Have you lost a buddy? - Page 27 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

View Poll Results: Have you had a buddy lose his life while riding?
Yes 310 29.00%
No 759 71.00%
Voters: 1069. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #261 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 13 Pro-R 800 switchback
Previous Sled(s): 04 pro x2, edge x 700, 99 xc 500, 92 xcr 440, 89 indy trail
Favorite Riding Area: Midwest
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 450
Riding Since: 93

I almost lost my brother when I was 12 riding. He was 14. We were riding late at night with our dad in march. He was behind me, my dad was in front of me. He kind of ventured off trail to pass me. He was to the side of me and I could see his headlight out of the corner of my eye. Then I saw his headlight go down. I imediatly hit the breaks and went where I saw go down. I got off the sled, kept it running knowing my dad would turn around at the closest road. I stared down a black hole heart racing not knowing what to do yelling for him. It was a drainage ditch about 20 feet deep. When my dad came back franticly asking where Robert was I couldn't even talk. I just pointed down the ditch. My dad jumped down there and yelled to bring a sled closer to the edge so he could see better. I went down the ditch too to see my brother not moving. He quickly started to come out of being unconscious not knowing where he was. After he got going to the hospital me and my dad rode across the lake to our grandparents. He left right away to get to the hospital (grandpa went with Robert) I stayed with my grandma at the house. Very long night. He broke both wrists, his arm, his pelvis and 5 ribs. He's lucky to be alive. We all still ride. He has a new respect to stay on the trail at night and not go too fast.. well we all do.

I know of 3 people who died from riding. Its a dangerous sport. So take precautions guys. Im 23 now and I don't drink and ride. I get some shit from bartenders here and there for ordering a water.. which really disgusts me honestly. You should never try to push someone to drink and ride. I also will only ride in my comfort zone. I'll ride very hard sometimes, but I always corner on MY side of the rail. Always stay on the right. And night I don't ride hard. I don't care if I'm riding with people who ride hard at night or day. Its my life, so its my pace. I'll catch up at the next destination if it comes to that.

I also stopped using communicators years ago. They can be great. But I saw my step mom crash into a drainage ditch right in front of me. It wasn't like my brothers crash but it still hurt her bad and knocked her out. But to see a crash is bad, but to hear them scream scared for there life, and the suddenly nothing, that's worse that just seeing it.

Last edited by MuscleD; 07-14-2013 at 11:13 AM.
MuscleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #262 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 Pro-R Switchback 800
Previous Sled(s): 2002 PRO-X 600
Favorite Riding Area: Mackinac to Gaylord
Riding Since: 1979

I voted no to losing a buddy but unfortunately every winter someone is losing their life on the trails. It seems to be that alcohol is usually a contributing factor as well. I remember riding the Jordan Valley headed to Larry's and I came upon a mangled sled and the Antrim County Deputy writing up a report. Apparently this guy came hauling ass around a blind corner and clipped the groomer in a bad way. when I got out to the highway they were loading him in the ambulance. Talked to the Groomer operator at Larry's and he said he heard the guy coming and even though their was plenty of room for the guy to get by he pulled over more because he knew the guy was screaming into the corner. The guy was hugging the inside of the left hand corner and was going too fast to correct and Boom. Guy's like that are the reason I wont take my wife on those trails on busy weekends.
Switchback Seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #263 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 600 Gade, 2006 AC CF 7 136
Previous Sled(s): mostly cats, poos and a doo
Favorite Riding Area: lake george ny
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1104

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleD View Post
I almost lost my brother when I was 12 riding. He was 14. We were riding late at night with our dad in march. He was behind me, my dad was in front of me. He kind of ventured off trail to pass me. He was to the side of me and I could see his headlight out of the corner of my eye. Then I saw his headlight go down. I imediatly hit the breaks and went where I saw go down. I got off the sled, kept it running knowing my dad would turn around at the closest road. I stared down a black hole heart racing not knowing what to do yelling for him. It was a drainage ditch about 20 feet deep. When my dad came back franticly asking where Robert was I couldn't even talk. I just pointed down the ditch. My dad jumped down there and yelled to bring a sled closer to the edge so he could see better. I went down the ditch too to see my brother not moving. He quickly started to come out of being unconscious not knowing where he was. After he got going to the hospital me and my dad rode across the lake to our grandparents. He left right away to get to the hospital (grandpa went with Robert) I stayed with my grandma at the house. Very long night. He broke both wrists, his arm, his pelvis and 5 ribs. He's lucky to be alive. We all still ride. He has a new respect to stay on the trail at night and not go too fast.. well we all do.

I know of 3 people who died from riding. Its a dangerous sport. So take precautions guys. Im 23 now and I don't drink and ride. I get some shit from bartenders here and there for ordering a water.. which really disgusts me honestly. You should never try to push someone to drink and ride. I also will only ride in my comfort zone. I'll ride very hard sometimes, but I always corner on MY side of the rail. Always stay on the right. And night I don't ride hard. I don't care if I'm riding with people who ride hard at night or day. Its my life, so its my pace. I'll catch up at the next destination if it comes to that.

I also stopped using communicators years ago. They can be great. But I saw my step mom crash into a drainage ditch right in front of me. It wasn't like my brothers crash but it still hurt her bad and knocked her out. But to see a crash is bad, but to hear them scream scared for there life, and the suddenly nothing, that's worse that just seeing it.
holy crap i cant even imagine what i would have done if i HEARD the crash that claimed my dads life (his reaction and the hit) as well as witnessing it etc etc...makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it.......anyway, keep drinking water buddy....if only everyone else knew better, i may still have a dad. never ever ever ever drink and ride.

RIDE IN PEACE DAD
SmokinShift600cfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #264 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): 2006 Apex Attak
Previous Sled(s): 1993 Exciter II

This should be back at the top.... As a fairly new "fulltime" rider, with my own sled, its a good reminder to keep your wits about you.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #265 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 600 Gade, 2006 AC CF 7 136
Previous Sled(s): mostly cats, poos and a doo
Favorite Riding Area: lake george ny
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson View Post
This should be back at the top.... As a fairly new "fulltime" rider, with my own sled, its a good reminder to keep your wits about you.
agreed. sadly, like in my fathers case, you can be riding with your family and have your wits with you 100 percent but still end up dead. but if everyone was responsible and did the right thing out there, it surely would be a much safer place. coming up on the 1 year anniversary of my fathers wreck/demise.....surely doesn't get any easier, at least is has not yet. be safe out there.
SmokinShift600cfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #266 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 Polaris Assault, 2011 F800 EXT
Previous Sled(s): many
Favorite Riding Area: New Liskeard and north
Riding Since: 1979

wow - this is the saddest post i've ever read - but also a great way to remember our friends and family.
I lost a buddy (night riding) on a lake, who drove into a chest height dock that had been left in the water. He was killed upon impact.
Second one was my dads friend (who became like a winter-father to me)..was an AVID Polaris guy! This guy would ride 6000 miles every year! The nicest man you would ever meet - we waited CONSTANTLY for him on the trails cuz he would stop every time he saw someone pulled over, just to see if they were OK. Its funny lookin back on that now - cuz we were always saying "where's Colin??"...and of course, he would come eventually to tell us the people we passed 40 miles back were lost and needed a map. LOL...such a great guy! Every winter i have a melt-down thinking about him...right now too. I drive by his cemetary twice a day, every single day, and i think about him and what he would think of todays sleds...RIP Colin! FUCKEN CANCER!!!!
:*(
graphics1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #267 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 AXYS PRO-S 800 Anny
Previous Sled(s): 2012 Rush 800 2005 Indy 500
Favorite Riding Area: Lakewood WI
Riding Since: 1983

Yesterday on my way home from work I drove past the funeral of a local volunteer fire fighter. He went off the trail and hit a tree at 2:00 am in Tipler/ Florence County this last weekend. Alcohol and speed were factors. Age 48
Old 02-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #268 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 F7
Previous Sled(s): Every brand
Favorite Riding Area: Right from my front door
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 300
Riding Since: 97

I Lost my bestfriend, my cousin back in december of 08. It was two days after christmas, he hit a tree up north. There was nothing anyone could do to save him. He was 15, that was my first experience with death at just 13... I don't need to be the fastest one on the trails. I'm at peace whenever I ride.
I have an 04 F7 EFI. I just put a sno stuff can on it and it sputters mid range...its snappy to 40 then it just sputters out. I put the stock can back on and it goes like hell....any info would be appreciated.
2005f7std is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement