Ski Doo 850Etec TURBO Released - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2020, 10:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Ryder View Post
I am secretly wishing for a 2021 850 Turbo Mach Z 137, but it is such a small percentage of the market that would even shovel out that kind of coin. Plus I don't know if it could dethrone the current Lake King (the Thunderwinder).
You'd have to run race gas at low elevation even for a couple PSI of boost. Completely goes against what THIS 850T is, a gas/oil and go package. Doo wont doooo it.
500ssDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendomotox View Post

It's great news for the mountain segment. Eventually it will be very useful. But for now it's kinda a waste ,165 hp? The old m1000 could do that. Maybe even at 6000ft with a pipe and tune.

I think I'd rather have the turbo over the ETEC to be honest. ETEC is way to over complicated for the "gains" it provides. As a mountain rider I could not care less about fuel and oil economy.
But thats the thing about what Doo just did, you DONT need to have a tune and a pipe. Gas up with 91/93, fill it with oil and go. No dinking around with a race gas/100LL, tune/reading plugs, etc etc. Throw a leg over it and grab throttle.

Doo just put all the other mfgs on notice in the Mtn segment.
dskofich and Trail Ryder like this.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm not familiar with the aftermarket 2 stroke turbo kits but there are many other turbo engines out there that run on 87 with decent boost. Usually the compression is a little lower on a engine set up for boost. As well as different cam profiles that better complement the boost. And of course ignition timing has a large affect on power and detonation with or without boost.

I know this is all 4 stroke turbo stuff, but I would bet it can be applied to a 2 stroke turbo. I wonder what else Skidoo changed on the 850 Etec when they added the turbo? Porting, timing, compression, combustion chamber and pipe could probably have big effects. I bet doo will be adding power in the future, just like they have on ATVs and SxSs. We see this all the time with marketing.

On EDIT: I was just doing some reading on the Boondocker and Silber websites and on forums. It sounds like you can expect pretty close to 200hp on 91 octain at 6ish psi with either the 850 Etec or the Patriot 850. I haven't seen a lot of specific #s on hp vs elevation and boost. Both kits are adjuable from 3-10 psi. Another thing I just realized is that with this factory turbo 850 is that clutching should be better because the power doesn't change as much with elevation right?

By the way adding a pipe and a tuner is about as easy as it gets. Pull a couple springs and plug in the connector

I'm super stoked that Skidoo did it though, it will push the competition and competing usually means that we get a better end end product. It's about time it seems like sled development has been pretty stagnant for the last 10 years.

Last edited by Mendomotox; 01-20-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Mendomotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the aftermarket 2 stroke turbo kits but there are many other turbo engines out there that run on 87 with decent boost. Usually the compression is a little lower on a engine set up for boost. As well as different cam profiles that better complement the boost. And of course ignition timing has a large affect on power and detonation with or without boost.

I know this is all 4 stroke turbo stuff, but I would bet it can be applied to a 2 stroke turbo. I wonder what else Skidoo changed on the 850 Etec when they added the turbo? Porting, timing, compression, combustion chamber and pipe could probably have big effects. I bet doo will be adding power in the future, just like they have on ATVs and SxSs. We see this all the time with marketing.

On EDIT: I was just doing some reading on the Boondocker and Silber websites and on forums. It sounds like you can expect pretty close to 200hp on 91 octain at 6ish psi with either the 850 Etec or the Patriot 850. I haven't seen a lot of specific #s on hp vs elevation and boost. Both kits are adjuable from 3-10 psi. Another thing I just realized is that with this factory turbo 850 is that clutching should be better because the power doesn't change as much with elevation right?

By the way adding a pipe and a tuner is about as easy as it gets. Pull a couple springs and plug in the connector
Well according to the Silber manual for their kit @ 0-3000ft @ 3PSI the fuel mix is 70% pump gas and 30% race gas. And from there its just more race gas unless you go up in elevation.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

I stand corrected sorry about that. I think boondocker has a setup that works on 91.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
Doo is the first production factory turbo petrol 2 stroke IN THE WORLD. That pretty cool for bragging right. I think the Cat T660 was the first turbo sled though. That was just a Suzuki Carry mini truck (look it up ) engine shoehorned into a sled. You can tell it's a truck motor too, its heavy.

It's great news for the mountain segment. Eventually it will be very useful. But for now it's kinda a waste ,165 hp? The old m1000 could do that. Maybe even at 6000ft with a pipe and tune.

I think I'd rather have the turbo over the ETEC to be honest. ETEC is way to over complicated for the "gains" it provides. As a mountain rider I could not care less about fuel and oil economy.
Too bad you can't keep a crank or pistons in a M1000. What skidoo is doing with this engine is above what most people can comprehend. The whole idea is pump gas goes in, sled gets started, and you have the same linear power across THE ENTIRE POWER BAND at any altitude. Consistency is the key to the design and the idea behind this sled and engine package.

Comparing a M1000 to this new sled is like comparing sardines to oranges.

I've noticed guys that picking this thing apart are the same guys proud to wear leather riding gear, and make statements like "my triple will eat this up"

dskofich likes this.
gdub41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: Iron Horse, Manitowash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew 00 View Post
Yea... no pilots in the group i guess.... this is how airplane turbos work... they compensate for the loss of density by maintaining manifold pressure to sea level. I think its a great idea as it doesnt cause any additional stress to the engine, and will completely out perform a non turbo at altitude. I'm no mountain rider, but I am a pilot... and I wish my plane had this type of "normalized" turbo... alas.. maybe the next one.
Pilot here; SEL-VFR but I almost stole your thunder it would be "Turbo-Normalized" if that's what they did. Now the punk sledheads (not me) will probably think that "Turbo-ed" means it's boosted, you stick-n-rudder guys know that's not the case
dskofich likes this.
Szledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement