Loosing another dealer - Page 7 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #61 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 F1100T EL Tigré
Previous Sled(s): 2012 F 1100T SP Outpatient Orange!
Favorite Riding Area: Fox River, N Wis., U.P.
18-19 Mileage 3600
15-16 Mileage: 3200
Riding Since: 1966

Polaris Dealer in Northern Illinois not taking snow checks this year, still sitting on 12 new 2019's and Polaris wants to jam them with a higher minimum for 2020. So they all do it. What are these dealers to do? We had maybe two weeks of snow, I haven't ridden hear in 7-8 years.
Fused is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 02:58 AM   #62 (permalink)

18-19 Mileage Not enough
15-16 Mileage: Not enough
Riding Since: 2000

First, as a consumer, we need to stop hopping on the "new sled every year" because it's a "new model" bandwagon.
ICE_Lapplander likes this.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #63 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 ZR 8000 LTD iACT 137
Previous Sled(s): 14 XF 8000, and many other cats
Favorite Riding Area: Anywhere there is snow.
18-19 Mileage 1700
17-18 Mileage: Never enough
16-17 Mileage: 1200
15-16 Mileage: 1000

Can someone please explain this to me? I don't understand why dealers are dropping Cat. With this new idea of ordering only I would think more dealers would take on Cat or stay. I like the idea of ordering only. Dealers have had to deal with sled manufactures shoving sleds down their throats for years. We all know the problems this causes when they don't sell. The only downfall to this ordering only is if the consumer wants or needs a new sled during the season. I know this can happen based on snowfall. I'm sure there can be a solution to this. Maybe dealers can stock just a few sleds for this.

Would it not be better that dealers don't have to stock so many sleds? If you are in the market for a new sled, then order one. I would think that more dealers would come back like the old days when there was a Cat dealer in my town and others only a few miles away. Would it not be better if we didn't have to travel so far just to have our sleds serviced or have them worked on for what ever reason? What about PG&A? These dealers could and probably would make more money on, PG&A, parts, garments, accessories and service if there were more. They would sell more sleds too. To me service and support is the most important thing. With that I want convenience. Now days it's a days travel to and from the dealer to have this. I miss the days when I could and would go into my local dealer. Sometimes just to bullshit and talk sledding. Very rarely would I walk out without purchasing something.

I know Cat dealers cannot survive on just sleds. Remember when Cat manufactured and sold boats, lawnmowers, peddle bikes, mini bikes and jet skis? They were very profitable then.

Can someone please explain to me why we are losing and not gaining dealers? I don't get it.
Lovethoseoldcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #64 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2020 ZR 8000 LTD IACT - 14 XF7000 Ltd
Previous Sled(s): 10 F8 SP,05 F6,02 ZL 600SS, 99 ZL 600, 96 Pantera
Favorite Riding Area: Central MN
18-19 Mileage 1170
17-18 Mileage: 1260
16-17 Mileage: 960
15-16 Mileage: 849
Riding Since: 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovethoseoldcats View Post
Can someone please explain this to me? I don't understand why dealers are dropping Cat. With this new idea of ordering only I would think more dealers would take on Cat or stay. I like the idea of ordering only. Dealers have had to deal with sled manufactures shoving sleds down their throats for years. We all know the problems this causes when they don't sell. The only downfall to this ordering only is if the consumer wants or needs a new sled during the season. I know this can happen based on snowfall. I'm sure there can be a solution to this. Maybe dealers can stock just a few sleds for this.

Would it not be better that dealers don't have to stock so many sleds? If you are in the market for a new sled, then order one. I would think that more dealers would come back like the old days when there was a Cat dealer in my town and others only a few miles away. Would it not be better if we didn't have to travel so far just to have our sleds serviced or have them worked on for what ever reason? What about PG&A? These dealers could and probably would make more money on, PG&A, parts, garments, accessories and service if there were more. They would sell more sleds too. To me service and support is the most important thing. With that I want convenience. Now days it's a days travel to and from the dealer to have this. I miss the days when I could and would go into my local dealer. Sometimes just to bullshit and talk sledding. Very rarely would I walk out without purchasing something.

I know Cat dealers cannot survive on just sleds. Remember when Cat manufactured and sold boats, lawnmowers, peddle bikes, mini bikes and jet skis? They were very profitable then.

Can someone please explain to me why we are losing and not gaining dealers? I don't get it.
I'm like you I like going into dealership, they know my name and we can take time and talk about sledding, the younger generation doesn't know how to talk face to face. They would rather order online, they think they are so busy.

Cat needs to use Amazon to sell sleds just order online and wait for delivery no talking to anyone.

The small Cat dealership that I purchase my sleds from loves the new program from Textron less stress on there business.

Hopefully the factory will have a few sleds for the guy that totals a sled early in the season and get there 2020 replaced or they could end up going to the competition.
cats19 likes this.
Fun11cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:18 PM   #65 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): 14 Zr8000 lxr
Previous Sled(s): 09 F8
Favorite Riding Area: Laurel Highlands
18-19 Mileage 1900
17-18 Mileage: 1200mi
16-17 Mileage: 110mi yep!
15-16 Mileage: 400
Riding Since: 1982

It's an easy explanation. Sled sales are diving to the bottom. Hence manufacturers that are weak will die and dealers in the same condition go under too. Simple explanation is sales keep dropping on sleds. Someone isn't buying anymore despite what you may think.

Steve

Quote:

stevem5215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #66 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2018 Sidewinder RTX SE
Previous Sled(s): 2007 Apex RTX
Favorite Riding Area: Central Vermont
18-19 Mileage 1,449

It's not just Cat. Here in Vermont we have lost Yamaha, Polaris, and Ski-doo dealers in the past 5 years as well. The whole industry is shrinking.
one ton fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #67 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '14 XRS 797 ETEC
Previous Sled(s): '13 T'NT 594
Favorite Riding Area: NY
18-19 Mileage 1,261
17-18 Mileage: 1,775
16-17 Mileage: 1,645
15-16 Mileage: 1,543
Riding Since: '73
Arrow

Quote:
Can someone please explain this to me? I don't understand why dealers are dropping Cat.
Because Cat announced that they were going to jack up the APR charged to dealers on leftover (2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019) inventory. This is probably why so many dealers kicked Cat out.

Now, if you had no or little leftover inventory, I could see sticking it out. But around me, Cat dealers were sitting on A LOT of leftover inventory.

Last edited by Trail Ryder; 04-16-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Trail Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:21 PM   #68 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Not much leftover inventory from any brand in my area currently. We had banner snow in February and SMART dealers got off the stick, discounted them and moved them out. Dealers that kept their strangle hold on them and refused to discount are likely the only dealers left holding the bag.
jdskycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #69 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 ZR 8000 LTD iACT 137
Previous Sled(s): 14 XF 8000, and many other cats
Favorite Riding Area: Anywhere there is snow.
18-19 Mileage 1700
17-18 Mileage: Never enough
16-17 Mileage: 1200
15-16 Mileage: 1000

Thanks every one for their reply and ideas.

I get it that sales on sleds have dropped dramatically. That's why I, and hopefully the dealers, like this order only idea. What I still don't get is why don't they set their sites on service, support and PG&A? Let's service and support the people that still have sleds whether they are 50 year old sleds or new ones. I still believe they could make good money on servicing sleds and selling parts, garments and accessories. I for one would bring my sled in for service if my dealer was in town or closer. My current dealer is just too far away to do this. It's a day both ways. Then another day both ways to pick it up. Now days with all this new technology it's hard to do the required service I like to and should do. Back in the old days I used to work on cars, trucks and my toys. Not today. I truly believe that manufactures have engineered cars, trucks and toys so we can no longer work or service them. Example: The older Cats you could drain the chain case oil and replace it in minutes. The newer Cats you have to take it apart and hopefully you don't break something taking it apart or putting it back together. This goes for other maintenance on these newer sleds. I would definitely pay a dealer to do this and the other maintenance. I have also purchased thousands of dollars of accessories for my sleds and other toys. I would definitely pay to have the dealer put them on after purchase. I usually spend more when I have to do it because I didn't get it right. Example: I purchased a tether for my 14. I had to tear apart the sled to install it. It didn't work and I could not figure out the problem. I ended up having to take it to my dealer. Two days lost. They fixed it and it cost me almost $400 for them to fix my screw up. I would have saved if I would have had them install it in the first place.

Honestly I don't think dealers make all that much money on a sled sale anyway. In fact I know they don't. They usually make it on the PG&A. I include service with that too. Like I said before I know dealers cannot make it on just sleds. They have to sell other products too. So why not any service center in your town bring on Cat? They could get a sled order once in awhile and they could service and support that new sled along with the sleds already out there?

Sorry for going on. I hope you understand what I'm trying to get at. Maybe I'm wrong.
rooster800 likes this.
Lovethoseoldcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #70 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks every one for their reply and ideas.

What I still don't get is why don't they set their sites on service, support and PG&A? Let's service and support the people that still have sleds whether they are 50 year old sleds or new ones. I still believe they could make good money on servicing sleds and selling parts, garments and accessories. I for one would bring my sled in for service if my dealer was in town or closer.
You have done a great job outlining exactly why having a good dealer is far more important than what brand sled you ride. The dealer I work with has an excellent service department, charges reasonable rates for the work they do and get me in and out quickly whenever I do need some service done - which is really not that often anymore since I ride newer machines.

I agree that if you are away from a larger metro area where dealers are thin you will have to drive a bit more to get to a good dealer but in the end it will be worth it.
jdskycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement