93 EXT 550 EFI Sticking at 6k RPM - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ZR/ZL forum This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2020, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 93 EXT 550 EFI Sticking at 6k RPM

My 93 EXT 550 is currently experiencing issues at 6k rpm only. The sled will start and idle fine, when revving the sled to 6k rpm it will stick and hold and not return to idle. (The throttle body it self is functioning fine and returning).

When revving the engine to anything below 6k rpm the motor will return to idle. If you rev the engine above 6k rpm (IE 7.5k) it will return to idle but stick for a second at 6k on it way back. If i rev the motor to 6k and let a stick ( it is like cruise control) and then rev past to 7 or 8 k it will return to idle hang up at 6 k for .5 sec.

Injectors seem to be function properly. I sprayed started fluid around all the boots and seal and there appears to be not leaks. Plugs looked fine when pulled

Any ideas as to what would be causing this to only occur when the motor is at 6k rpm?

Last edited by wiscosledder99; 01-11-2020 at 09:17 PM.
wiscosledder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 07:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 XF 8000 137" Orange Limited

Primary weights are catching in the spider, bushings are shot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No Substitute For BIG JUGS!!
Super 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply super 8 I appreciate the help on this. I am still a little confused though. The testing was done without a belt on the machine. When it sticks a 6k rpm it will stay there until you hit the kill switch or rev higher. Does the weights really have that much influence for it to stick at 6k rpm? How would the engine know to keep distributing fuel to hold at that rpm?

Old 01-12-2020, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Didn't realize you had the belt removed. Put the belt on and lift rear of sled and see how it performs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Here is some test we performed i can try with track spinning as well. just seemed safer this way.

Here are the test we currently performed not sure if this helps.

used the starter fluid around the crank seals to penetrate down past the fly wheel further to check for leaks. Also used propane method to check for leaks none of which effected the motor.

There are no codes on it.
The butter fly and throttle cable are all functioning properly.
Pulled plugs several times and they look fine. not white in color and not full of excess oil.

Belt was not on for testing below.

Test performed:
-Sled Idles fines, Brought up to 3k rpm let off and sled returned to Idle
-Brought sled to 5k Rpm let off throttle and sled returned to idle
-Brought sled to 6k Rpm sled would not return to idle stayed right at 6k bouncing up and down a little. (shut sled off)
-Started sled back up and returned right to idle.

Next test:
-Took sled to 6k rpm held, removed injector and sled returned to idle, did on both sides.
-Took sled to 6k let is sit removed injector revvd sled back to 6k with one injector pluged in let off throttle, sled retuned to idle. (did this on both sides)
-Next we reved to 7.5k and let off throttle and sled would have a blip at 6k and return to idle.
-Next we revd to 6k let off throttle engine still holding at 6k then revd to 7.5k and let off and throttle returned to idle with slight blip at 6k.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Here is an example of weight bushings that wear out and touch the spider inside the clutch, which creates a hang up in the shift profile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	worn clutch.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	2070730  

Old 01-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): "Agri-vator"

I'm perplexed. I won't run a sled above idle without a belt on it, but if I did, I don't know if the condition of the clutch would effect rpm or not. I want to say not. With a belt on and track turning, certainly. That being said, I have no idea otherwise. I don't know how anything could run at any rpm above idle (to stick at 6k) with the TB's Closed to the idle position.
stronger800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement