HCS Snowmobile Forums

HCS Snowmobile Forums (https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/)
-   General Snowmobile Forum (https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/352-general-snowmobile-forum/)
-   -   Fuel treatmenst all snake oil? (https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/352-general-snowmobile-forum/1849358-fuel-treatmenst-all-snake-oil.html)

Frankie406 01-30-2019 09:13 AM

Fuel treatmenst all snake oil?

I watched a video on youtube, I don't do links, so you have to type in Project Farm K100 fuel treatment test. Anyhow, he tested K100, Startron, Iso-heat and 91% isopropyl alcohol from the dollar store. As far as water in the fuel, the iso-heat and Isopropyl kept the water from freezing, but it still didn't run. K100 which claims to keep water suspended so it burns off with the fuel unnoticed. Didn't work. Neither did startron, which just claims to help with phase separation, but didn't work either. Both K100 an Startron, the water froze solid in the bottom.

So, is it even worth using, I put startron in every fill up, it still is a good stabalizer and fuel system cleaner, so it's good for that, but as far as water, no dice.

shimxtr1 01-30-2019 09:28 AM

I think just about all those fuel additives work just enough that they cant be accused of false advertising but for the most part don't do what they claim. I go out of my way to find non ethanol gas and even then siphon it in the fall and start with fresh.

decee 01-30-2019 09:32 AM

1fastpolaris 01-30-2019 11:21 AM

Mechanic in a bottle, if you believe everything you see on the net! It does dissolve the nasty shit in the bottom of carb bowls if you leave it awhile.

ndlsjk 01-30-2019 11:29 AM

Seafoam has always been a treatment that has seemed to help my engines run a little better. It does create HUGE smoke clouds if you let it get sucked up by a vacuum line and melt off the built up carbon. Like MASSIVE fire department called because a house must be on fire size clouds of nasty black smoke.

As a fuel additive it seems to keep my motorcycle carbs nice and clean, I run it every fill up. No idea what it does about water though.

In my diesel tractor I do Power Service winter to help keep the fuel from gelling/freezing the filters. It works okay. I still blast the torpedo heater on the thing for 45 minutes before starting so its a little easier on the engine, it sounds like a bag of hammers for a minute if I don't pre-warm it.

Jerry 976 01-30-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1fastpolaris (Post 20121872)
Mechanic in a bottle, if you believe everything you see on the net! It does dissolve the nasty shit in the bottom of carb bowls if you leave it awhile.

There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum, it's about 20 minutes long.....:thumbsup:

Clicky below:

Ethonal, Water, Gas, Oil. Video

David Pumpkins 02-01-2019 01:21 AM

I used to use cheapo stabilizer (stabil) on my old ZX, and the bowls were clean every Fall.

Garc 02-01-2019 08:28 AM

The ratios are absurd for his testing. If you have a 10 gallon tank, he’s trying to mix and burn a full 2 gallons of water. The Petri dish needs to be world realistic and under 3% instead of 10-20%.

In my 30 gallon truck, even at 5% water(1.5 gallons) I’m dumping the tank.

Let it Snow! 02-01-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shimxtr1 (Post 20121550)
I think just about all those fuel additives work just enough that they cant be accused of false advertising but for the most part don't do what they claim. I go out of my way to find non ethanol gas and even then siphon it in the fall and start with fresh.

No need for draining if you use:

https://fitchfuelcatalyst.com

As long as its non-eth.

timc3352 02-02-2019 11:44 AM

Anybody remember the long thread about Gas RX?