Arctic cat closing vast majority of dealers - Page 13 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Like Tree99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #121 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2020 ZR 8000 RR 137
Previous Sled(s): 2018 ZR 8000 RR 137 2014 ZR 6000 RR 129
Favorite Riding Area: Northern MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain View Post
Did they drop it or did Ski Doo take it away? Reason I say that is Country Cat was and always will be a HUGE AC dealer. I know of several dealerships that sold enormous numbers of AC's and had either Polaris or Ski Doo and sold much smaller volume of those models and both Ski Doo and Polaris yanked them.

One was a close family friend who sold AC and Polaris for decades. He sold hundreds (back in the day) of new AC sleds and probably dozens of Polaris sleds. They accused him of not trying to push the product. Pulled it away and had a new dealer 4 miles away that still didnt sell them...
It was Country Cat's decision.
They sold the Ski Doo dealership to a group of investors that opened it in the same town
"I didn't want to break my drive chain"
"It's the best sled I ever had" 15 miles later "The chain case blew up"
"I can't go over 60mph, my EGT's get too hot"
"Sold"
oldcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2019, 06:44 PM   #122 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Assault
Favorite Riding Area: Closest place with snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcrow View Post
It was Country Cat's decision.
They sold the Ski Doo dealership to a group of investors that opened it in the same town
Selling isn't what I would call dropping.
dskofich likes this.
Deephaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:18 PM   #123 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Pol IQR 600; '03 ProX 6; '07 XC5; 01 Indy 5
Previous Sled(s): '98 XC 6; '95 XLT; '76 Doo RV
Favorite Riding Area: Area 51 (Western Maine)
Riding Since: 1978

Since 2000, Cat snowmobile sales have dropped from 20% of the market down to only 15%. Polaris has stayed in the 33%+/- range, and Doo has steadily moved up and is now in the high 40s (or maybe even higher). I'd imagine that whoever bought the Ski-Doo rights from Cat Country is pretty happy with that decision.

With that being said, I have a serious question: With all this talk of Cat selling hundreds of sleds at dealerships that had a hard time time selling Polarises and Ski Doos at the same time, when was the last time Cat led the market in sales or was at least competitive? I recall Yamaha leading for a while . . . and Polaris leading for a long time in the '90s and early 2000s . . . and Ski-Doo leading ever since then. When was Cat selling "enormous" numbers of sleds compared to the other brands?

Please avoid the "Ferrari vs. Camry" or "filet mignon vs. MacDonalds" stuff. Similar-class sleds from Cat, Doo, and Poo cost about the same, so consumers pick according to what they want. If a Ferrari and a Camry cost the same (like sleds do), they would be a hell of a lot more Ferraris on the road.
caddisfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #124 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
18-19 Mileage not much
15-16 Mileage: Zero
Riding Since: 70 s

Just wait till those ferrari's need their maintenance.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:21 PM   #125 (permalink)
rja
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarrick View Post
ALL dealers have dropped like flies.
I used to have A/C and Ski-Doo within a stones throw and all 4 within 25 minutes of me. Now all 4 are at least 45 minutes away.
not here. only cat dealers are dropping like fly's. the very same ski-doo and Polaris dealers are all still here. one doo dealer been around since 1960. still going strong.[/QUOTE]

Well WAY down here an hour south of you it is a different story......
rja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:03 PM   #126 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Riding Since: 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisfly View Post
Since 2000, Cat snowmobile sales have dropped from 20% of the market down to only 15%. Polaris has stayed in the 33%+/- range, and Doo has steadily moved up and is now in the high 40s (or maybe even higher). I'd imagine that whoever bought the Ski-Doo rights from Cat Country is pretty happy with that decision.

With that being said, I have a serious question: With all this talk of Cat selling hundreds of sleds at dealerships that had a hard time time selling Polarises and Ski Doos at the same time, when was the last time Cat led the market in sales or was at least competitive? I recall Yamaha leading for a while . . . and Polaris leading for a long time in the '90s and early 2000s . . . and Ski-Doo leading ever since then. When was Cat selling "enormous" numbers of sleds compared to the other brands?

Please avoid the "Ferrari vs. Camry" or "filet mignon vs. MacDonalds" stuff. Similar-class sleds from Cat, Doo, and Poo cost about the same, so consumers pick according to what they want. If a Ferrari and a Camry cost the same (like sleds do), they would be a hell of a lot more Ferraris on the road.
In the 70's
nacapster likes this.
dskofich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:25 PM   #127 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 Assault
Favorite Riding Area: Closest place with snow

Sleds wer great in the 70s lol
Deephaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:30 AM   #128 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 Expedition Sport 900
Previous Sled(s): 1992 MXXTCR, 74 TNT 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisfly View Post

Pretty hard for a family of 4 to dd a Ferrari!
awful knawful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #129 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2017 SB Pro S LE Lime Squeeze
Previous Sled(s): 09 600 IQ Shift- backup, 03 340 Indy
Favorite Riding Area: Western UP & Boulder Jctn, WI
18-19 Mileage 950
16-17 Mileage: 650
15-16 Mileage: 700 :(
Riding Since: 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by awful knawful View Post
Pretty hard for a family of 4 to dd a Ferrari!

Not really, seating 4 pretty comfortably since 2011
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aka Mr. Piss
ry3an7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #130 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2018 600R XC
Previous Sled(s): 2015 900X
Favorite Riding Area: Vermont & Maine

In the late 90's into early 2000's Cat was ahead of Ski Doo in sales. The 2003 into 2004 introduction of the Rev started a monumental shift in sled sales.
bedlam bikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement