Have you ever felt you were being punished.... - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Discussion Forum A place for all off topic discussions. Forum Rules inside

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 MXZ-X 800 E-Tec, 2010 MXZ 800 P-Tec
Previous Sled(s): 15 so far
Favorite Riding Area: Maine
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1800
17-18 Mileage: 1596
Riding Since: 1965

For your past sins?

My FIL (father in law) basically tricked my husband into letting him and his wife (real MIL passed away years ago, I adored her) stay with us.

We were under the impression they were only staying for a long weekend for a family reunion.

So dad calls us, back and forth, keeps asking my hubby if it's ok if they stay.. AND THEN WE FIND OUT IT'S FOR THREE WEEKS!

Holy shit, crap, ahhh we are both totally buggin!!!

And no, we can't un-invite them. That would start an Armageddon of epic proportions LOL.

Anyone on here get "roped" into hosting family for an extended period of time?

Now let me say my father in law isn't the warmest nicest man, but at least he isn't a whiney Biotch like his wife. I do love this man, as he obviously is my husband's dad. And I love my husband.

But his wife is a "Debbie downer". Think Eyore!

Complains about my furniture, house, water, Christ everything.

Yes, I do have the room for them. But just the thought of having them here so long is making me ill.

I'm putting cable and a tv in their room, giving them the big bath, etc.

It's just I work from home, at least my husband gets to leave every morning. And I'm going to be stuck with these people.

Yes, I will probably be drinking heavily lol.

Any sage advice, pearls of wisdom, and epithets you have of enduring your own "in law home invasion" please share.
skidont and cfm like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 00 XCR 800, 04 XC 800
Favorite Riding Area: Katahdin region
Riding Since: 1988

I can relate. Years back I had a four month stretch with the wife's sister living with us. That got real old real fast.
fourh-ds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): NA
Previous Sled(s): T cat's, zrt's ZR's, xf 7000, wildcat and a bunch of others
Favorite Riding Area: Pinedale WY
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 450
17-18 Mileage: 1100
16-17 Mileage: 750
Riding Since: 1977

maybe time to take a vacation and leave them behind to watch your house while your gone! LOL

I had a buddy that ran into some problems, needed some help, his mom called me asking if I could take him in for a while, , and he then asked if he could stay at my hunting camp for a week or so, I said, Sure, just replace anything you use, and you HAVE to be gone by hunting season, which was 3 months away,
I got him a job too, making decent money! told him job was for 2 months ONLY, so by then he should have been able to save up enough$$ to move out or on?? as I didn;t charge him a penny, and paid all bills, so was FREE lodging for him!
in the end I had to kick him out, he ate everything that could be eaten, didn;t replace a thing he used(paper towels, trash bags, and so on)
His mom got him a better job, making VERY good money and , since then, he told me a few times he would send me some $$ for the help I gave him!, as he felt bad about how he left things.
been yrs, haven;t seen a penny! LOL
some time being nice, isn;t all its cracked up to be! and can backfire on you!
SO I can some what relate here !
mrbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2020 ZR 8000 LTD IACT - 14 XF7000 Ltd Org/Blk
Previous Sled(s): 10 F8 SP,05 F6,02 ZL 600SS, 99 ZL 600, 96 Pantera
Favorite Riding Area: Central MN
19-20 Mileage: 125
18-19 Mileage: 1170
17-18 Mileage: 1260
16-17 Mileage: 960
Riding Since: 1972

The first mistake your making is making it to comfortable for them (TV in Room) nice bath. If you make it uncomfortable for them maybe they will leave sooner then later.

Or like mentioned above go on vacation.
dodger, skidont, mrbb and 3 others like this.
Fun11cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): The Frankenstein
Favorite Riding Area: Anywhere there is snow.
Riding Since: 1992

Bear in mind this is coming from a totally non-pc person who has very little filter.

Grow up and be a adult about it and stop being a pushover. Stand up to them and put your foot down.

With that being said I would let it be known to both of them upon their arrive or better yet, before hand, that while they are always welcome to visit that there are rules to "your" home, and that they as guests, will be expected to abide by them.

Remind them / her that you are a work from home person and that they will be expected to stay out of your way during working hours.

And mostly remind her that if the food, temperature, water flavor, etc etc is not up to her likings or standards that there is a very nice hotel just down the road where she can boss around the employees like she was a queen.

Be an adult about it, put your own twist on it, but let them know that you're not going to put up with their BS.
dodger, fastsleddr, jdw1 and 7 others like this.
polaris bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not much
Riding Since: 70 s

Had relatives from england stay with us for a week, not realizing they were chain smokers. Both of us don't smoke. Frigging house and everything in it stunk like a lit cigarette. After awhile i was counting the days off till it was time for them to depart.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Life Time Member

19-20 Mileage: 54321
18-19 Mileage: 12345
17-18 Mileage: 54321
16-17 Mileage: 12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Rider View Post
For your past sins?

My FIL (father in law) basically tricked my husband into letting him and his wife (real MIL passed away years ago, I adored her) stay with us.

We were under the impression they were only staying for a long weekend for a family reunion.

So dad calls us, back and forth, keeps asking my hubby if it's ok if they stay.. AND THEN WE FIND OUT IT'S FOR THREE WEEKS!

Holy shit, crap, ahhh we are both totally buggin!!!

And no, we can't un-invite them. That would start an Armageddon of epic proportions LOL.

Anyone on here get "roped" into hosting family for an extended period of time?

Now let me say my father in law isn't the warmest nicest man, but at least he isn't a whiney Biotch like his wife. I do love this man, as he obviously is my husband's dad. And I love my husband.

But his wife is a "Debbie downer". Think Eyore!

Complains about my furniture, house, water, Christ everything.

Yes, I do have the room for them. But just the thought of having them here so long is making me ill.

I'm putting cable and a tv in their room, giving them the big bath, etc.

It's just I work from home, at least my husband gets to leave every morning. And I'm going to be stuck with these people.

Yes, I will probably be drinking heavily lol.

Any sage advice, pearls of wisdom, and epithets you have of enduring your own "in law home invasion" please share.
1st bold why do they need to stay for 3 weeks????

2nd bold Just me, but I would drop a comment about it being my home and you asked to stay here, if you don't like my home or my things there's always a hotel/motel in town....... You asked to stay here not me.......

Pretty disrespectful to make comments about my home and my property that we worked hard to make it a place we are proud to call our home......

It's a catch 22, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't........
ICE_Lapplander likes this.
Jerry 976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: salisbury, speculator, cny

Quote:
Originally Posted by too slow View Post
Had relatives from england stay with us for a week, not realizing they were chain smokers. Both of us don't smoke. Frigging house and everything in it stunk like a lit cigarette. After awhile i was counting the days off till it was time for them to depart.
the smoking is 100% a no-go. no one smokes cigs in my house. end of story
sleepybrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Any interesting stories you can tell us about some of your past sins ? LOL
sael, skidont and flatlanderbill like this.
Frozenstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Assault
Favorite Riding Area: Closest place with snow

At this point they are welcome, make them feel that way but let them know your expectations and rules. ie, if she acts like a bitch you won't accept it.
Deephaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement