Ski Doo 850Etec TURBO Released - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): CFR 1000 & PRO X2 800
Previous Sled(s): MANY
Favorite Riding Area: EVERYWHERE
Default Ski Doo 850Etec TURBO Released

BRP released a 850 ETEC TURBO yesterday afternoon, Summit only for now,, looks like the game is changing for the 2 stroke market,, I like it.
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...TEC-Turbo.html
Rev, M&S likes this.
gaige2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Many threads on this subject but agree that this is bringing a product to market that the mountain segment has been asking for and can actually use regardless of what some think of the cost.

There are others that just seem to be completely confused by it and cannot understand why anyone riding at elevation would want a sled that uses a turbo to maintain HP.

Finally there are those that want it to be a 200HP factory warrantied flat land option and that is never going to happen.
billp likes this.
jdskycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2020 900T XRS, & 2018 MXZ 850 XRS
Previous Sled(s): 2017 850 X, 2016 800 XRS, 2015 800 ProS, 2017 assault
Favorite Riding Area: Northern MI
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 2000+
17-18 Mileage: 1100
Riding Since: 1980

Yea... no pilots in the group i guess.... this is how airplane turbos work... they compensate for the loss of density by maintaining manifold pressure to sea level. I think its a great idea as it doesnt cause any additional stress to the engine, and will completely out perform a non turbo at altitude. I'm no mountain rider, but I am a pilot... and I wish my plane had this type of "normalized" turbo... alas.. maybe the next one.
Rubrsidedown likes this.
Drew 00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

it's a great idea to bring to the table, I also agree that this is lost on alot of people, I've seen a few guys posting stuff like "look BRP has to do a turbo just to keep up with cat's 800" yet BRP has made it clear in the press release why they did this, and it is just as it's marketed to maintain and keep a consistent power band at any altitude up to 8,000 feet.

Suck......Squeeze......Bang......Blow, it's not that hard.
Rev, M&S likes this.
gdub41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah Im amazed on the social medias with the "iT OnlY mAKeS 165hp?!" people. Thing can run on pump gas, any more boost and you'll need Race/AV mix. Especially the flatlanders, I'm an admitted FIB, who think they need 200hp for their little off-trail jaunts in the U.P. Those people are upset because they dont understand what this sled actually is.

Doo knocked it out of the park with this.
Trail Ryder likes this.
500ssDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '14 XRS 797 ETEC
Previous Sled(s): '13 T'NT 594
Favorite Riding Area: NY
19-20 Mileage: 1
18-19 Mileage: 1,261
17-18 Mileage: 1,775
16-17 Mileage: 1,645
Riding Since: '73
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdub41 View Post
.... I've seen a few guys posting stuff like "look BRP has to do a turbo just to keep up with cat's 800" .....
Haters got to hate. More guys just trying to justify the turd in garage already.

- The fact is this stock, factory Rotax-Turbo'd 850 2-stroke will make A LOT more power at 8,000 feet than any stock Arctic Cat or Polaris 2-stroke.
- This the first stock, turbo'd 2-stroke snowmobile that has been ever offered to the public, and it has a warranty.
- This turbo system only weighs 10 lbs more than the non-turbo'd version, and the sled already has nearly weight-less electric re-start (SHOT).

All pretty impressive stuff.
TurboJamie likes this.
Trail Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Ryder View Post
Haters got to hate. More guys just trying to justify the turd in garage already.

- The fact is this stock, factory Rotax-Turbo'd 850 2-stroke will make A LOT more power at 8,000 feet than any stock Arctic Cat or Polaris 2-stroke.
- This the first stock, turbo'd 2-stroke snowmobile that has been ever offered to the public, and it has a warranty.
- This turbo system only weighs 10 lbs more than the non-turbo'd version, and the sled already has nearly weight-less electric re-start (SHOT).

All pretty impressive stuff.
When the 850 came out three years ago, I was at the BRP show in Dallas, and when I was looking at a cutaway of the engine, and an engineer let me know that they have put in a very beefy crank, the first thing out of my mouth was "so when is the turbo coming out" and he just laughed and everyone else looked at me like I was from Mars.

If you look at BRP's history, they have a history of Turbo'ing new engines, the Spark, the 900 ace, the Can Am Maverick, it's not that hard to see the trends and then come to the conclusion that this was coming.

BRP doesn't let their customers do the R&D, they do so while it took a few years to get to market, you know it was done right and that this is going to rip.

It's sad that it's so lost on people that BRP did this to maintain the HP level at any altitude and that consumers are mistaking this sled as the start of the HP wars.
Trail Ryder likes this.
gdub41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew 00 View Post
Yea... no pilots in the group i guess.... this is how airplane turbos work... they compensate for the loss of density by maintaining manifold pressure to sea level. I think its a great idea as it doesnt cause any additional stress to the engine, and will completely out perform a non turbo at altitude. I'm no mountain rider, but I am a pilot... and I wish my plane had this type of "normalized" turbo... alas.. maybe the next one.
Pilot here. Don't fly the small ones anymore though!

I think it's a cool idea, the power loss at altitude is significant and this will definitely have a big market. Curious what polaris will do.
J-Cooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '14 XRS 797 ETEC
Previous Sled(s): '13 T'NT 594
Favorite Riding Area: NY
19-20 Mileage: 1
18-19 Mileage: 1,261
17-18 Mileage: 1,775
16-17 Mileage: 1,645
Riding Since: '73

I am secretly wishing for a 2021 850 Turbo Mach Z 137, but it is such a small percentage of the market that would even shovel out that kind of coin. Plus I don't know if it could dethrone the current Lake King (the Thunderwinder).
Trail Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Doo is the first production factory turbo petrol 2 stroke IN THE WORLD. That pretty cool for bragging right. I think the Cat T660 was the first turbo sled though. That was just a Suzuki Carry mini truck (look it up ) engine shoehorned into a sled. You can tell it's a truck motor too, its heavy.

It's great news for the mountain segment. Eventually it will be very useful. But for now it's kinda a waste ,165 hp? The old m1000 could do that. Maybe even at 6000ft with a pipe and tune.

I think I'd rather have the turbo over the ETEC to be honest. ETEC is way to over complicated for the "gains" it provides. As a mountain rider I could not care less about fuel and oil economy.
Advertisement