850 Engine problems - Page 44 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Discussion Forum A place for all off topic discussions. Forum Rules inside

Like Tree1984Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2018, 07:30 AM   #431 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 15 800 Pro S, 17 800 Assault
Previous Sled(s): 12 800 Pro R,09 Dragon, 00 + 03 XCR
Favorite Riding Area: Central Ontario
18-19 Mileage 725
17-18 Mileage: 775
16-17 Mileage: 465
15-16 Mileage: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by krom View Post
I'm pretty excited about what the next few months and years will be bringing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Are you really. Take a look at the weather the last few years and particularly this year. In most areas there has been or is very little snow. I'm worried for all 4 mfr's. I don't give a shite what they produce, no snow = poor sales.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2018, 07:32 AM   #432 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 15 800 Pro S, 17 800 Assault
Previous Sled(s): 12 800 Pro R,09 Dragon, 00 + 03 XCR
Favorite Riding Area: Central Ontario
18-19 Mileage 725
17-18 Mileage: 775
16-17 Mileage: 465
15-16 Mileage: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnstang View Post
You must be fun to ride with.
I do my best
Old 12-24-2018, 07:40 AM   #433 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 SBA 850
Previous Sled(s): too many to choose from

Quote:
Don't buy into the hype. Polaris used a different honing process to help with break-in. Single ring pistons = requires new honing technique. Crank bearing failure was due to case sealant in the oil line port, not allowing enough oil to the bearing. All of these failed within 100 miles. (4 failures) Very isolated issue. Polaris is aware. Ride it!
so then , the lack of oil makes the bearing move in the case until it welds itself to the crank? ..?
Old 12-24-2018, 07:59 AM   #434 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 Rush Pro R 800 retro 2001 XCSP 700
18-19 Mileage 1400
17-18 Mileage: 1200
16-17 Mileage: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommcat View Post
Yeah. I'm thinking like a blue 81 Camaro, air shocks in the back along with helper springs, craigar ss wheels or maybe keystones. CB antenna on the trunk lid. 305 with your hand ported and polished double hump heads, 850 double pumper that drowns the motor....

But I could be wrong, it might not be blue.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

So, just to give you a little carb lesson, by itself, an 850 won't drown the "engine". It's an internal combustion "engine" and then there is an electric "motor". Now that we got that lesson out of the way, back to the carb. It would actually run lean. A carb works on a pressure differential at the booster/venturi. When you put a carb with a big venturi and throttle blade, such as an 850 on a 305, it doesn't pull a strong signal at the booster/venturi, it actually runs lean, because it can't pull fuel thru the jet and main well, working exactly opposite of what most think, including you. So, then you get a lean stumble. So, then you need to add main jet to band aid it, and get the proper air fuel ratio. By itself, it won't drown the "engine" as you say. If one was to improve the booster signal, with say an effective annular booster design,vs the typical down leg booster holley typically puts in an 850, that is much more sensitive to the weaker signal from the smaller "engine", it works quite well, obviously the low and high speed air bleeds need to be tuned accordingly, along with the primary and secondary squirters, and with the proper power valve and power valve channel restrictions, you could actually get better mileage and a lot more power vs a smaller carb, because there is less manifold vaccum in the intake at part throttle cruise, which reduces the pumping losses the engine sees and will there for improve mileage, as long as all the circuits are tuned accordingly.

Also, I have made some serious steam with double hump heads over the years, and you shouldn't discount them.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:20 AM   #435 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

my thought on the 850 patriot. the whole fucking motor is junk. 18 miles on mine and the coating is stuck in the rings, it's in the crank, etc. pistons are complete garbage. Kelsey is right he had one of these apart and told me the motor was junk, now Indy Dan says it is. i never should have taken it. i'am more than pissed. I see a huge class action lawsuit coming. the very last Polaris i will ever buy. I guess it'a over to the yellow team.

They hand built a few for testing. And they apparently were good? Then comes production and probably cut corners went with the lowest bidder on parts etc. and this abortion is the result.
Frozenstiff and mnstang like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Northstar Performance Products
Stage 1,2,3 clutch kits
Oil tank vent kits
Doo T-Stat bypass kits
Rush/Axys A-Arm bushing kits
550 fan upgrade kit

Our products have been race tested and proven all across North America!

Authorized dealer for
SLP
RK-Tek
WPS
US Chrome
Thunder Products
Automatic Distributors
Venom/Team Ind.
Redline Oil
Klotz Racing Synthetics
K100
Old 12-24-2018, 08:28 AM   #436 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '16 ZR6 El Tigre, '90 Jag 340
Previous Sled(s): '02 ZL 600, '91 Indy 500
Favorite Riding Area: Wherever I am.
18-19 Mileage 2005
17-18 Mileage: 1100
16-17 Mileage: 300
15-16 Mileage: 673
Riding Since: 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie406 View Post
So, just to give you a little carb lesson, by itself, an 850 won't drown the "engine". It's an internal combustion "engine" and then there is an electric "motor". Now that we got that lesson out of the way, back to the carb. It would actually run lean. A carb works on a pressure differential at the booster/venturi. When you put a carb with a big venturi and throttle blade, such as an 850 on a 305, it doesn't pull a strong signal at the booster/venturi, it actually runs lean, because it can't pull fuel thru the jet and main well, working exactly opposite of what most think, including you. So, then you get a lean stumble. So, then you need to add main jet to band aid it, and get the proper air fuel ratio. By itself, it won't drown the "engine" as you say. If one was to improve the booster signal, with say an effective annular booster design,vs the typical down leg booster holley typically puts in an 850, that is much more sensitive to the weaker signal from the smaller "engine", it works quite well, obviously the low and high speed air bleeds need to be tuned accordingly, along with the primary and secondary squirters, and with the proper power valve and power valve channel restrictions, you could actually get better mileage and a lot more power vs a smaller carb, because there is less manifold vaccum in the intake at part throttle cruise, which reduces the pumping losses the engine sees and will there for improve mileage, as long as all the circuits are tuned accordingly.

Also, I have made some serious steam with double hump heads over the years, and you shouldn't discount them.
You and CJ make a good couple
klode likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:38 AM   #437 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 Indy-XC- 600-129
Previous Sled(s): Anything But a Bombi!!
Favorite Riding Area: Where ever there is snow!!
Riding Since: 1965
Default Have a merry Xmas

With all talk of engines blowing up and cat going down the tubes and the daffy duck bombi`s, (Yes I`m Santa today) I think I will just go for a ride on these and hope for snow and take the sled out after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sexy-Santa-Girls-12.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	2034542  
Old 12-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #438 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2018 XR-S Renegade
Previous Sled(s): 2003 F7 SP , 2008 F8 SP, 2013 XF800 SP
Favorite Riding Area: Hayward and the U.P
18-19 Mileage 850
17-18 Mileage: 900
16-17 Mileage: 800
15-16 Mileage: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarrick View Post
my thought on the 850 patriot. the whole fucking motor is junk. 18 miles on mine and the coating is stuck in the rings, it's in the crank, etc. pistons are complete garbage. Kelsey is right he had one of these apart and told me the motor was junk, now Indy Dan says it is. i never should have taken it. i'am more than pissed. I see a huge class action lawsuit coming. the very last Polaris i will ever buy. I guess it'a over to the yellow team.

They hand built a few for testing. And they apparently were good? Then comes production and probably cut corners went with the lowest bidder on parts etc. and this abortion is the result.
Dam Doo has sucked for so many years and Doo 850’s cant beat Poo 800’s . Welcome to DooTalk! See ya over there.

HAHA Fuckers Now Doo will have the best clutch kits! Sign me up for one. LOL

Last edited by Muskegocat; 12-24-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #439 (permalink)
TommCat Performance

Current Sled(s): too many
Previous Sled(s): 10 F8, 06 F7, 03 ZR9, 02 ZL6, 98 ZR6, 86 El Tigre 6000
Favorite Riding Area: Maine
Riding Since: 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie406 View Post

you are trying way too hard
mnstang and klode like this.

Home of the only clutch kits that can save you from honey badgers
Old 12-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #440 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 19 ZR 8000 LTD
Previous Sled(s): 15 ZR 4000 72 PUMA
Favorite Riding Area: Whiteshell
18-19 Mileage 2200
17-18 Mileage: 2000
16-17 Mileage: 1000
15-16 Mileage: 1200
Riding Since: 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarrick View Post

I hope you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread