Fogging eyeglasses... - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2019, 12:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): ZRT / 2016 Polaris SB with PIDD / BRP BV2S
Previous Sled(s): Skidoo
Favorite Riding Area: Hornepayne
19-20 Mileage: 1300 Miles
18-19 Mileage: 0 miles
17-18 Mileage: 1700 miles
16-17 Mileage: 700 miles
Riding Since: 70 s
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorney View Post
I have tried everything short of a BVS2 helmet. I have worn glasses forever. I can't wear contacts. No Fog mask is the ticket along with a heated shield. You have to get your breath out from the helmet. I keep my helmet shield cracked open. I use a modular, and at every stop I open the whole face. If I have time, I put my glasses inside my jacket pocket. Also keep the helmet vents open. All humidity must be out of the helmet.
Nothing works... dish soap—no... sprays to treat lenses—no... home remedies that grandma swore by—nope... open face helmet with goggles and a decent (real) balaclava— no (funny how on those really cold minus 30 nights and even colder wind chill temps, your face starts to sting from the cold somehow finding it’s way in. That’s okay...kids that do that are tough...and the impending frostbite �� is something they ignore in front of their sledding buddies. lol �� I’ve seen it!).

Listen, as a seasoned sledder who tried every trick in the book and then some...NOTHING WORKS! So, do the only right next step...reach into your pocket and pull out every spare penny you can find, then just go and buy the BRP BV2S helmet. It’s designed differently than any other helmet or style out there and will actually do what you need it to. It works! I have owned one for years and will never need to improve on this helmet. You will finally be able to see where you’re going with absolutely no fogged up lenses. Does not matter how cold it is....does not matter if you are stopped at a road crossing and waiting to cross, does not matter if you are sledding fast or slow...doesn’t matter if you’re an aggressive sledder and sweat a lot...no need to “crack the visor” to vent that breath! No more wiping the lenses of your glasses, no more heating the glasses in an inner pocket for a moment while your buddies ahead of you pull farther and farther away. ... and then give you s*#t when you catch up to them. “dude...what the hell is taking you so long....wtf,”

Yes, the helmet is expensive ... and worth every penny! The helmet is designed to keep the exhausted breath away from a separate, divided chamber that your face (and glasses), are in. Breathe in fresh air and breathe out stale air...and the two never mix, like they tend to in conventional helmets etc. The separation is key and exactly why they, and only they, work properly. Forget about snot catchers, breath deflectors and all those other gimmicks that are available and claim to keep your glasses and lenses from fogging up. Pffhhh...You know yourself, they simply don’t work! If any of them did, would you even be asking the question in the first place? Stop the nonsense...just go buy the right helmet and be done with it for good!

Last edited by Goggles Paesano; 12-25-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Goggles Paesano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2019, 01:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2004 XC500SP, 2002 Polaris Classic 600
Previous Sled(s): 1990 Indy Trail, 1976 ColtSS, 1970 Charger 398
Favorite Riding Area: Bowstring, Bigfork, Marcell
Riding Since: 1973

I've worn glasses about as long as I've been snowmobiling. In the old days, never had a problem with fogging, because we all wore open-face helmets (if any helmet at all). Have worn full-face helmets since 1990 and the first one was pretty bad - constant fogging unless I cracked open the shield and left it there.

A couple of years ago, I bought a Polaris modular helmet that has a very good breath shield. It has a heated shield, also. Normally don't have a problem with fogging now.

Weekend before last, out snowmobiling and was struggling with fogging. Turned out to be my breath deflector was not adjusted to my face. After tightening up the nose arch, fogging went away completely and has not returned.

Short story long, I've had issues with fogging in the past, but my latest modular helmet with a good breath deflector (adjusted properly) and heated shield does extremely well and I don't need anything else. I always leave the front vent open so that my breath exhausts out of the helmet and does't push back up through the breath deflector.

Maybe the fancy pants BRP helmet would be better, but the real trick was getting the breath deflector firmly pressed against my face.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 Polaris Indy 600
Previous Sled(s): Cat, Pol, Doo, Yam, Sno-Jet, Chaparral
Favorite Riding Area: Hale Area

Those BV2S helmets are kinda goofy looking, what about the ski-doo modular 3 helmet? It it has a rubber mask that vents to the outside also...
Cheallaigh likes this.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 MXZX 850
Favorite Riding Area: Pittsburg NH, Quebec Canada
Riding Since: 1972

After losing a new sled, not because I could not find it, I now wear contacts. If you think that you cannot tolerate contacts, it does take some time to get used to them. Had lasik done twice and still need glasses or contacts.
curta3531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p51mstg View Post
I've worn glasses about as long as I've been snowmobiling. In the old days, never had a problem with fogging, because we all wore open-face helmets (if any helmet at all). Have worn full-face helmets since 1990 and the first one was pretty bad - constant fogging unless I cracked open the shield and left it there.

A couple of years ago, I bought a Polaris modular helmet that has a very good breath shield. It has a heated shield, also. Normally don't have a problem with fogging noW

Weekend before last, out snowmobiling and was struggling with fogging. Turned out to be my breath deflector was not adjusted to my face. After tightening up the nose arch, fogging went away completely and has not returned.

Short story long, I've had issues with fogging in the past, but my latest modular helmet with a good breath deflector (adjusted properly) and heated shield does extremely well and I don't need anything else. I always leave the front vent open so that my breath exhausts out of the helmet and does't push back up through the breath deflector.

Maybe the fancy pants BRP helmet would be better, but the real trick was getting the breath deflector firmly pressed against my face.
Yes, the fancy pants BRP helmet would be better, and it is better. No need to crack the visor. Quieter more comfortable experience.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by curta3531 View Post
After losing a new sled, not because I could not find it, I now wear contacts. If you think that you cannot tolerate contacts, it does take some time to get used to them. Had lasik done twice and still need glasses or contacts.

So...you lost a sled, not because you could not find it? What do you mean...

LASIK twice and still not 20/20 vision, huh? I would be PISSED, if that happened to me. Especially since the lasik done twice costs enough to have bought the BRP helmet many times over. Perfect vision with your glasses and no fogging what-so-everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Dang!
Old 12-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Those BV2S helmets are kinda goofy looking, what about the ski-doo modular 3 helmet? It it has a rubber mask that vents to the outside also...
Well thatís one opinion, but I donít believe itís a shared one. There are lots and lots of the BRP 2ís out there...Kinda cool looking with the vent in front. Non the less, your suggestion would probably work to keep the stale air away. What do they go for $$$...
Old 12-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 900 ACE Blizzard
Previous Sled(s): mostly Ski-Doo's
Favorite Riding Area: The County, NEK VT
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 2200
Riding Since: 2004

The difference with the BV2S versus the Doo Modular 3 helmet is that the mask/mouthpiece is very adjustable and more comfortable on the BV2S. I found that the modular mask pushed too hard on the bridge of my nose and it wasn't comfortable for a long day of riding. You would have to try one on for a while and see if it is comfortable for you.
I pretty much gave up on trying to wear glasses when riding. I use disposable contacts which really eliminate all the fuss with the glasses. It's the only time I wear contacts. But now I have to bring reading glasses to look at my phone or gps or menus.
Fun11cat and Goggles Paesano like this.
yabbadabbadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
DVW
Advanced Member

I have observed that electric shields work well until they fail. One more thing to fiddle with. The key to simple success is getting moist air away from the face area. Most helmets rely on cold air ventilation and some sort of moisture barrier. Years ago in desperation I tried putting a summer time swimming snorkel in my mouth. It worked well but looked ridiculous. I noticed that when the helmet warmed up I could spit the mouthpiece out. I then bought one of the first modular helmets made for motorcycles (Nolan) and added a 3M respirator mask. The rubber mask was fitted into the portion of the helmet that drops down on to my face. The mask had a good tight fit on my face and it worked better than the similar Ski Doo product that would follow. When that helmet wore out I replaced it with the BVS2 because it has a big knob on the front of the helmet that can be turned to pull the mask away from the face. I like that but miss my old modular helmet because good motorcycle helmets are quieter and they have better optics.
DVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
DVW
Advanced Member

I wear glasses and the BVS2 helmet never creates fogging problems even when I use it to snow blow my driveway!
DVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement