need help with rear suspension setup with different mounting holes on various parts - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

440/race/modified This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:

[/b]
These mounting holes ore for the different adjustments in the shock bars and RTA. These different holes were only offered in the '04 ProXr 440 and the '05 IQ racer. By '06 Polaris figured out this adjustment wasn't necessary and saved a little money on tooling and drilling and eliminated it. The center hole is what the Polaris engineers decided was the best compromise. They also figured out how to mount the skid properly in the tunnel and it made these adjustments unnecessary.

What the Aluminum Shock Rods do is they pull backwards on the center pivot as the RTS and RTA compress. Remember the center pivot is trying to move away from the shock as the suspension compresses. The Shock Rods are like reins on a horse, they pull back on the pivot so it doesn't run away so fast.

Basically, changing from the center hole in the RTA changes the rate of shaft speed on the RTS. The top hole provides for a slower shaft speed during the initial 3" of RTS compression. In the top hole the Shock Rods don't pull back on the center pivot very much as the shock compresses. This provides a softer ride in the first few inches of skid travel.

In the lower hole as the RTA compresses the Shock Rods immediately pull back on the center pivot and this increases shaft speed of the RTS during the first 3" if shock compression. This provides for a stiffer ride in the first few inches of skid travel.

The extra holes in the Aluminum Shock Bars are used when you change the mounting position of the Rods on the RTA. You must use the correct two holes in the Rods for each of the three positions in the RTA. The '04 and '05 manual describe which hole is for which position and I don't have that year manual near me. There is also a sticker on the Rods that tells you which holes to use. The sticker part # is 7172209, I would suggest buying a sticker and keeping it handy so you can make sure you use the correct holes in the Rods.

From the looks of things in these pictures some of the suspension mounting holes have seen some wear. They are not completely worn out but they are not new either. On at least a few parts (like the Aluminum Shock Rods) I would consider replacing them. At least keep an eye on them as they can make the suspension feel sloppy.

So there you go.

Any Questions???
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2007, 04:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 Pro RMK 800 155"
Previous Sled(s): 800 CFI IQR, 800 IQR, 660 ProX
Favorite Riding Area: Off Trail Powder
Riding Since: 1975

thanks tom. i need to get a 05 manual for my sled as i dont have one. is the info on the sticker you talked about also in the manual?

thanks again
jason
Old 10-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 797 136" IQr
Previous Sled(s): 800edge 700 XCR Indy 650
Favorite Riding Area: snow
Riding Since: 1980

Yea J, it is.
02800x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): SKS 155 Turbo, Assault 144, Highcountry turbo
Previous Sled(s): 1100 Turbo Outlaw

I can now say that I am smarter, thanks Tom.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

i have 1 more question, perhaps it was covered above and i missed it. on the transfer rods(or shock rods i think you called them) there stamped long, medium, and short. what is the best position to run them in? i moved the mounting hole they bolt to on top back to the middle like you said, and i installed them in the medium position for now. what do you guys with extensions or longer rails do for out west that works? just remove the rear sissor stops (since rmk rears dont have them) and run it the same as home?
i left them in last year out west and it didnt seem like it was right.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

oops i guess that was 2 questions. i got toms avatar girl uploaded again.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

If you go back the stock center hole on the Rear Torque Arm you will want to use end (furthest out) hole on one end of the Aluminum Bar and the second hole (not the furthest out) on the other end of the bar.

Like in this picture. Not the best picture but thats all I have right now.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 13 IQR 875, 15 Pro-RMK CC 900, 18 AXYS 600r
Previous Sled(s): 2010 Polaris Rush, 2007 IQ SB 600 CFI, 2001 XC 600, IQR's +
Favorite Riding Area: Togwotee, WY

Quote:
If you go back the stock center hole on the Rear Torque Arm you will want to use end (furthest out) hole on one end of the Aluminum Bar and the second hole (not the furthest out) on the other end of the bar.

Like in this picture. Not the best picture but thats all I have right now.

[/b]

Tom, have you ever used parts from the PRO-X rear suspension in conjuction with the IQ's? Reason for question, my 05 IQ has a cracked FTA, I have looked over my 03's FTA and it's shorter but the back mounting holes line up length wise with the front mounting holes on the 05's. By the looks of it it should work the same way and have the same stock geometry as the 05.

Also to Mr PROX, you can get the rods that you have wollored out for $14.00 bucks a peice from polaris, now Tom would you be smarter upgrading the bars/rods to the 2006's?
The Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Tom, have you ever used parts from the PRO-X rear suspension in conjuction with the IQ's? Reason for question, my 05 IQ has a cracked FTA, I have looked over my 03's FTA and it's shorter but the back mounting holes line up length wise with the front mounting holes on the 05's. By the looks of it it should work the same way and have the same stock geometry as the 05.

Also to Mr PROX, you can get the rods that you have wollored out for $14.00 bucks a peice from polaris, now Tom would you be smarter upgrading the bars/rods to the 2006's?[/b]
ProX FTA is 3/4" wider than the IQ, won't fit properly without modification.

I would buy the cheaper Aluminum rods, and if they are both the same price I would buy the '05 just incase you decide to try one of the other holes in the RTA. The '06 Shock Rods will work just fine if you stay in the middle hole on the RTA.

I am going to start calling the Aluminum Shock Rods shock bars from now on. Poo calls then rods but it just doesn't make scense.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 13 IQR 875, 15 Pro-RMK CC 900, 18 AXYS 600r
Previous Sled(s): 2010 Polaris Rush, 2007 IQ SB 600 CFI, 2001 XC 600, IQR's +
Favorite Riding Area: Togwotee, WY

Quote:
ProX FTA is 3/4" wider than the IQ, won't fit properly without modification.

I would buy the cheaper Aluminum rods, and if they are both the same price I would buy the '05 just incase you decide to try one of the other holes in the RTA. The '06 Shock Rods will work just fine if you stay in the middle hole on the RTA.

I am going to start calling the Aluminum Shock Rods shock bars from now on. Poo calls then rods but it just doesn't make scense.[/b]
Damn, I always forget the obvous! I was so concerned with the length and height I completely forgot about the width! Well, off to the dealership to order a new FTA. Damn, 03' was powder coated and everything! Haha.

I have not used the bolt kit I received from you yet, I am kinda at a stand still. Suspension parts at powdercoat, ZBroz is waiting on powdercoating for a-arms, and I sent the engine out to Carls. I just sit and the garage and stare! All my projects are pretty much at a stand still. I am sure it will snow tomarrow! Haha. This was a answer to your question from a different post.
The Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement