UTV market - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Discussion Forum A place for all off topic discussions. Forum Rules inside

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 sno pro 440
Previous Sled(s): 93 wildcat 700 carb (still kicking), 1990 cougar 500
17-18 Mileage: NO gauges
Default UTV market

Doing some research for some products at work.

I know some of you are in the biz and might have some better info than what I can find.

I am looking for some good numbers on the north american market share on UTVs
preferably by model.

I'm going to get numbers from a few dealers we supply also. Thinking if I can get a larger scope the better.

Any help is appreciated
cwhite138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 09 Sno Xer
Favorite Riding Area: South of the Hill

By brand won't be too difficult, but by type (utility vs crossover, vs sport etc) will be difficult, and vary widely by region
my thought on the 850 patriot. the whole fucking motor is junk. 18 miles on mine and the coating is stuck in the rings, it's in the crank, etc. pistons are complete garbage. Kelsey had one of these apart and told me the motor was junk, now Indy Dan says it is.
bone stock 2019 Arctic Cat 800 at BMP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
krom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): NA
Previous Sled(s): T cat's, zrt's ZR's, xf 7000, wildcat and a bunch of others
Favorite Riding Area: Pinedale WY
18-19 Mileage 450
17-18 Mileage: 1100
16-17 Mileage: 750
15-16 Mileage: 100
Riding Since: 1977

why would you want to know
utv's are sold all over and many times used in places where there were NOT bough
be almost impossible to figure out all the differences in types, models, uses, places used as to where stored or bought at!

I would guess real easy, places where its legal to ride them more places, there sales are higher
and well, since NOT a ton of states allow legal use of them or very little
finding a few top states might be easier than across the USA!
mrbb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): r and a hacked togeather Snopro
Previous Sled(s): Xf700, F7sp, F5, ZLs,Zrs, Ext, Jags, el tigre
Favorite Riding Area: Back home In the Yoop
Riding Since: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
why would you want to know
utv's are sold all over and many times used in places where there were NOT bough
be almost impossible to figure out all the differences in types, models, uses, places used as to where stored or bought at!

I would guess real easy, places where its legal to ride them more places, there sales are higher
and well, since NOT a ton of states allow legal use of them or very little
finding a few top states might be easier than across the USA!
Market share is measured yearly and is measured by what the oems send to the dealers. The data is easily track and well known what is going where. It is a very expensive, in depth market research and is not shared to outsiders. There are independent research groups the oems join and report to. I wonder if it is AEM that would handle sxs or if there is another group for power sports.
Greg B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): NA
Previous Sled(s): T cat's, zrt's ZR's, xf 7000, wildcat and a bunch of others
Favorite Riding Area: Pinedale WY
18-19 Mileage 450
17-18 Mileage: 1100
16-17 Mileage: 750
15-16 Mileage: 100
Riding Since: 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B. View Post
Market share is measured yearly and is measured by what the oems send to the dealers. The data is easily track and well known what is going where. It is a very expensive, in depth market research and is not shared to outsiders. There are independent research groups the oems join and report to. I wonder if it is AEM that would handle sxs or if there is another group for power sports.
get this, BUT again, many folks BUY toys in other states and places and then again, them in other places, than where they were bought at, so looking at JUST a dealers inventory and what they sold, in "X" state or providence, doesn't tell the whole story! IMO
MY atv came from 9 hours away, several states away and I never once used it in the state it was bought it
and know many others that have traveled to buy things, and or Buy in other states to get better prices or deals and then use else where!
all the more so in today's modern age of everyone being online and so much online shopping happening!
Heck my truck came from over a 1,000 miles away NEW and Its never seen 1 miles in the sate it was sold from? LOL
mrbb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): r and a hacked togeather Snopro
Previous Sled(s): Xf700, F7sp, F5, ZLs,Zrs, Ext, Jags, el tigre
Favorite Riding Area: Back home In the Yoop
Riding Since: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B. View Post
get this, BUT again, many folks BUY toys in other states and places and then again, them in other places, than where they were bought at, so looking at JUST a dealers inventory and what they sold, in "X" state or providence, doesn't tell the whole story! IMO
MY atv came from 9 hours away, several states away and I never once used it in the state it was bought it
and know many others that have traveled to buy things, and or Buy in other states to get better prices or deals and then use else where!
all the more so in today's modern age of everyone being online and so much online shopping happening!
Heck my truck came from over a 1,000 miles away NEW and Its never seen 1 miles in the sate it was sold from? LOL
They know where they go because of warranty registrations and state lincens. They know every stat you can think of when it comes to market share and spend millions tracking it. For average joe blow it means nothing. I have probably 1/2 a dozen people at work that all their job is to study market share numbers. Unless you join one of the manufacturer groups you will never see the raw data. I was shock by how much my little company tracks. Those numbers are very important and often dictate what comes to market and what doesn’t. Money will you buy you that info
Greg B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

so I guess Ill shed some light why want this.
We make mobility equipment. Part of that is kits so people that can not use their legs can drive.
We already make hand controls for a lot of models but they are getting outdated.
I need to develop kits for the main models out there. Now I can completely guess what they are but I would like a little more data. I want them to drop most the kits and only focus on the main players. anyone else that needs something can work with me or dealer directly to get their equipment installed (custom job)
@Greg B
spot on, I can find reports but its EXPENSIVE!

i don't care about used sales or care about the state to which its sold in. OEM dealer transactions in US is what I'm actually interested in. I hate just shooting from the hip.

IT was along shot. Seems every one is throwing numbers around on sleds on this site :P

Last edited by cwhite138; 08-23-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krom View Post
By brand won't be too difficult, but by type (utility vs crossover, vs sport etc) will be difficult, and vary widely by region
sema had a pretty cool regional out look on type its pretty neat... but like most of this data its out dated.

https://www.sema.org/sema-news/2014/...by-the-numbers
Old 08-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Itís a few years old but may be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jjv07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement