Trex - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Discussion Forum A place for all off topic discussions. Forum Rules inside

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 MXZ-X 800 E-Tec, 2010 MXZ 800 P-Tec
Previous Sled(s): 15 so far
Favorite Riding Area: Maine
18-19 Mileage 1800
17-18 Mileage: 1596
15-16 Mileage: 790
Riding Since: 1965
Default Trex

Ok. Next week we have to choose our gc and decide what our deck will be built out of.

So far the difference between all pressure treated and all Trex isn't much.

Does it get hot? What color did you get? What did you use for railing? Photos?

Please post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): O.M. 1000, 700 Heavy Mod, 700 IS XCR 1253, XC1214, P.S.700
Favorite Riding Area: N.W. Wisconsin
Riding Since: 1959

What is "gc"?
XCR1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

18-19 Mileage 1800

General Contractor or whatever...it was shorter to type than "company who is doing our siding/windows/doors and deck"
Old 04-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): 2018 XCR 800 SB
Previous Sled(s): too many to list
Favorite Riding Area: Manitoba
Riding Since: 73

how long you plan on staying in house and what maintenance are important. South or west is also important. The wood will take a beating more so requiring staining every few years. They Trex or the wood in lighter colours are about same heat build up. Trex has a Naturals line that is a good entry level comp decking. If your deck is south or west facing also look at Moisture shield Vision line (cool deck) it is 30 % cooler. Use aluminum Railing (Regal makes a very good one) If you like the look of wood staining a treated deck is a good option if you realize the work. If its north or east side with lots of shade you will have far less work as the Sun UV combined rain getting into the checking (cracks) on wood is not as wearing. Go to Trex and Moisture shield websites. You can also go to decks.com (keep in mind Trex bought that website last year so it may show a bias or may not) The Barefoot Treated decking (West Frasure) is very nice as they have their own fiber (trees) so its typically better quality as well they have a good treating process. Good luck
ASS-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Public Relations Officer

Current Sled(s): 17 Cat SX
Previous Sled(s): Cat RR, Doo XRS
Favorite Riding Area: MN North Shore
Riding Since: 1974

For the first time last summer, I saw a deck done in light tan. It was the first one I liked. I like natural woon and if it's done properly, it will last. All the other decks I've seen with a trex type product looked like cheap and plastic kids play sets. They just don't have the "warmth" of real wood. But, if you like vinyl siding....Trex would work fine.

BTW..gonna finish my front porch this summer. Gonna be all wood....prestained before installation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zambroski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Turbo, T-kitty
Previous Sled(s): Tcats, ZRs
Favorite Riding Area: WI, MI
Riding Since: 1979

We had the composite decking on our last house, wood on the current one. I will never go with wood again... just not worth the wear, maintenance, etc. I guess there's different grades of composite??? Ours never gave a "cheap plastic" feeling or appearance. We went with a light gray color... didn't show dirt much, and could always walk on it bare foot in the Indiana summers.

Great dealer in IL-quad cities area, see Brent or Stan @

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tallcool 1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

My TimberTech deck is 19 years old now and still looks like new. I would expect Trex to hold up just as well. Mine is light tan and have never noticed it getting any hotter than a wood deck does even though it is full on Southern exposure with no shade. Just stick with the lighter colors and you should be fine.

My previous home consisted of a massive deck that wrapped two full sides of the house and was constructed of natural redwood. What a giant massive pain in the ass to maintain. Did it look awesome? Absolutely, there is no substitute for the look of natural redwood or cedar decking and it was gorgeous for about all of three years each time it was pressure washed and re-stained but that was a three year program that made the decision to go with a composite decking on this house an easy one. The only maintenance is a quick pressure washing when it starts to look dirty then it looks like new again.
jdskycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016, ProS LE, 2015 ProS 600 Anniversary
Previous Sled(s): 2006 600 fusion, 2012 800 ProR LE
Favorite Riding Area: Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambroski View Post
For the first time last summer, I saw a deck done in light tan. It was the first one I liked. I like natural woon and if it's done properly, it will last. All the other decks I've seen with a trex type product looked like cheap and plastic kids play sets. They just don't have the "warmth" of real wood. But, if you like vinyl siding....Trex would work fine.

BTW..gonna finish my front porch this summer. Gonna be all wood....prestained before installation.
That was my concern when we added a deck, all the plastic ones I'd noticed looked like crap, just like anything you get what you pay for so go for the top the line, I don't think I'd ever go back to a wood deck.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

18-19 Mileage 1800

Thanks guys. I have samples of the Trex and the Timber Tech. It's a toss up between the two.

Deck faces west...sun until the late afternoon early evening. I just came from a home that was done by one of the company's a couple months ago. People are very pleased with the work.

Hard part is convincing H that "yes, it's a lot of money, and will just get pricier each year"

No new sleds for a couple years lol
Old 04-14-2019, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Public Relations Officer

Current Sled(s): 17 Cat SX
Previous Sled(s): Cat RR, Doo XRS
Favorite Riding Area: MN North Shore
Riding Since: 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by airflite1 View Post
That was my concern when we added a deck, all the plastic ones I'd noticed looked like crap, just like anything you get what you pay for so go for the top the line, I don't think I'd ever go back to a wood deck.
I think I'd consider doing the deck in trex..then the rest in wood.

I'll give it this about wood though...when coming up with a design, keep maintenance in mind! A well done, properly stained deck should last 6-8 years without having to redo. USE GOOD STAIN!

Zambroski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement