2007 F5 intermittent bog - HCS Snowmobile Forums

F series (07- ) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2007 F5 intermittent bog

I hate to bring up this never ending battle again with the F5 bog but i cannot figure this out. I have a 2007 F5 non APV that has a serious bog. It started out with a low end bog and would eventually clear up. Brought it to the cat dealer and they said it need a rebuild even though compression was good. Decided to go a different route and have the injectors cleaned and have it remapped. This didnt solve the problem. Now this winter the bog has moved all the way through the rpm range and sometimes clears up but normally doesn't. I tested the TPS sensor and it was .83 volts at idle and 2.4 volts wide open. I thought this was the issue and replaced the TPS and still reads the same volts. First question what should the volts read on the TPS sensor? I did make my own 5 volt tester with a multi meter and a phone charge and it is sending 5 volts. Another thing i would like to mention is that i pull the reeds and they were good. One thing that i thought was interesting was that the plugs were wet when i pulled them out. What should i be checking next? starting to get frustrated with this.

Thanks in advance.
bailey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Riding Since: 1861

Long list of thoughts / possible causes.

-comp test done, did you do a leak down?
-intake boots checked for cracks?
-are you positive clutches are working exactly as they should (engagement rpm ok / same question top end rpm?) Smaller the engine more sensitive they can be.
-oil pump ratio confirmed not insanely rich?
-looked closely at crank seals for any signs of a leak?
-muffler not broken internally causing a restriction? Perhaps pull the can off n run easy without to see if it improves.
-crack in Y pipe?
-air box restricted by debris or other?
-if bought used, does it have correct ratio diamond drive in place?
-pull belt off n confirm no binding in the drivetrain?
-replace plug boots?
-correct heat range plugs properly gapped?
-throttle body's in sync to each other?
-is it consuming any coolant?
-have you spec'd out the stator? Similar intermittent issue on son's previous 07 F6 for several hundred to thousands miles only to see it finally quit on the trail. If an issue, Stator Kev is the absolute go to guy for rebuilding them. Perfect job every time and price is right, great guy as well.
-not sure if F5 is the same but F10 / F8 have a ground wire thats prone to breaking down by the recoil.
-check specs on the coolant temp switch or if wire rubbed?
-confirm no wires partially rubbed n shorting? Perhaps isolate handlebars by disconnecting at pivot n see if any change.
zr sled head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2018 XR-S Renegade
Previous Sled(s): 2003 F7 SP , 2008 F8 SP, 2013 XF800 SP
Favorite Riding Area: Hayward and the U.P
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 850
17-18 Mileage: 900
16-17 Mileage: 800

Bet you have a electrical short some where (exposed wire) it will only get worse.
Muskegocat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2019, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2018 XR-S Renegade
Previous Sled(s): 2003 F7 SP , 2008 F8 SP, 2013 XF800 SP
Favorite Riding Area: Hayward and the U.P
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 850
17-18 Mileage: 900
16-17 Mileage: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskegocat View Post
Bet you have a electrical short some where (exposed wire) it will only get worse.
We found this issue every where from inside the kill switch button got a kinked wire got exposed and was hitting the handle bar to wires rubbing the plastic coating off in multiple other places along the frame.
Muskegocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Riding Since: 1861

^ Thats why I suggested isolating all wiring to the bars via unplugging, yes one of the common areas for wiring rubs as is around the RH upper spar.
zr sled head is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement