Trex - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Discussion Forum A place for all off topic discussions. Forum Rules inside

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 Switchback Assault
Previous Sled(s): 2012 800 ETEC Renegade
Favorite Riding Area: Snow and not alot of riders
18-19 Mileage 1122
15-16 Mileage: 100:(
Riding Since: 1992

I'm wondering how they have pressure treated and a Composite deck close in price? Composite should be a lot more. I redid a huge deck last year with Trex deck boards and Deckorators brand aluminum railing. The thing turned out awesome 27k just in decking and rails! A good composite deck board with the aluminum rail is the way to go iMO. Some of the composite or PVC rails do look cheap when you get close to them. Cedar would be another option , but good cedar is getting hard to come by nowadays.
jdskycaster likes this.
BAREIN97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #22 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 MXZ-X 800 E-Tec, 2010 MXZ 800 P-Tec
Previous Sled(s): 15 so far
Favorite Riding Area: Maine
18-19 Mileage 1800
17-18 Mileage: 1596
15-16 Mileage: 790
Riding Since: 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAREIN97 View Post
I'm wondering how they have pressure treated and a Composite deck close in price? Composite should be a lot more. I redid a huge deck last year with Trex deck boards and Deckorators brand aluminum railing. The thing turned out awesome 27k just in decking and rails! A good composite deck board with the aluminum rail is the way to go iMO. Some of the composite or PVC rails do look cheap when you get close to them. Cedar would be another option , but good cedar is getting hard to come by nowadays.
When I say close in price, I mean within a few thousand dollars.

Reading all the responces my head is spinning LOL

We are planning to basically die in this house (I shit you not)

All our stuff up to this point is payed for. Have a home equity line of credit to help along with savings already set aside.

I guess $15k isn't unreasonable for a 16'◊16' deck. We will most likely have the support structure built of pressure treated and the flooring Trex or the other stuff. And rails another product.

Our daughter is 41, she has 3 kids. Oldest is 15. Then an 8 yr old and a 4 yr old.
I've made the younger two PROMISE to move in when their older to help us (kidding).

Actually, I foresee at least one of those kids ending up here at some point. Probably the "baby". She is already a rebellious sort, just like her nana.

This is the year the 15 yr old boy learns how to run the tractor.

I have an interview tonight, last one. Company #5.

Probably deciding by weeks end.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #23 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Rider View Post
When I say close in price, I mean within a few thousand dollars.

Reading all the responces my head is spinning LOL

We are planning to basically die in this house (I shit you not)
So far you are doing a fantastic job of managing this. A project of this scope is no small affair.

If you plan on staying in the house forever go with the composite maintenance free decking. It will outlast pressure treated or natural wood by a long shot. No comparison.

Pressure treated decking even if you keep up with maintenance and sealing just does not last. Whatever they use for chemicals to treat it now is just not that good. My dad has had to replace his treated and stained deck boards already in the same 20 year time span of my TimberTech decking. He has been religious about keeping up with the stain and sealer but that stuff when laid flat just rots away anyway over time. Well worth the extra cost.

Yes, the treated support beams will also likely have to be replaced at some point in time but if they are not in direct contact with dirt or the concrete footings they should last more than 20 years.
jdskycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #24 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 18 Rush pro S, 15 SB 800 Pro S, APEX, NYTRO,
Previous Sled(s): Poo 650, 02 viper, vector, Rx-1
Favorite Riding Area: north of hy 8
18-19 Mileage 1400
17-18 Mileage: 1450
16-17 Mileage: 1250
15-16 Mileage: 4200
Riding Since: 6th

If it is me, with a few more buckaroos, I'd opt for the Azek decking, which is pure PVC....no wood particles mixed in.
I like the simplicity of the aluminum railing systems available as well. They are slimmer in design for better sight lines.
HD has the Peak aluminum railing system in stock here in the midwest. They also can order trex alum. rail, as well as a few others.
You can also get HD to meet and/or beat your best available price on Azek from their competition.
HD also has all of the other top notch decking brands like Trex, Timbertech and Fiberon to do a direct comparo in the store. Usually delivered to store in 3-5 days.
Just an fyi,,,,to get a more natural look to the man made decking products most brands offer a streaked or varigated color option as well, but of course at the top end of the price spectrum in each brand.
You can assume $10.00+/- a square foot for the decking.

if replacing the decking on an existing structure be sure the joists are a max. 16" OC or 12" OC if running the deck bds @ a 45* angle.

Last edited by Switchway; 04-16-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Switchway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

18-19 Mileage 1800

Next year the kitchen...and the pool omg
It will need a liner and new fence

I can never really "retire"
Old 04-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #26 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2008 IQr, (2) 2008 IQrr, 03 pro-x600
Previous Sled(s): still have 98xc7 220 motor
Favorite Riding Area: Mancelona cabin "Oleo Acres"

jjlrrw likes this.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #27 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Did my pool liner and new auto cover fabric last spring for $10K. It never ends with home ownership but I also would not trade it for rent with lots of neighbors....
Old 04-16-2019, 12:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 Switchback 800 (X2)
Previous Sled(s): 2008 Switchback 700
Favorite Riding Area: Northern MN
18-19 Mileage 4820
17-18 Mileage: 5280
16-17 Mileage: 3660
15-16 Mileage: 2980
Riding Since: 1966

Going to redo a deck myself this summer - it is an old cedar deck that was neglected.

SO my question is, do we have to replace the under structure that is all green treated? It is still very solid with no rotting. (~15 years old)

Can we just put a new 'face' on it?
Old 04-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag6240 View Post
Going to redo a deck myself this summer - it is an old cedar deck that was neglected.

SO my question is, do we have to replace the under structure that is all green treated? It is still very solid with no rotting. (~15 years old)

Can we just put a new 'face' on it?
You can I would just be certain all of the structural parts have zero condition issues otherwise now will be the best time to replace any of it that is not. The structural parts are the cheap part of any deck. It's the finish materials that really add up. As other's have stated in here if you have never priced the cost of Aluminum or Vinyl railing you might be in for a shock. It's why so many new decks just get built with pressure treated or cedar spindles and rails. A fraction of the cost but a major PIA to keep sealed and looking nice. Because of the amount of work its definitely why you see so many that are completely gone after 10-15 years.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

18-19 Mileage 1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayatodaU.P.eh? View Post
Yeah. Even I know that deck poles have to be set correctly. Ehh, I want to change the decks design now anyways after ripping up a bunch of hideous looking pavers he had leading up to said deck. I love running skid steers. F that picking all those pavers up by and putting the black dirt in their place by hand. Best ďfunĒ money I spent all last summer I think. Wife said I looked like a little boy playing in a sand box.

According to the drillers, the county records show that the next door neighbors just had theirs done in 2016 at 140í. Ours was set at 90í back in Ď64 but we are up the grade a bit from them. So, they quoted me at 150í which with everything all said and done is just a tick under $6k. Thankfully, I can pay cash for it so I donít mind doing upgrades while I have the extra cash.

Wife is scared shitless that we will loose power when Iím out of town for work and the pump will loose itís prime again. Two line well so I had to drag 200í+ of garden hose to the neighbors house to prime it up last time.

Roofing, siding and both decks are next. Then itís on to complete gut/rebuild of the kitchen and both bathrooms. If it wasnít for the 30x40x10 3 car attached and 32x46x14 pole barn, I would have never bought this damn old ass place. Damn wife wanting an old solid house and shit
Teach her how to prime it. I want to learn as much as possible when it comes to my home, truck and toys. I was raised like a boy anyway lol

I NEVER want to be stuck with a non-working whatever if I can help it. So I pay attention and ASK questions. If God forbid my H can't do something I want to pick up the slack. My grandmother was a plumber, had to go into the store after the war as no-one back then would hire her to do what she was trained for. (Re: Rosey the Riviter).

Good luck with your well. God what a pain this is maintaining a home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement