Loudest Exhaust for the 850 - Page 12 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Like Tree298Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #111 (permalink)
Site Moderator - Chris

Current Sled(s): 2019 Indy XC 850
Previous Sled(s): '16 SB Pro-X; '15 Rush Pro-S; '12 SB Pro-R; '09 Dragon -Cats
Favorite Riding Area: Lake Namakagon/Cable, WI
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1352
17-18 Mileage: 2032
16-17 Mileage: 825
Riding Since: 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie406 View Post
The Op won't be back to respond anyhow, it was a trolling post, to get views for his youtube channel, that's all it is. Look at his 12 post history, 9 of them are links to his videos. He probably hasn't even been back to read any of this, and is still clueless how big of an idiot he is. Got to give him credit though, 20sh? Bought a new Rmk Pro 850 and this year a used Assault 800.
Great point Frankie ... I just edited it to remove the link to his channel.
Bontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 03:38 PM   #112 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 03 ProX 700 136"
Favorite Riding Area: North Shore or Burnett County

I didn't read all this but I have two things to add to this soon to be 50 page post.

1. MORON

2. I rode in the mountains last year for the first time. I was in three different locations and there are all sorts of people in the towns and on the access trails. "Save it for the mountains" is likely pissing people off as well. Just less of them to piss off in those areas.
Cheallaigh likes this.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:03 PM   #113 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2008 700 Switchback
Favorite Riding Area: If there is snow, I go
Riding Since: 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by too slow View Post
Problem with that, you can't rely every time right or wrong these sound tests are 100% accurate. Imo, the quebec exhaust law for sleds solves the problem....either your legal or not, just don't bitch if you get caught running a can.
This is America I am talking about. We still have some freedoms here.
BobRoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:09 PM   #114 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15tigger View Post
OK, the Wisconsin law reads that it is illegal to modify the exhaust to be any louder than factory noise level. My mistake. I believe some places do have laws stating factory exhaust only.
I meant vehicle and motorcycles do not have a complete ban of aftermarket exhaust systems.

Yes, I belive you are correct about Wisconsin law and some other states have the factory exhaust law. Canada too.

It is the factory exhaust law I have issues with. If some company came out with a quiter than OEM and lighter and/or lower cost than OEM exhaust. Someplaces will ticket you, just because it is not OEM. That is my issue. How pissed off would you be if you got a ticket for having quiter than stock exhaust? That is asinine.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #115 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 Sno Pro 500 & 2010 Sno Pro 500???
Previous Sled(s): ZR580EFI, SRV, Safari 377, Citation SS & Bogie Wheeled Sleds
Favorite Riding Area: twisty windy wooded bliss
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1600ish
17-18 Mileage: 1501.5
16-17 Mileage: -18
Riding Since: 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I have yet to see them out on a trail.
See them all the time, wearing tuxedos and killing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxdox View Post
So if somebody doesn't like guns because a "Small percentage" of bad people have killed with guns they should be blanket banned too? Completely off topic and a much more serious issue than a loud can on a snowmobile. Legislation is passed for laws against the can which hasn't killed anybody and never will. Well, maybe in an avalanche?
finally, someone brought up a gun comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRoss View Post
There isn't laws that make only factory exhaust on a vehicle or motorcycle legal. If it sounds loud, do a sound test and if it fails its illegal. Factory parts only is overreaching.
yeah, in Canada. in the US (to my knowledge) you can put on anything as long as it is compliant to noise laws.
Aftermarket Exhausts - Legal? | American Snowmobiler Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15tigger View Post
OK, the Wisconsin law reads that it is illegal to modify the exhaust to be any louder than factory noise level. My mistake. I believe some places do have laws stating factory exhaust only.
see above /\

Quote:
enjoy!
BobRoss and Cheallaigh like this.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #116 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Assault
Favorite Riding Area: Closest place with snow

Quote:
There isn't laws that make only factory exhaust on a vehicle or motorcycle legal. If it sounds loud, do a sound test and if it fails its illegal. Factory parts only is overreaching.
Sound test within the accuracy required by the law would be expensive and require you bring your sled some place to test. There is zero validity in any mobile DNR test.
too slow and BobRoss like this.
Deephaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #117 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deephaven View Post
Sound test within the accuracy required by the law would be expensive and require you bring your sled some place to test. There is zero validity in any mobile DNR test.
Probably true, but it doesn't give the government right to force you to buy OEM.

Get a trailer, build it to the "correct" acoustics in the interior. Bring the sled in. Run the test, pull it out. That way, the test should be the same everywhere. You can even make the trailer as a two-fer and make it usable as a hauling trailer for the DNR.

It is mobile, it is consistent and it hauls the DNR machines.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #118 (permalink)
HCS Ladies!

Current Sled(s): Mine 2016 Polaris ProS Rush 600/His 18 SBA800
Previous Sled(s): 97 Skidoo 380 Touring E, 96 Polaris XLT Touring 2up
Favorite Riding Area: Georgian Bay
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not enough
Riding Since: 2016

Quote:
which are being eroded by selfish idiots making some mad enough to do something about them being selfish idiots. we have a lot of the same laws here, which are now getting enforced, which were pretty much ignored for years. your laws are either finally getting enforced or new ones being made to deal with them.

i come from those bc mountains, they keep making louder and louder cans, they're going to start having the same shit about noise there. one reason will be safety, and the other will be noise around the few towns that are by the places where these guys go. BC loves tourism, but is very protective of it's forests and wildlife, as well as idiots who go where they shouldn't in winter. there were a couple of rescues last year that thankfully ended well, but the rockies are not safe or well travelled in any season with a lot of places to never be found again.

there is nothing wrong with wanting to improve your sled, just making it louder cause that's all you care about? that's just stupid.
too slow and MisterWister like this.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:50 PM   #119 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 20 Renegade 600R
Previous Sled(s): 16 renegade 600 Etec, 12 renegade 600 Etec, 07 renegade 600
Favorite Riding Area: ontario
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1510
17-18 Mileage: 2740
16-17 Mileage: 2520
Riding Since: 1977

Quote:
I meant vehicle and motorcycles do not have a complete ban of aftermarket exhaust systems.

Yes, I belive you are correct about Wisconsin law and some other states have the factory exhaust law. Canada too.

It is the factory exhaust law I have issues with. If some company came out with a quiter than OEM and lighter and/or lower cost than OEM exhaust. Someplaces will ticket you, just because it is not OEM. That is my issue. How pissed off would you be if you got a ticket for having quiter than stock exhaust? That is asinine.
In NY they do, I was pulled over 2 yrs ago for loud exhaust, I wasnt getting on it and I was actually trying to be quiet because I was in a residential area. I asked the cop why they didnt have to use a decibel meter and his response was that "in NY anything other than factory exhaust is illegal even if its quieter than factory" and that " the police chief has a hard on for loud bikes". so I got the ticket, went to court, spoke to the DA, and asked him about the decibel meter, he said "yeah you would think thats how it should be" and dismissed the ticket.
billp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:55 PM   #120 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 Polaris SBA 800
Previous Sled(s): 2004 Polaris XCSP 700, 2004 Arctic Cat ZR 900, 1998 Arctic C
Favorite Riding Area: On the snow preferably
17-18 Mileage: 250
Riding Since: 2000

This is Maineís law, itís bullshit nothing but revenue. They do it because they know that people from away wonít fight it theyíll just pay it and be done. Rarely does anyone one fight these summonses, and Maine donít enforce the decibel thing donít even test the level, if it donít sound stock theyíre writing you up regardless. However Iíll be damned if something happens to my suitcase muffler I sure as hell ainít paying $620 to replace it with an OEM one. Itís against federal law for states to pass laws preventing us from running aftermarket products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BobRoss likes this.
MisterWister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement