Well Is Cat really done now? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Like Tree302Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: Iron Horse, Manitowash
Default Well Is Cat really done now?

After the Snow Show (and Cat & Yamaha No-Show) I was driving home talking to my kid about trading in his ZR800. The old Apex was getting old so I was kinda looking myself. When they and Yamaha weren't there he piped up a comment I thought was interesting. "maybe we should go look at a Ski-Doo or Polaris Dealer" . I think there's actually one up in Oshkosh that has both. But anyway I was thinking after he said that, I wonder how many new sled buyers thought of that very same thing. Multiplied by all the other Snow Shows that Arctic Cat did not have a factory display at. Amongst all there other corporate (Textron) decisions, what would motivate them to do this?

My only thought was, they (Textron) know they aren't going to be in the sled business for long so why bother. Like a Duplex I once sold, I just bought the cheapest paint and wallpaper i could find because I knew i was going to dump it anyway. And now all the spring order and dealers getting clipped ordeals. Making 65 horse one lunger sleds, cutting out the four strokes (less stickers to buy) less and less models (less models less inventory to buy for production)

And finally as Corner to Corner said in another thread, a general lack of excitement, no competing sleds with the other 850's (Cat could have built a 900)
dskofich likes this.
Szledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2020, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Green one's with Suzuki engines
Previous Sled(s): Green, Blue & Yellow
Favorite Riding Area: Wouldn't you like to know?
Riding Since: 70's

I don't feel they are done. They are in the ugly phase of restructuring the company, the way it's done business in the past and where it will go moving forward. Like it or not, the Blast is something new and I applaud their effort to bring it to the marketplace. I don't know if it's going to be a big seller though. Snowmageddon and their 2020/2021 pricing was a good way to clear out old inventory and the pricing was/is good. Last winter they were rebating like crazy to get rid of 2019 and older sleds and it seemed to work. The entire cutting off &/or losing dealers debacle is ugly and it gives a bad perception to the consumer. They are going to have to launch a 'new' chassis and get into the 850 game, like it or not as most that are riding newer Doo/Poo 850's in newer chassis aren't going to jump ship to an 800 in a ten year old chassis. Good to see them getting the Blasts and other 2021's out there for folks to demo. The relevancy of snow shows is where the OP and I disagree, and will likely to continue to disagree.
ArcticInsider - 6 Thoughts Surrounding Arctic Cat Not Showing Up edit: I would prefer to be able to go to a 'local' dealer to see new sleds than drive 3 hours to a snow show (aka trade show) to see new sleds.

Lastly, the race dept. and race sleds. What a cluster this year. Hopefully they are tooling up entirely new sleds for the 2020/21 race season and that will give a glimpse of something completely new for 2022.

If Textron continues to disappoint, I'm prepared to move onward for my next new snowmobile purchase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Crnr2Crnr; 02-02-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Crnr2Crnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Viper
Previous Sled(s): 52
Favorite Riding Area: C. Wi
Riding Since: 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szledhead View Post
After the Snow Show (and Cat & Yamaha No-Show) I was driving home talking to my kid about trading in his ZR800. The old Apex was getting old so I was kinda looking myself. When they and Yamaha weren't there he piped up a comment I thought was interesting. "maybe we should go look at a Ski-Doo or Polaris Dealer" . I think there's actually one up in Oshkosh that has both. But anyway I was thinking after he said that, I wonder how many new sled buyers thought of that very same thing. Multiplied by all the other Snow Shows that Arctic Cat did not have a factory display at. Amongst all there other corporate (Textron) decisions, what would motivate them to do this?

My only thought was, they (Textron) know they aren't going to be in the sled business for long so why bother. Like a Duplex I once sold, I just bought the cheapest paint and wallpaper i could find because I knew i was going to dump it anyway. And now all the spring order and dealers getting clipped ordeals. Making 65 horse one lunger sleds, cutting out the four strokes (less stickers to buy) less and less models (less models less inventory to buy for production)

And finally as Corner to Corner said in another thread, a general lack of excitement, no competing sleds with the other 850's (Cat could have built a 900)
Leftover 2019 Ski-Doo MXZ 600 Sports can be had for under $7000.00 new...Atleast 7-8 available in Wi,Mi,Mn,...Father/Son roadtrips for new sleds are FUN...NO excuses...Time to buy is NOW...
snowmachine and SShooterZ like this.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
jet
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 F1100 Turbo sno pro
Previous Sled(s): 2008 F1000 sno pro 2003 F7 sno pro
Favorite Riding Area: Behind the groomer!!
19-20 Mileage: 500
18-19 Mileage: 1400
17-18 Mileage: 1700
16-17 Mileage: 800
Riding Since: 1980

I visited Polaris and ski doo dealer. I asked both to remove plastics so I could look at them.

2020 Indy xcr 800, price was right and he had the plastics off fast, easy sled to service! Levi lavalle told me the 800 is plenty fast.

2020 ski doo 850 , price was crazy and he could only remove side panels and said hood was more involved, don’t think I’d like working on it!

2020 cats which I have rode have made Crazy good improvements in ride and handling and seem like the best compromise to me. Price is right and the 600,800 or turbo are both excellent. Textron management simply restructured the sled side of things to satisfy dealers and shareholders I think.
mopars&cats, p51mstg and tomang07 like this.
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
jet
Super Advanced Member

Oh and a friend of mine worked at the St. Cloud engine plant and told me textron is really fussy about what goes out the door. They take a lot of pride in the engines.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): r and a hacked togeather Snopro
Previous Sled(s): Xf700, F7sp, F5, ZLs,Zrs, Ext, Jags, el tigre
Favorite Riding Area: Back home In the Yoop
Riding Since: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
Oh and a friend of mine worked at the St. Cloud engine plant and told me textron is really fussy about what goes out the door. They take a lot of pride in the engines.
My 2019 lasted 200 miles before needing a top end. It now over heats and throws random starter codes. I don’t think they are that picky about what goes out the door.
dskofich likes this.
Greg B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
jet
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B. View Post
My 2019 lasted 200 miles before needing a top end. It now over heats and throws random starter codes. I donít think they are that picky about what goes out the door.
Major bummer!! I went thru that with my 03 f7. 300 miles and it destroyed the top end and then it did it 2 more times so 3 rebuilds in 6500 miles and I sold it!!
Old 02-02-2020, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Green one's with Suzuki engines
Previous Sled(s): Green, Blue & Yellow
Favorite Riding Area: Wouldn't you like to know?
Riding Since: 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B. View Post
My 2019 lasted 200 miles before needing a top end. It now over heats and throws random starter codes. I donít think they are that picky about what goes out the door.
but it rides and handles very nice when it isn't burning the top end up and it looks really good under the lights of a gas station while cooling from riding 50 yards of blacktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
Major bummer!! I went thru that with my 03 f7. 300 miles and it destroyed the top end and then it did it 2 more times so 3 rebuilds in 6500 miles and I sold it!!
oh no, you didn't just compare his sled to an 03 F7 did you? poor Greg!
cfm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crnr2Crnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Arctic Cat ZR6000 Roger Skime
Previous Sled(s): 2012 Arctic Cat F800 SnoPro 50th Retro
Favorite Riding Area: Hurley, WI
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: Dunno
16-17 Mileage: 2055
Riding Since: 1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szledhead View Post
After the Snow Show (and Cat & Yamaha No-Show) I was driving home talking to my kid about trading in his ZR800. Multiplied by all the other Snow Shows that Arctic Cat did not have a factory display at. Amongst all there other corporate (Textron) decisions, what would motivate them to do this?)
Jesus- what percentage of the sled market do Sled Shows actually impact? Who even goes to them any more?

Snow Shows used to be a big deal before people actually were able to go online and do their research. About the closest thing left to a real Snow Show is Hay Days. Every snow show now days is just a shadow of the past..... Their impact on market is minimal.

Cat is aggressively taking their new sleds on the road to dealers for test rides. I would think a test ride at a dealer would be much more impactful than just sitting on a sled at some show somewhere....

I don't think Cat is dead yet..... Inching closer, but not dead yet.

NW Wisc. Trail info:

ziemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2004 XC500SP, 2002 Polaris Classic 600
Previous Sled(s): 1990 Indy Trail, 1976 ColtSS, 1970 Charger 398
Favorite Riding Area: Bowstring, Bigfork, Marcell
Riding Since: 1973

No, they aren’t done. Not even close.
ziemann, thunder999 and Boom2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement