it that way... the bread and butter of snowmobile sales is from good ole boys.. well, good ole boys aren't going anymore because of the laws.

I think yamaha will be the first manufacturer to drop out of the sport,sales aren't going to improve, and the numbers don't support 4 manufacturers.. second will be polaris.

I predict cat and ski doo will own it this decade[/b]
Agree. A guy I run into at work hasn't baught new a while and isn't looking because its to expensive to bring himself, his son, and wife (apparently she stopped coming). Gas, lodging, vacation time, passes, insurance. Its to much to do it. I think hes planning on quiting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
avroaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 15 ZR600RR TH Edition/10SP500
Previous Sled(s): 2012 POS F8 LXR\14 SWBACK 800 Pro-r
Favorite Riding Area: U.P.
Riding Since: 1995

QUOTE (cobragt @ Jul 13 2010, 04:12 PM)
Quote:

You have almost all of the millionaries and billionares in the world also and are a wealth country.[/b]
How many millionaries and billionares do you know that snowmobile? I don't know to many. The middle class was the ones buying the sleds and the upper middle class.

Not saying you live in igloo's. I am saying the when snow is gone here in late feb and early march you guys can still trailer to place's that have it.

Matt6195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement