Radon roof vent - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Discussion Forum A place for all off topic discussions. Forum Rules inside

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jerry 976
  • 2 Post By Jerry 976

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2019, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2000 800 xcr, 2001 edge x, 2003 pro xr 700
Previous Sled(s): 92 xcr
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1600
17-18 Mileage: 1700
16-17 Mileage: 360
Riding Since: 91
Default Radon roof vent

I stalling my radon system now and working my way out the garage through the garage attic and up the roof. I'm not keen on cutting a hole in my roof and then climbing way up there so I may contract it out.

I have been looking around at Menards and other places and the roof vents don't give much confidence that they won't break down over time I found these guys but I'm curious if anyone here has done this to their home https://www.lifetimetool.com/

There is a solid wall between my garage attic and my house attic and a few vents on the front of the garage attic. Can I just plumb the radon pipe up there?
stgdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not much
Riding Since: 70 s

Now that you bring up the subject, we over a friends home in a nearby town. They had installed all kinds of tanks and pumps in their basement to deal with the radon gas that had been tested positive for. They bought the house some years ago after the husband contracted lung cancer and passed away. After hearing about this, its some scary chit. I think their vent is out one of the nearby basement windows.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Life Time Member

19-20 Mileage: 54321
18-19 Mileage: 12345
17-18 Mileage: 54321
16-17 Mileage: 12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
I stalling my radon system now and working my way out the garage through the garage attic and up the roof. I'm not keen on cutting a hole in my roof and then climbing way up there so I may contract it out.

I have been looking around at Menards and other places and the roof vents don't give much confidence that they won't break down over time I found these guys but I'm curious if anyone here has done this to their home https://www.lifetimetool.com/

There is a solid wall between my garage attic and my house attic and a few vents on the front of the garage attic. Can I just plumb the radon pipe up there?

No, the radon vent pipe should terminate to the outside of the house.
Google " Radon Vent Pipe Clearances" Or how to properly terminate a radon piping system, there are ways to run the pipe on the outside of a house and how to run them thru the roof. The link below is just one quick search.

Radon Vent Pipe Clearances Explained - A Best Home Inspection - Home Improvement Services
too slow likes this.
Jerry 976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1000

Be aware that Minnesota is an EPA regulated state when it comes to radon. There are regulations on where the fan is to be located also. Go to epa.gov/radon to see the requirements. Your system will need to be installed to the EPA requirements to not be flagged on a future home inspection or radon monitoring when the house is sold. I do home inspections, and I have not seen any issues using a standard plumbing vent flashing through a roof with the radon mitigation system vent piping. In Wisconsin, we are not radon regulated, so our systems can be installed pretty much any way we want them, as long at the piping goes to the exterior of the house.
hinspector63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Life Time Member

19-20 Mileage: 54321
18-19 Mileage: 12345
17-18 Mileage: 54321
16-17 Mileage: 12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinspector63 View Post
Be aware that Minnesota is an EPA regulated state when it comes to radon. There are regulations on where the fan is to be located also. Go to epa.gov/radon to see the requirements. Your system will need to be installed to the EPA requirements to not be flagged on a future home inspection or radon monitoring when the house is sold. I do home inspections, and I have not seen any issues using a standard plumbing vent flashing through a roof with the radon mitigation system vent piping. In Wisconsin, we are not radon regulated, so our systems can be installed pretty much any way we want them, as long at the piping goes to the exterior of the house.

The rubber boot that seals around the pipe dry rots and cracks in about 8 to 10 years, they don't make them like they use to. You can buy a repair boot that just slides down the pipe and sits over top of the existing boot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	roof flashing.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	2054794
favoritos and Badger like this.
Jerry 976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement