Which exhaust Valve Cable Length Spec do you like ? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ZR/ZL forum This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): ZRs & 500 OM Dart-- ( Ice Racer)
Previous Sled(s): Like a Zillion, all brands
Favorite Riding Area: My area when there is snow
Riding Since: 1967
Default Which exhaust Valve Cable Length Spec do you like ?

This is kind of Funny. Down here in S Mi right now we don't have a lot of snow ( 5") But because of the light Rain we got in the process & then it went cold The hook up were getting on a non studded 1.25 track is unreal. Pulling the skis up no effort & When the exh valves open up it snaps you pretty good. Never noticed a snap like that in normal snow conditions. Which prompted this Question. My cables are set at or near the long spec & I don't know if that's good as I'm now wondering if I might be holding the motor back at just below valve opening RPM. Valves are just cleaned & the power surge I'm getting & currently hooking up is an eye opener. It prompted me to pull my new 6 tower off w/ only 200 miles on it & smoke it over for any thing that might be causing it to delay shifting & nothing wrong with it. So about the only adjustment left is these cables. Its not overrevving or anything like that. Funny thing to bitch about right.
Ps I'm just thinkin under normal snow hook up I might be leaving a little on the table with the cables set long , maybe its a good thing or maybe its causing a delay in upshift.

Last edited by MiModRacer; 01-21-2020 at 10:38 AM.
MiModRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

To break it down further, here is what I'm pondering. With this power surge when the valves open up. Feels like an instant 10 HP.
1. Am I delaying the motor with the cables set to long spec. aka making it lay down some just prior to the valves finally opening.
2. At the moment of power surge am I momentarily causing a slight overshift of the clutches under normal snow traction by breaking traction . I might be cause it its snapping hard enough that you want a good grip on both handle bars. & your around 40mph when it hits
Old 01-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): "Agri-vator"

You, over think things buddy. Ha. The valves will function the same way, long ior short, as ,long as the cables are Equal. The servo autocorrects the start position to accommodate for length. Basically, so they always open the same. Your traction and thevweight coming off the roller or the rear rollers hitting a transition in the helix, are imo, what your feeling. The secondary shifts differently....when it has better traction. Basically.
stronger800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2020, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Yea OK. I did just tighten the tri blocks 1 click & that helped some. All I know is ain't setting up my timers in a cornfield to get to the bottom of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement