Any good tips for Orlando Tampa Bay Area - HCS Snowmobile Forums

General Discussion Forum A place for all off topic discussions. Forum Rules inside

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 M8 HCR, Wife 2012 M8 Retro, 1964 Husski
Previous Sled(s): Shitload of Cats
Favorite Riding Area: Revelstoke/ Sicomous BC
18-19 Mileage 240
17-18 Mileage: 243
16-17 Mileage: 242
15-16 Mileage: 241
Riding Since: 1974
Default Any good tips for Orlando Tampa Bay Area

Heading to a conference in Tampa Bay first week of November with the wife and 3 daughters aged 14, 12 and 10.

We are going to be in Tampa for three nights, plan to catch a NHL game, tickets look fairly cheap.
Might check out the everglades or do some red necking with some friends around Seabring for a day, you know, shooting guns, wild boar hunting and tearing around on some side by sides and jeeps!(Might be the highlight of the trip because my girls love hunting! )
Want to catch some theme parks in Orlando, been may years since I have been to any of them there.

Plan on being in Orlando for around 3-4 days
Any tips, must sees, what to stay away from in Both Orlando and or Tampa Bay?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My drinking team has a racing problem....
Wiser's De Luxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2016, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 Pro S 800 , 2007 IQ 600 CFI
Previous Sled(s): 2012 Pro R 800, 2010 IQ 600, 2007 IQ 600, 2001 Classic 600
Favorite Riding Area: any place there is snow
18-19 Mileage 1100
17-18 Mileage: 1400
16-17 Mileage: 820
15-16 Mileage: 650
Riding Since: 1968

My parents have spent winters in Central Florida for years. They are 5 minutes from Lego Land which used to be Cypress Gardens. When we went for visits, when our kids were young, we made trips to Orlando for Disney, Universal Studios, Sea World ect... When our kids got to be your kids age, they preferred to just spend time at the beach. There is no ocean in Minnesota! We found Fort Desoto Beach just south of St Pete's beach was nice and not to crowded. Some times less activity is better than running all over the state. If they want to go to a theme park consider Busch Gardens which is right in Tampa. From Tampa to Orlando can be 3 hours with traffic. Sebring and the Everglades are long trip from Tampa as well. Florida is getting real crowded and travel around the state can be very slow and frustrating.
streetrodder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 08 Doo 800r , 01 SP Hooper 700 , ZR/Wildcat 7
Favorite Riding Area: Your Mom
Riding Since: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiser's De Luxe View Post
Heading to a conference in Tampa Bay first week of November with the wife and 3 daughters aged 14, 12 and 10.

We are going to be in Tampa for three nights, plan to catch a NHL game, tickets look fairly cheap.
Might check out the everglades or do some red necking with some friends around Seabring for a day, you know, shooting guns, wild boar hunting and tearing around on some side by sides and jeeps!(Might be the highlight of the trip because my girls love hunting! )
Want to catch some theme parks in Orlando, been may years since I have been to any of them there.

In bold i would just do that the entire time your not at the conference. Sounds like a good time

As far as theme parks go in Orlando... Stay the F away from the alligators.
Wildcat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016, ProS LE, 2015 ProS 600 Anniversary
Previous Sled(s): 2006 600 fusion, 2012 800 ProR LE
Favorite Riding Area: Home
Riding Since: 1965

Quote:

Definitely do the everglades, try do an airboat ride, and maybe a boat ride thru the mangrove swamp.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 Switchback Pro R 800
Previous Sled(s): 2001 800XC 1999 XLTSP

parks will be "empty" at that time of the year. We go to Orlando every winter and hit both St. Pete's and Cocoa each time. Gulf coast is much nicer IMO. lots more waves on the Atlantic and life guards there.

My kids are pretty much done with the parks and they are both under 10 years. We're now running off the beaten path and doing some local stuff in Clearwater and Orlando.

Disney is the most expensive. SeaWorld parks are the best bang for the buck.

Don't stay in a hotel...find a house to rent if you can. MUCH CHEAPER! Tampa is really nice and picking up a hockey game in that area which has a great hockey market is an awesome treat.

Best ticket value i've found is at undercover tourist dot com

Last edited by Lexuslover; 09-25-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Lexuslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

18-19 Mileage 240

Hah! I know all too well about the traffic, I spend quite a bit of time flying into Orlando and then driving down to Sebring for work, all those friking old people down there driving in the wrong lane to get to Dennys for there 4 pm Supper!

I never travel down there with the wife and kids, just work related and rednecking with my buddies down around Sebring on weekends, I agree the kids might have more fun hanging out in the bush and tearing up the country on side by sides and jeeps.
I know have a blast doing it !
Would love to do a airboat ride, but not one of those lame ass commercial ones, I want to go with Bubba and have him say "Hold my beer and hang on for your life"! LOL

Kids will have some beach and pool and relax time while my wife and I check out the Parasail conference.
As for theme parks probably just take them to Bush gardens or Universal studios.
We did the Disney stuff in California a few years back, Mickey got enough of my money already!
I believe we can all get free passes down there for any of the theme parks using some travel reward points i have acquired over the years which will keep the cost down. (More money for beer for me while rednecking! )

Thanks for all that replied and all that will reply, appreciate the input and tips!

Old 09-25-2016, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

you fly from Kelowna to Orlando? Wow, kudos to you as that's probably a good 6 hour flight
Old 09-25-2016, 04:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016, ProS LE, 2015 ProS 600 Anniversary
Previous Sled(s): 2006 600 fusion, 2012 800 ProR LE
Favorite Riding Area: Home
Riding Since: 1965

Quote:
Hah! I know all too well about the traffic, I spend quite a bit of time flying into Orlando and then driving down to Sebring for work, all those friking old people down there driving in the wrong lane to get to Dennys for there 4 pm Supper!

I never travel down there with the wife and kids, just work related and rednecking with my buddies down around Sebring on weekends, I agree the kids might have more fun hanging out in the bush and tearing up the country on side by sides and jeeps.
I know have a blast doing it !
Would love to do a airboat ride, but not one of those lame ass commercial ones, I want to go with Bubba and have him say "Hold my beer and hang on for your life"! LOL

Kids will have some beach and pool and relax time while my wife and I check out the Parasail conference.
As for theme parks probably just take them to Bush gardens or Universal studios.
We did the Disney stuff in California a few years back, Mickey got enough of my money already!
I believe we can all get free passes down there for any of the theme parks using some travel reward points i have acquired over the years which will keep the cost down. (More money for beer for me while rednecking! )

Thanks for all that replied and all that will reply, appreciate the input and tips!
Bubba is not to hard to find down there, My wife took a lot of convincing to go on a commercial ride around the lake, and it was more interesting than I expected, my co-workers found Bubba and his friends. Lots of beer consumed listening to stories. We also caught a 400lb Hammerhead off of Ft. Lauderdale.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

18-19 Mileage 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddylover View Post
you fly from Kelowna to Orlando? Wow, kudos to you as that's probably a good 6 hour flight
Yes, it will be a long one but not bad, considering we are going right across North America diagonally!
We are going in to Calgary, then transferring there, then Calgary direct. There were some options that I seen that would have taken two days to get there!

We leave 6 AM our time get int to Orlando 5 PM local time. so overall around 9 hours.
Coming back same thing, leaving Orlando 5 PM, getting back home 11 PM, with 3 hour time change just around 9 hours.

I drove down to Valdosa Georgia once from home to pick up a boat, that was a long ass ride, Valdosa is right on the Florida Georgia line.
I am never buying another boat at the online auction house Cranky Ape again LOL, I was one Cranky Ape after that trip.
Hats off to the long distance truckers who do that shit day in and day out. It was a beautiful trip though as I ran it in the fall and the weather was beautiful.

Flight cost wasn't bad, taxes in $680 Canadian per person, wife flight was $200 and change because I had a WestJet companion voucher.
Kids are pretty good with flying they did a big sports ringette tourney last winter in Finland and Sweden which was some pretty long nights and involved sleeping at some airports for a bit!

Old 09-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

around a 4 hour flight for us from Winnipeg. Kids are pretty much done by the time we get there. Good thing its a direct flight with no stop overs. And yes, Westjet has some good value for sure. Use them for all my flights and points and companion vouchers. West jet screwed up last year when we were coming back from FL and they gave our 4 Plus seats away to someone else right when we were boarding to go back home. Needless to say i was handsomely compensated by them after my clearly worded bitching to customer service in Calgary. Plus seats for all 4 of us return flights to anywhere in North America.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement