Best sled for $1,000? - Page 9 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #81 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Assault
Favorite Riding Area: Closest place with snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by too slow View Post
I couldn't say the rev is miles ahead of the prox or edge....
Goes to show the value of your posts. Garbage fodder. You are the Crazy Joe of the Poo Edge. Just replace edge with f7 and we would never tell the two of you apart.
Deephaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #82 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
18-19 Mileage not much
15-16 Mileage: Zero
Riding Since: 70 s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deephaven View Post
Goes to show the value of your posts. Garbage fodder. You are the Crazy Joe of the Poo Edge. Just replace edge with f7 and we would never tell the two of you apart.
Just because you don't like the edge if found for under $1k doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't. Let the op make that decision.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:42 PM   #83 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 00 XCR 800, 04 XC 800
Favorite Riding Area: Katahdin region
Riding Since: 1988

There seems to be a lot of hate for the edge here......good thing no one suggested a gen II.

Not every one can or wants to ride a brand new sled.

For 1,000$ an edge is a great ride. As is a rev or anything else that takes you where you want to go and brings you home. Personally I've got an edge that I've put over 5k on, and I paid 2 grand for it and the only non routine maintenance money spent on it has been exhaust valves. You can't beat that dollar per mile investment.

Id buy another in a heartbeat if it was the same deal I got on the one I own now.
too slow, ZR 800 efi and p51mstg like this.
fourh-ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:06 PM   #84 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Assault
Favorite Riding Area: Closest place with snow

If you guys really think a GenII or an Edge is in the same ballpark as a Rev you are nuts. I get the guys budget, I am just not brand loyal to an idiotic fault.

Buy the 600 Rev, ride it when the girlfriend comes and put her on your sled. The world will work out nicely.
Deephaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:53 AM   #85 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2000 mxz 600
Previous Sled(s): 1986 poo indy 400 -1999 z370 cat -94 440 super sport poo -
Riding Since: 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deephaven View Post
If you guys really think a GenII or an Edge is in the same ballpark as a Rev you are nuts. I get the guys budget, I am just not brand loyal to an idiotic fault.

Buy the 600 Rev, ride it when the girlfriend comes and put her on your sled. The world will work out nicely.
X2 people are nuts if they the edge can even match the rev in handeling especially if you throw the rev mxz x into the mix. Yes ill agree the poo has more power than the doo thats all it gots. Been on both an both are good machines. If the edge handles so good then it would of been all over the place an the rev would of been a hyple train.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cat eater
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fast DoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:34 AM   #86 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 00 XCR 800, 04 XC 800
Favorite Riding Area: Katahdin region
Riding Since: 1988

Just to clarify, I said nothing of its ride or handling. I was only responding to the budget constraints for a dependable machine.
I'm well aware that any modern sled will ride better than those trailing arm dinosaurs.
Al Czervik likes this.
fourh-ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #87 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2005 polaris 700 xc sp f/o &1980 polaris tx-l
Previous Sled(s): 2002 polaris 500 xc sp - 1986 indy 400 - 1976 polaris tx 340
Favorite Riding Area: Northern wisconsin & Minnesota
18-19 Mileage 826
17-18 Mileage: Maybe 3
16-17 Mileage: 330
15-16 Mileage: Maybe 30
Riding Since: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourh-ds View Post
There seems to be a lot of hate for the edge here......good thing no one suggested a gen II.

Not every one can or wants to ride a brand new sled.

For 1,000$ an edge is a great ride. As is a rev or anything else that takes you where you want to go and brings you home. Personally I've got an edge that I've put over 5k on, and I paid 2 grand for it and the only non routine maintenance money spent on it has been exhaust valves. You can't beat that dollar per mile investment.

Id buy another in a heartbeat if it was the same deal I got on the one I own now.
I don't think its hate.... i think its something else.
I believe hate is a super strong word to describe an edge. If ride forward was never invented, you would STILL see tons and tons of edge sleds on the trails. They are in no doubt on the very top of the best sleds ever built in the history of snowmachines period. You cant hate on that. So again its something other than hate.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:08 PM   #88 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

18-19 Mileage not much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast DoO View Post
X2 people are nuts if they the edge can even match the rev in handeling especially if you throw the rev mxz x into the mix. Yes ill agree the poo has more power than the doo thats all it gots. Been on both an both are good machines. If the edge handles so good then it would of been all over the place an the rev would of been a hyple train.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Really depends on those older rev's, they are very nervous as far as the handling. The gen2 is far better in the handling dept. I've ridden both. Problem i have with the gen2 is the ride quality...its garbage compared to the rev or edge. All the edges i've ridden are better than those early rev's when properly setup. Biggest issue when i rode those early revs, my knees were constantly rubbing into the cowl, plus the twitchy steering. It drove me crazy. The edge is far more stable.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #89 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 Rush Pro R 800 retro 2001 XCSP 700
18-19 Mileage 1400
17-18 Mileage: 1200
16-17 Mileage: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by too slow View Post
Really depends on those older rev's, they are very nervous as far as the handling. The gen2 is far better in the handling dept. I've ridden both. Problem i have with the gen2 is the ride quality...its garbage compared to the rev or edge. All the edges i've ridden are better than those early rev's when properly setup. Biggest issue when i rode those early revs, my knees were constantly rubbing into the cowl, plus the twitchy steering. It drove me crazy. The edge is far more stable.
That twitchy steering, could be a calibration, ski/carbide thing. My Curve XS skis I thought were garbage beginning of last season, they were on it when I got the sled, Turns out the owner installed the skis with the rubber dampeners on backwards, which tipped the ski seriously up, which, then only the front half of the carbide was doing anything, super darty, and very sketchy in the corners. I had a few white knuckle moments on my first real ride with the thing. A new ski mount kit for the Curve Xs skis, some fresh 6 inch studboys, the dampners installed properly with the whole carbide functioning, wow, what a difference.
Frankie406 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:27 PM   #90 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

18-19 Mileage not much

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340 TX-L View Post
I don't think its hate.... i think its something else.
I believe hate is a super strong word to describe an edge. If ride forward was never invented, you would STILL see tons and tons of edge sleds on the trails. They are in no doubt on the very top of the best sleds ever built in the history of snowmachines period. You cant hate on that. So again its something other than hate.
I think when it comes to sled suspensions in those days having them properly setup, most guys left them in the factory settings, or did the bare minimum, and a lot else was misunderstood. Probably a big reason for owners disliking their sleds. I don't know if its quite the same today, sleds have more advanced shocks, and suspensions that they can be adjusted instead of sending the shocks out, and hope whoever does them knows what you want. Some of these guys that do shocks today with the technology learned can make these older sleds perform much better than what the factory sent them out as. Imo, if you ride under 1k miles a season, this is a lot cheaper than having to buy the latest greatest sled just to impress your buddies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement