New Barn - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Discussion Forum A place for all off topic discussions. Forum Rules inside

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2019, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 Rush 800 Pro S
Previous Sled(s): 2002 Polaris Edge X, 97 Polaris Ultra, 96 Polaris 650
Favorite Riding Area: MI UP
15-16 Mileage: 1006
Riding Since: 1989
Default New Barn

So my wife and I started the process today of designing our new house with an architect. The goal is to build starting in April and we have about a 10 acre piece of land. So the deal is she gets to design the house (mostly) and I get a new toy barn.

So anyone have any photos or suggestions of must haves in the shop? Right now I am estimating its going to be about 45 x 70. On top of the snowmobiles we have a 23' boat that gets stored in there all year long, a couple 4-wheelers, lawn mower, dirt bikes, and a car. Right now the barn I have is 40 x 60 and its just a touch too small. Things I know I want are:
- Bathroom
- Floor drains
- Hot and cold water at sink
- Hot and cold water at a hose bib for washing trailers, sleds, etc.
- Bar? if I do this it may need to be larger?
- Need some solutions for storage of gear, sleds etc.

Anything else and of course photos help
94ZR580 and p51mstg like this.
saylor1322 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 MXZx 1200
Previous Sled(s): Tnt's, Blizzard's, R/V's and Sno Pro's
Favorite Riding Area: Johannesburg, Lewiston
18-19 Mileage not enough
17-18 Mileage: better than last year
16-17 Mileage: sucked
15-16 Mileage: better
Riding Since: 1967

If you haven't already check out garagejournal.com They have a gallery section that you can see lots if tiher peoples garages. I go there 2 or 3 times a day to check out the hot deals forum. If it pertains to a garage you can find it there.
p51mstg and LIMESQUEEZE like this.
tnts4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnts4me View Post
If you haven't already check out garagejournal.com They have a gallery section that you can see lots if tiher peoples garages. I go there 2 or 3 times a day to check out the hot deals forum. If it pertains to a garage you can find it there.
Never had heard of it before, thank you
Old 08-08-2019, 12:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): The Frankenstein
Favorite Riding Area: Anywhere there is snow.
Riding Since: 1992

In my opinion two must haves in a dream toy barn is in-floor radiant Heating and A/C.
A wall-mount Mitsubishi style self contained AC with a remote mount condensing unit elsewhere outside works fantastic in those kind of applications. No need for forced air ductwork and in-floor heat works SO much better than forced air in a garage / pole barn.

Motorized stacking shelves for the toys allows you to store off season toys above and in season toys below.

If you are considering a bathroom, and I definitely would, consider a small compact shower so you can wash off the garage grime before you go back into the house when necessary.

Another thing to consider is a high mount exhaust fan so you can pull two stroke smoke out of the garage after firing up in the winter time and pulling heat out in the summertime.
polaris bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 07 DRAGON 700
Previous Sled(s): 99 XC700SP 96 XCR600SP
Favorite Riding Area: N.W Mich/U.P./Local Ohio,Pa
18-19 Mileage 600
17-18 Mileage: 450
16-17 Mileage: 1,200
15-16 Mileage: 1,000
Riding Since: 1986

This is mainly for safety,GOOD ELECTRICAL proper grounds and good installation,do not overlook a low level(floor level) exhaust fan for carbon monoxide removal those fumes lay low and build up fast.

"Remember no matter where you go there you are"
SLOXC700SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 INDY XC 8FIDITY!!
Previous Sled(s): 2016 Pro S 800, 2015 Pro S 800, 2012 Pro R 800, 2010 Rush,
18-19 Mileage 1700
17-18 Mileage: 1350
16-17 Mileage: 1850
15-16 Mileage: 1900
Riding Since: 1985

x100 on the mini-split AC unit!!! Runs so cheap you can't afford not to be comfortable! Garage journal is great but I sure waste a lot of time over there.... I put three floor drains in my garage. I also put OH door on back side (7x7) for lawnmower, tractor, snowmobile ect... Wire that thing for 220 in places you don't think you need it. Down the road you will be happy!
poopooforme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 20 Renegade 600R
Previous Sled(s): 16 renegade 600 Etec, 12 renegade 600 Etec, 07 renegade 600
Favorite Riding Area: ontario
18-19 Mileage 1510
17-18 Mileage: 2740
16-17 Mileage: 2520
15-16 Mileage: 1590
Riding Since: 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by saylor1322 View Post
So my wife and I started the process today of designing our new house with an architect. The goal is to build starting in April and we have about a 10 acre piece of land. So the deal is she gets to design the house (mostly) and I get a new toy barn.

So anyone have any photos or suggestions of must haves in the shop? Right now I am estimating its going to be about 45 x 70. On top of the snowmobiles we have a 23' boat that gets stored in there all year long, a couple 4-wheelers, lawn mower, dirt bikes, and a car. Right now the barn I have is 40 x 60 and its just a touch too small. Things I know I want are:
- Bathroom
- Floor drains
- Hot and cold water at sink
- Hot and cold water at a hose bib for washing trailers, sleds, etc.
- Bar? if I do this it may need to be larger?
- Need some solutions for storage of gear, sleds etc.

Anything else and of course photos help
to me a MUST have is in floor radiant heat. If you're the slightest bit ambitious you can do 95% of it yourself. If money is tight and you cant do the whole thing now at least put the tubing in the concrete and hook up the boiler later. I get all my radiant supplies from Blue Ridge company, they will design the layout for you and their prices on tubing and manifolds are by far the cheapest I've found. I've also found with radiant heat you dont need floor drains. Pitch your floors 1" in 10' toward the doors to get rid of the heavy water and the heat will take care of the rest. It wont freeze outside the door either. other than that hose and cord reels are real nice to keep things neat, make sure you run a heavy enough electric service to run a welder (if you have one), and make sure the wall outlets are a heavy enough circuit. last shop I built I told the electrician to run 20 amp circuits to all the wall outlets to power my 110v mig welder, I dont know if he did it or not or if 20 amp isnt enough, but if I'm welding continuously I will trip the breaker. One mistake I made was running my air lines from my compressor up into the ceiling, then to each air hose reel hanging from the ceiling. There's too much temperature difference and the condensation in the air lines in the winter is brutal. LED lighting is awesome too.
billp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2020 ZR 8000 LTD IACT - 14 XF7000 Ltd
Previous Sled(s): 10 F8 SP,05 F6,02 ZL 600SS, 99 ZL 600, 96 Pantera
Favorite Riding Area: Central MN
18-19 Mileage 1170
17-18 Mileage: 1260
16-17 Mileage: 960
15-16 Mileage: 849
Riding Since: 1972

If you go with in floor heat why not heat your apron out front no shoveling.
Fun11cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 RR 800 137"
Previous Sled(s): F8 EXT, Lots of Crossfires and ProCross
Favorite Riding Area: U.P.
18-19 Mileage What?
17-18 Mileage: 3500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun11cat View Post
If you go with in floor heat why not heat your apron out front no shoveling.
I have a heated driveway.

It is nice. I wouldn't do that project on the cheap though. Investing in good controls and correct sized boiler are key. I never let mine idle. It would cost a fortune to run. I do use a slab sensor tied with temp monitoring. It turns on when wet and cold.(snowing)

Honestly, if you have decent flat grade and some sun exposure, I'd save the money and just plain plow the snow. Ice is still going to be a challenge though, especially if the slab has high slope. We do seem to have more icing events lately. Snowmelt system did fix that problem.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thanks everyone. Some of the things I had thought of was in floor heating and the floor drains. Didnt think about the air conditioning much because it seems that in the barn Im in now during the summer I more than often have both doors open so air would be useless, kids running in and out with 4-wheelers and dirt bikes constantly so air would probably be something that happens later if ever. I was thinking about a large industrial ceiling fan though to help move air.

Also I own a construction company and another separate Plumbing / HVAC company so I am certainly going to be hitting up vendors for low cost materials. so here is what I have so far:

- Radiant floor heating
- Bathroom, still undecided on a shower though
- Wash sink in addition to the sink in the bathroom
- Hose bib for washing trailers, sleds, etc.
- Floor drains
- Exhaust fans (hadnt thought of this but its certainly a must now that its been mentioned)
- 14' overhead door at front and back to pull through
- Motorized racks would be amazing but Ive never found any that are remotely affordable, anyone have any suggestions / links would be appreciated. But I also do have a forklift at our shop right next door so I can get toys and equipment up on stationary racks fairly easily

Something else that I am looking for direction on is interior wall finish. I currently have drywall in my barn and dont really like it. I was thinking of spray insulation on the walls with a T111 siding as a possibility. For the ceiling I was going to also spray insulate the roof but leave it open with no ceiling. One thing that I have noticed in the two barns Ive had with ceilings is no matter what you try it becomes a place for birds or mice to get in and live. What are your thoughts on that?

Also Favoritos how did you do the driveway heating and if you dont mind me asking what did that run you? How big is your driveway? I priced it for my dads last spring and it seemed outrageous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement