2001 sxr 600 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

2 Strokes This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By IQ600cf-i

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2001 sxr 600

Hello everyone!
Decide last year to get into Snowmobiling. Bought a yamaha sxr 600 and took it to a dealer to have it fully serviced at the beginning of last year. Carbs cleaaned, new brake pads, some exhaust work and it ran great. This year, I'm having an issue. I'll do my best to describe. It starts and idles fine. After a 5 minute warmup, I take a 3 block ride to the trails and then start hitting it hard. Throttle is responsive and it goes like a bat out of hell. After about 20 minutes of riding it starts to choke at about 6000-6200 rpm (40-55 mph). I can crack the throttle and it just bogs more. I can slowly apply throttle and it still bogs. My first thought is that maybe the carbs need to be cleaned again, but since I've never owned a snowmobile, I wanted to see what others thought. Thank you.
wildtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

BTW: I have searched for a solution to this, on my own, but none of the symptoms seem to match mine. And I realize most of you are probably thinking "take it to a shop if you can't figure it out", but I'm trying to learn these motors (especially the carburetors).
Old 01-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Loosen up the throttle cable just a bit and see what happens. No self diagnosis flashing on the display? Your rpms are above where the tors would activate.

From there, perhaps a chance the dealer didnt address the filter screens under the needle seats and they have debris restricting flow.

After that it could be electrical like a stator breaking down, wire rub through somewhere, or plug caps.
frozen phalanges is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2018, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. I'll start with the throttle cable.
The headlights do get very dim at idle, so I wonder if the stator is failing.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 08 IQRR
Previous Sled(s): apex,Indys, SXs, Srxs, IQcfi,SBs,12 ProR,09Rmk,Vector,Xc's,
Favorite Riding Area: Upper, lower penninsula
Riding Since: 1984

I recommend cleaning the carbs every year. I personally would not chance it. It's easy to do.
MRXC7001998 and snowcrazy1 like this.
IQ600cf-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Exactly what I was thinking, I just had to do this on my SXR 600T.
Tyler585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQ600cf-i View Post
I recommend cleaning the carbs every year. I personally would not chance it. It's easy to do.
I'll do the same at first.
MRXC7001998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): CFR 1000 & PRO X2 800
Previous Sled(s): MANY
Favorite Riding Area: EVERYWHERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtwins View Post
BTW: I have searched for a solution to this, on my own, but none of the symptoms seem to match mine. And I realize most of you are probably thinking "take it to a shop if you can't figure it out", but I'm trying to learn these motors (especially the carburetors).
Have you put in fresh gas? If not empty the tank (you can put the fuel in your car) and put in fresh gas.
gaige2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement