Request for Thoughts and Prayers for an injured snowmobiler - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2020, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '11 Apex SE, '99 800 XCR
Previous Sled(s): 88 Yamaha Exciter 570
Favorite Riding Area: MN Arrowhead region, MI U.P.
Default Request for Thoughts and Prayers for an injured snowmobiler

A very good friend of mine, Bob Barrone, who is also my usual riding partner and happens to be my next-door neighbor was in a bad snowmobile accident. I happened about a week and a half ago on December 27th during his first trip to the UP of the season. He somehow landed very hard hitting his chest on the riser, breaking ribs, puncturing a lung and rupturing his spleen. He was conscious and talking immediately after the crash.

He was airlifted to a trauma center in Wausau, WI. where he had emergency surgery to remove his spleen. He also suffered 7 broken ribs and a punctured/collapsed lung(s). He has now been flown to Mayo Medical Center in Rochester MN (near his home) where he is still heavily sedated and has had another surgery to plate his broken ribs. As of yesterday he was still on a ventilator with hopes of removing that soon.

No one is quite sure how it happened as he was last in a group of three. It was wide open ditch trail - for those of you that know the area, it was on trail 12 heading toward Ontonagon just a couple miles from Pat's Yamaha. In fact they had just left there. The conditions were good and the group was not traveling particularly fast, about 45-50 mph. Bob is a very skilled and experienced rider (I believe he has been riding for about 50 years). No other vehicles were involved, and due to the sedation and intubation no one has been able to question him as to what led to the crash, so it is still a mystery.

Your thoughts and Prayers are needed. Bob is self employed and will probably not be able to work for a long long time - it's going to be a long slow recovery for him. If anyone wants to offer a donation to a fellow snowmobiler in need of help, his family has set up a gofundme page here:https://www.gofundme.com/f/bob-barro...cp+share-sheet

We have all done some crazy stuff at one time or another, but remember - bad things can happen to us even when we are doing everything right!
Please be careful out there!

I thank you on behalf of the Barrone family
Bontz, colifis, 715sledUP and 5 others like this.

Last edited by firemandan; 01-07-2020 at 06:37 PM.
firemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 04:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2000 XCR 800 1999 xcr 700
Previous Sled(s): rampage,Phazer,Indy600,Storm,XLT
Favorite Riding Area: Central WI.
Riding Since: 1974

Sorry to hear about your bud...that sucks. Hope he heals quick. Stuff can happen quick .
Belair62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

19-20 Mileage: 54321
18-19 Mileage: 12345
17-18 Mileage: 54321
16-17 Mileage: 12345

Sorry to hear about your friend..... Name:  praying-to-god-smiley-emoticon.gif
Views: 275
Size:  4.3 KB
Jerry 976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2004 XC500SP, 2002 Polaris Classic 600
Previous Sled(s): 1990 Indy Trail, 1976 ColtSS, 1970 Charger 398
Favorite Riding Area: Bowstring, Bigfork, Marcell
Riding Since: 1973

You got it. I'm sorry to hear about that.

I'm in Rochester as I type this, maybe a mile as the crow flies from St. Mary's Hospital.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '14 XRS 797 ETEC
Previous Sled(s): '13 T'NT 594
Favorite Riding Area: NY
19-20 Mileage: 1
18-19 Mileage: 1,261
17-18 Mileage: 1,775
16-17 Mileage: 1,645
Riding Since: '73
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemandan View Post
He somehow landed very hard hitting his chest on the riser, breaking ribs, puncturing a lung and rupturing his spleen.
I just said a prayer for you friend Bob. I lost a friend to a ruptured spleen while snowmobiling, and a friend of a friend to a punctured lung also while snowmobiling. So your friend Bob is fortunate to even be alive.

Unfortunately, based on the severity of his injuries, it sounds like Bob was not wearing a TekVest or something equivalent, which probably would have lessened his injuries.

A couple of years ago I was on a smooth, groomed trail which crossed a field, and I too was probably doing 45-50 MPH. Well there was a gradual drainage ditch perpendicular to the trail that I could not see (a hazy day and white on white) and it launched me and my sled about good 50+ feet. I don't know how, but I somehow saved it. My point is that we never know what is down every trail, around the next bend, or over that next blind hill. In addition to dressing for the ride, we all need to dress for the crash.
Bontz, jdw1, Lexuslover and 1 others like this.
Trail Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 MXZ 850
Favorite Riding Area: Tug Hill,WNY,PA Canyon
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1200
Riding Since: 1972

Prayers to Bob. Lost my brother in law and riding buddy of 25 years last year from similar injuries from hitting a deer on his motorcycle. Punctured lung, spleen and broken ribs. Same thing as your friend, he was talking, walking and good for 10 days then complications from the spleen injury sent him into cardiac arrest which he did not survive.

Last edited by tbone; 01-08-2020 at 12:25 PM.
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 8000 high country, SnoPro 500, zr900
Previous Sled(s): many cats
Favorite Riding Area: Northern MN

Hope he makes a full recovery.
mnstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Site Moderator - Chris

Current Sled(s): 2019 Indy XC 850
Previous Sled(s): '16 SB Pro-X; '15 Rush Pro-S; '12 SB Pro-R; '09 Dragon -Cats
Favorite Riding Area: Lake Namakagon/Cable, WI
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1352
17-18 Mileage: 2032
16-17 Mileage: 825
Riding Since: 1975

I'm local to you guys in SE Minnesota ... lots of family and friends who work at Mayo. So this hits close to home, and I hope Bob makes a full, speedy recovery. And I hope when he does recover, he gets right back on that horse and continues to ride.
Bontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '11 Apex SE, '99 800 XCR
Previous Sled(s): 88 Yamaha Exciter 570
Favorite Riding Area: MN Arrowhead region, MI U.P.

Thank you all for the kind words, thoughts, and prayers.

This is the information I received yesterday on his condition:
Bob had a temporary trach placed today to help his lung heal. He is not quite able to breathe on his own yet but he needed to get the breathing tube out. The procedure went very well. He is starting to wake up more. He will probably have to have the trach for at least a week, it all depends on Bob. This is the first step to having him awake! Hopefully from here he can continue strengthening his lung. Baby steps!

...and today I hear he is slowly coming off the sedation and is able to responding to yes or no questions. Nothing else on the most recent CT's, but he was scheduled for more tests sometime today.

No, he was not wearing a TekVest. It is ironic, but from what I understand the group may have been actually looking at them and discussing the pros and cons at the dealership prior to the crash. I believe everyone in our group will now be getting one.
Bontz, Trail Ryder, jdw1 and 2 others like this.
firemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '16 ZR6 El Tigre, '90 Jag 340
Previous Sled(s): '02 ZL 600, '91 Indy 500
Favorite Riding Area: Wherever I am.
19-20 Mileage: 250
18-19 Mileage: 2005
17-18 Mileage: 1100
16-17 Mileage: 300
Riding Since: 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemandan View Post
Thank you all for the kind words, thoughts, and prayers.

This is the information I received yesterday on his condition:
Bob had a temporary trach placed today to help his lung heal. He is not quite able to breathe on his own yet but he needed to get the breathing tube out. The procedure went very well. He is starting to wake up more. He will probably have to have the trach for at least a week, it all depends on Bob. This is the first step to having him awake! Hopefully from here he can continue strengthening his lung. Baby steps!

...and today I hear he is slowly coming off the sedation and is able to responding to yes or no questions. Nothing else on the most recent CT's, but he was scheduled for more tests sometime today.

No, he was not wearing a TekVest. It is ironic, but from what I understand the group may have been actually looking at them and discussing the pros and cons at the dealership prior to the crash. I believe everyone in our group will now be getting one.
Hope your friend heals well

There arent any cons to wearing a vest, mine has saved me from similar injury a couple times.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Let it Snow!; 01-08-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Let it Snow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement