05 IQR with 01 xc 600 problems - HCS Snowmobile Forums

440/race/modified This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 05 IQR with 01 xc 600 problems

I posted to the XC forum but I will try here as well...

I picked up a non running 05 IQR with a 01 XC 600 swap last year. I rebuilt the top end last year cleaned power valves and carbs installed new stock jets except went to 410 mains, installed new gaskets etc. It ran good last year but seemed to get horrendous gas mileage like 6-7 out on the trails not even riding too aggressive. Went out a couple times early this year and it ran about the same. One day I couldnít get it started and noticed a puddle of gas under my sled. After some trouble shooting I replaced the o rings in the float assemblies and did a leak test and seemed ok so I cleaned the carbs and put them in the sled. During this process a more knowledgeable friend took a look at my carbs and said it looked like they were bored as the intakes were smooth and shiny and did not look like the other surfaces on the carbs. At this point they were already on and I was leaving for a trip so I just put it back together and away I went . So this weekend it ran worse than ever. Over the lake I was not riding hard maybe 50-60 and it could not last more than 25-30 seconds of maybe short quarter throttle pulls and letting off before it would start to pop and bog. This never happened in the trails. I tried half choke and I could get by on the straights without it bogging. At one point I couldnít get it started and pulled the plugs and they were definitely wet with fuel. I came back in a bit and installed new plugs and it fired. It does have v force reeds, 600rr pipe, skinz can. Any ideas on where I go from here? How can it be lean too end and rich other times? Iím not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions? Thanks!

A couple of items that may be of importance I found recently...

I do not have that metal snow deflector for the exhaust outlet that kind of baffles it. I heard this maybe an issue?

And also I do not have my carb vents attached to my airbox. Mine are definitely not long enough to reach the airbox and I dont recall there even being a fitting for the tube. I have seen other sleds that have run fine with vents not being hooked up. Not that I am saying that is not the problem as I am no expert.
SlyQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 600R, 2008 IQr, 2008 IQrr,
Previous Sled(s): still have 98xc7 220 motor
Favorite Riding Area: Mancelona cabin "Oleo Acres"

rich because your flipping the choke.

-check compression
-you can run with vents dangling, it just needs to be jetted properly. Usually 3 jet sizes difference between venting to the airbox and not.
-post photos of the transplant so we can get an idea of what you have
Old 02-14-2019, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
rich because your flipping the choke.

-check compression
-you can run with vents dangling, it just needs to be jetted properly. Usually 3 jet sizes difference between venting to the airbox and not.
-post photos of the transplant so we can get an idea of what you have
I was only flipping the choke after it would bog out on every straight away for the first 3-4 hours of riding. It would start to pop and bog and definitely sounded like it was going to blow up after about 20 seconds of on and off the throttle. But in the trails it ran pretty good. Its like when in the trails Iím off the throttle enough to let the fuel catch up. But also like I mentioned it seemed rich on startup.

I will get some relevant pics tomorrow my sled is still in the trailer. Hereís all I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3E548471-302E-404C-844E-33DBDDF02639.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	2043936   Click image for larger version

Name:	D356304B-75F8-4C79-A850-9ACED503AE53.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	2043938   Click image for larger version

Name:	CDA41EA3-A061-4A26-961C-1F55CAE0CC35.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	2043940  

Old 02-14-2019, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 08 IQRR (660)
Previous Sled(s): 73 colt 340SS, 94 Indy 440, 96 xcr600, 98 XC7, 04 XC7,
Riding Since: 1985

-IQR carbs did not vent to airbox.

-If you are running air filters, the engine heat will make the sled go rich.

-good running with low throttle input and pops/backfire with strong throttle input usually is water in bowls.

- early VES 600s had carb boot delamination issues but that would cause a LEAN issue.

-410 main jets ... I think I ran them at 1000' elevation to zero degrees connected to an air box. so if your top end is bogging, maybe look at mains if your carb bowl vents do not connect to airbox.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Install the vent lines back to the airbox like they were in there original setup. It wont run correctly without being done. My opinion as that motor will not run correctly in its original chassis with the vent lines unhooked or even damaged/cracked. Easy to do. At least that issue will be eliminated.
moresnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 600R, 2008 IQr, 2008 IQrr,
Previous Sled(s): still have 98xc7 220 motor
Favorite Riding Area: Mancelona cabin "Oleo Acres"

RRs were vented to the airbox. He is a lot closer to an RR set up than an R.

On my 600 VES transplant in a R chassis, I have vents to the airbox.

runs like a raped ape
Old 02-18-2019, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moresnow View Post
Install the vent lines back to the airbox like they were in there original setup. It wont run correctly without being done. My opinion as that motor will not run correctly in its original chassis with the vent lines unhooked or even damaged/cracked. Easy to do. At least that issue will be eliminated.
Nothing about my sled is the original setup lol. And most of the time not in a good way.

Iíll try the vents to the airbox maybe this weekend I need some tubing they arenít even long enough to reach. Iím not even sure which airbox I have.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

I took it out ditchbanging today for a couple hours. It ran ok tough to start once and seemed to have a slight bog off the line and low end in general. I wasnít in the throttle long enough to experience the hard bog and pop I experienced last weekend.

And I almost sank today but not sled related the ďtrailĒ had a puddle that was about 4ft deep.

I tried to upload more pics but it said a security token was missing???

I plan to do the vents to the airbox and check the reeds when I get a chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement