need help with rear suspension setup with different mounting holes on various parts - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

440/race/modified This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 10:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Tom, if I used the holes circled in red (pic 1) to mount the whole center link assembly, would that allow me to use the rear hole on the FTA in the front hole on the rail (pic 2)? I think you would have to have a little extra track to do this though.

crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2007, 11:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

id think even with that chagne you would need a longer shafted shock to do this and if you read toms page about this at the akracing website, they tryed it and the longer shafts didnt work so well.
Half Baked Powder Coating
Wheels inc.[/SIZE]
timespentsearching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I guess I'll just have to wait for my new rails to get here and do some experimenting.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #24 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 AXYS ProX Switchback
Previous Sled(s): 06 800CFI IQr, 05 700BB IQr, 700ProX
18-19 Mileage 2000
Riding Since: 1980

You can use the RTA from a Pro X, but, you need to cut approx 3/8 from each side of the splined shaft and about 1/8 from the outer tube. I didn't see any geometry differences, did I miss something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jmorlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #25 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

he is trying to make the ftr ong and sit lower. what is wants to do is not posible because the shocks is to short to make up the difference. the best thing is to do the skid relocation mod the tom has posted a few time before, is on the akraicng website and is in the prox forum, it the same mod just for a prox. go here and read all about it.
http://akracing.com/id5.html
Wheels inc.[/SIZE]
Old 10-17-2007, 10:12 AM   #26 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
he is trying to make the ftr ong and sit lower. what is wants to do is not posible because the shocks is to short to make up the difference. the best thing is to do the skid relocation mod the tom has posted a few time before, is on the akraicng website and is in the prox forum, it the same mod just for a prox. go here and read all about it.
http://akracing.com/id5.html[/b]
I'm thinking if you're moving the bottom mount of the shock forward it should compensate for moving the top of the shock forward, maybe...Tom? My rails should be here next week.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:24 AM   #27 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm thinking if you're moving the bottom mount of the shock forward it should compensate for moving the top of the shock forward, maybe...Tom? My rails should be here next week.[/b]
you are correct on this idea but your not going to have enough bottome movment for the amount of top movement you want, you can always just try it, that the best way to do things but im 99% positive it wont work.
Wheels inc.[/SIZE]
Old 10-17-2007, 11:34 AM   #28 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm thinking if you're moving the bottom mount of the shock forward it should compensate for moving the top of the shock forward, maybe...Tom? My rails should be here next week.[/b]
When you use the optional hole in the rail for mounting the FTA it doesn't really move the top of the front track shock forward, at least not much. The forward hole in the rail must use the forward bushing in the FTA and the rearward hole in the rail must use the rear bushing in the FTA.

By moving the lower pivot assembly forward, depicted by the red circles in your picture, you are doing two things. You are changing the geometry of the Rear Track Shock essentially creating more of a falling rate situation in the overall rear arm suspension movement. And you are standing the front track shock up in a more verticle position which essentially increases its shaft speed and makes it more resistant to bump absorbtion on the front of the rail. One problem with doing this is the shock will now bottom out on it self before the FTA hits the rail bumpers.

In real world riding you will have a stiffer front arm and a slightly softer rear arm which may improve weight transfer but may affect deep snow capabilities because the stiff front arm will have a steeper approach angle for longer.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
In real world riding you will have a stiffer front arm and a slightly softer rear arm which may improve weight transfer but may affect deep snow capabilities because the stiff front arm will have a steeper approach angle for longer.[/b]
Well, that's going in the wrong direction for me, so I'll scrap that idea. When doing the '05 skid relocation, how much track slack do you pick up? Minimal?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #30 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, that's going in the wrong direction for me, so I'll scrap that idea. When doing the '05 skid relocation, how much track slack do you pick up? Minimal?[/b]
Actually quite a bit. You need to have at least 1/2" of forward axle movement available or your track will be too tight when you lower the FTA mounting holes.

If you have about 2" of sag in your track before the relocate it will be gone after the relocate. A new IQ 440 in '05 need some modification to the rails for this mod to work. After the tracks stretched a little it wasn't necessary to modify the rails.
Advertisement