Driveway alternatives - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Discussion Forum A place for all off topic discussions. Forum Rules inside

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 Renegade 1200
Previous Sled(s): All Doo's
Favorite Riding Area: THE GREAT NORTH WOODS
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1579
17-18 Mileage: 1379
16-17 Mileage: 1741
Riding Since: 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSquirrel View Post
...stone dust...
packs like concrete, drains, LOW maintenance, easy fixes and doesn't plow up like bigger stone...
...my $.02...
X2 on the stone dust, if the ground is pretty dry, it's cheap and easy to repair ..
BlackSquirrel likes this.
Nor'easter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '16 prox sb
Previous Sled(s): '12 rush '09 D8, 06 600 sb, 07 D7, 03 Pro X 7, and many more
Riding Since: 1988

Good fine millings are pretty awesome too, but not always easy to find, compact it on a hot day and it's like black top, also easier and cheaper to maintain/fix.
letsirkdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 ZR6000 137
Previous Sled(s): 12 XF1100, 03 Firecat F5
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1900
17-18 Mileage: 1650
16-17 Mileage: 1300

We are planning to do a colored (medium gray) concrete driveway with broom finish and exposed aggregate sidewalks with the same medium gray base. I love the look of exposed aggregate, but it is way too expensive to do the whole driveway.

BTW, nice mancave! If Mother Nature gives us a break with the rain, I should be starting on the foundation of mine in a week or two.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): NA
Previous Sled(s): T cat's, zrt's ZR's, xf 7000, wildcat and a bunch of others
Favorite Riding Area: Pinedale WY
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 450
17-18 Mileage: 1100
16-17 Mileage: 750
Riding Since: 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'easter View Post
X2 on the stone dust, if the ground is pretty dry, it's cheap and easy to repair ..
I will say this about stone dust,
yes it can pack tight, is cheaper, and easy to refill in as needed
BUT if you get rain often, it becomes a mess, you will be tracking it in on your shoes all the time, in house, garage, vehicles and so on!
rain will erode it if any slope in on drive way, or anything drops often in one spot!

I had it, then went to unwashed crushed stone, a mix of dust and smaller rock, and again it too packs tight, but same issues
top dressed that with 2 b gravel, to get rid of the dust being carried all over and better erosion, but then come plow time, you have a LOT of clean up in spring time and replacing new gravel you plowed away!

road millings work better than , both dust, unwashed /and gravel, IMO< it packs tighter, heck on HOT summer days it about turns to paved like hardness!
doesn't erode or get plowed off as easy either!

BUT depends on the size of the millings, smaller work better than larger chunks.

concrete and paving, IMO are the best options, if done RIGHT!
and by right, you have to dig down deep enough to get below frost lines, and fill in with large, then smaller gravel, a good 6+ inches min, before paving/concrete, and either you need to put it down thick enough, thin concrete or pavement will fail fast, but done right, will last a LONG long time!

they have cement /concrete blends hard enough now that you can drive 100,000 lbs dozers with steel tracks across and not damage it!
its NOT cheap, but it is there if one wanted it , carbides will be yard pressed to wear thru in a average humans life time LOL
as they some times says, buy once, cry once! HAha~
mrbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 02 Edge 600 xcsp
Previous Sled(s): 97 600XC...The Pig
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: uuugghhh.
17-18 Mileage: ...thinking about it...
16-17 Mileage: ....

... never had any of these problems with the stone dust driveways we've had installed for people , maybe our mixes were leaner on the dust or better drainage?
BlackSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not much
Riding Since: 70 s

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsirkdor View Post
Good fine millings are pretty awesome too, but not always easy to find, compact it on a hot day and it's like black top, also easier and cheaper to maintain/fix.
Its what i had my driveway done with 2 years ago. So far its been just ok...starting to loosen after this winter a bit and get some weeds growing through in spots. At least its good for the mud season.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '16 prox sb
Previous Sled(s): '12 rush '09 D8, 06 600 sb, 07 D7, 03 Pro X 7, and many more
Riding Since: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by too slow View Post
Its what i had my driveway done with 2 years ago. So far its been just ok...starting to loosen after this winter a bit and get some weeds growing through in spots. At least its good for the mud season.
Yeah, it's a good top course, should really have some fabric first, some gravel or crusher run , then the millings. Weeds and organics are a killer.
letsirkdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:52 AM   #28 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): NA
Previous Sled(s): T cat's, zrt's ZR's, xf 7000, wildcat and a bunch of others
Favorite Riding Area: Pinedale WY
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 450
17-18 Mileage: 1100
16-17 Mileage: 750
Riding Since: 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSquirrel View Post
... never had any of these problems with the stone dust driveways we've had installed for people , maybe our mixes were leaner on the dust or better drainage?
and some folk's win the lottery LOL

but the name says it right off to me and what I described, stone DUST< which is nothing but fine grains of stone, which again, here, when wet, sticks to bottom of shoes and gets carried away(also to tires)

I fully agree however, where its used, and slope of drive way and how often you get rain, will make a difference in how well it holds up or not, not bashing the stuff, just pointing out some of the flaws it can have and MY experience with it! and a few other things I have tried at some properties I have !
too slow and BlackSquirrel like this.
mrbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:31 AM   #29 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not much
Riding Since: 70 s

Quote:
Yeah, it's a good top course, should really have some fabric first, some gravel or crusher run , then the millings. Weeds and organics are a killer.
They dumped truck loads of crush stone/gravel at least 3'' thick before finishing it with the finer millings and compressing it. I thought it would be messy when it rained but really not bad at all. Most everyone in this area where i live has similar driveways always needing some repair so i guess this is pretty normal.
BlackSquirrel likes this.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:41 PM   #30 (permalink)
Public Relations Officer

Current Sled(s): 17 Cat SX
Previous Sled(s): Cat RR, Doo XRS
Favorite Riding Area: MN North Shore
Riding Since: 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by too slow View Post
Quote:
They dumped truck loads of crush stone/gravel at least 3'' thick before finishing it with the finer millings and compressing it. I thought it would be messy when it rained but really not bad at all. Most everyone in this area where i live has similar driveways always needing some repair so i guess this is pretty normal.
That’s the key is a proper base. I didn’t go down deep enough on mine and it heaves 6 inches in the winter and makes a helluva
mess in the spring. Now, gotta probably pull up I don’t know how many yards of packed class 5 and redo it. I would have been pissed if I went ahead and rolled out blacktop or even worse, concrete on it right away. Total waste.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zambroski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement