Nordics snow status. - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Scandinavian Snowmobile Forums Denmark, Finland, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2015, 04:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: Norrland Sweden
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 250
17-18 Mileage: 6d many many smiles
16-17 Mileage: ##smiles
Riding Since: 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_Lapplander View Post
No problem, yeah i know what you mean with the price. It all adds up quite fast as you said, i just hope you guys manage something this year.

Riding off trail can be illegal in many areas, so you would need to either have permission from the land owner or know if/where you can ride off trail legally(this is one of the main reasons to have a guide to begin with).
I hope we get to go this season as well, though I'm preparing myself I might have to go without Arina. And due to price it then might have to be with a normal group, trailriding. I'll just make sure I'll get a decent sled and hang back and do my own thing.

In Sweden off trail riding is less bound to rules than in Finland. There it's actually legal except some places (if I'm not mistaken).
Found the rules:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.snoskoterradet.se/english/
Where may you drive a snowmobile?

Driving a snowmobile in snow-covered terrain is essentially allowed, but there are certain restrictions:

It is forbidden to drive in woodlands or on agricultural land if it is not apparent that this can be done without risk of damaging the woods or the land. It is generally forbidden to drive in forest plantings or in young forests with a height of less than two metres over the snow cover. You are personally responsible for ascertaining that there is no risk of damage.
In the mountains there are a number of so-called ”regulated areas”. In some of these areas there are public snowmobile trails. There driving can take place only on the trails. In other regulated areas a total prohibition of snowmobile applies to the public. See the map of regulated areas.
The county administrative board or municipality can issue bans on driving snowmobiles in other areas in view of outdoor life, reindeer husbandry, animal life, conservation or other factors.
In national parks and nature reserves special regulations apply. In certain parks and reserves it is forbidden to operate motor vehicles. In the regulations for the protected area you can see if it is forbidden.
Public snowmobiling is forbidden in a ski facility’s slopes or adjacent to them. The area is to be regarded as a ski area, and when the facility is closed, it is to be regarded as a work area where no one else is allowed to be present. Only the ski facility’s snowmobiles are allowed in the ski area.
NOTE! Find out if there are areas with regulations for snowmobile traffic when you consider snowmobiling. Talk with the tourist office or the snowmobile tourist company.
Nationella Snöskoterrådet » Karta över skoterregleringsområden
Sneeuwscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): All of em!
Previous Sled(s): Something with skis and a track.
Favorite Riding Area: Anywhere with deep snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeuwscooter View Post
I hope we get to go this season as well, though I'm preparing myself I might have to go without Arina. And due to price it then might have to be with a normal group, trailriding. I'll just make sure I'll get a decent sled and hang back and do my own thing.

In Sweden off trail riding is less bound to rules than in Finland. There it's actually legal except some places (if I'm not mistaken).
Found the rules:

That would suck, hope you can get permission to do that with some company. I know that here in Finland they would not allow it in the regular groups because it might cause others less experienced to start trying to do the same things...

Cool did not know that, think i need to take some time and study the snowmobiling regulations for Sweden and Norway.

And on a side note, most of the snow here has melted and rained down, probably down to only about 15 - 20 cm or so. Also getting more consistant frost but just under 0C so might still thaw a bit...

Brand bashers and brand fanboys are the same, all trying to compensate for something they don't have.
ICE_Lapplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_Lapplander View Post
Cool did not know that, think i need to take some time and study the snowmobiling regulations for Sweden and Norway.

And on a side note, most of the snow here has melted and rained down, probably down to only about 15 - 20 cm or so. Also getting more consistant frost but just under 0C so might still thaw a bit...
Don't bother with Norway, there are hardly any trails and any off trail riding is not permitted and the locals will report you. (Or so I've been told.)

Side note? That's actually on topic...

Old 11-18-2015, 09:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeuwscooter View Post
Don't bother with Norway, there are hardly any trails and any off trail riding is not permitted and the locals will report you. (Or so I've been told.)

Side note? That's actually on topic...
Well from what i have heard that changes once you get further north into the Finnmark region for instance. But need to read up on it to be sure.

haha yeah i know! Just figured i should at least stay slightly on topic in "my own" thread!

Brand bashers and brand fanboys are the same, all trying to compensate for something they don't have.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:

Looks like there's more snow and there to stay up North (Arjeplog and more North). How's the condition at Rovaniemi?
Old 11-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

It's crap at the moment. Raining all day and snow has turned to wet slurry. Forecast is saying we will be in the just above zero range during the day and some of the nights until Dec 1st. With sporadic rain/sleet as well during that time, safe to say riding is not an option yet!

Old 12-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

End of the year approaching and we still only have around 35-50cm of snow. Less than is normal, and the snow condition is far from what it usually is. Right now the local snow is all hard crusted, similar to what we get in spring. This time of year i should be seeing between 50 to 75cm of fluffy powder snow. Hoping things improve, but so far it seems the weather is going to keep acting strangely. This is almost like being back in Iceland!

Old 12-29-2015, 03:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:

I hear the weather is supposed to change to 'normal' mids January.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Lets hope so!

Old 01-05-2016, 03:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

19-20 Mileage:

In the North of the Netherlands it has been snowing yesterday and today. There was about 10 cm and it was -4 degr. C. In the south of the Netherlands, only about 300 km apart it was 10 degr. C.
Keep in mind, the Netherlands is flat, so these kind of differences in weather are really uncommon.

How are things up in the real north?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement