1997 Mach Z help...Please! - HCS Snowmobile Forums

MACH Z This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2017, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Angry 1997 Mach Z help...Please!

Good morning HCS! New user today, thought I would introduce myself. My name is Roger, and I am the proud and aggravated owner of an old stubborn triple 97 Mach Z 809.

I bought this sled 2 years ago, seemed to be running fine. I rode it for about 2 hours over the course of a couple weeks, and it popped the exhaust side coil. I didn't really notice the loss in power until it dropped the middle cylinder. I had the coils changed, only to pop them again.

I brought the sled to mechanic, and had it looked over. changed a slew of parts, and basically had the machine brought back into running order. Bearings, sliders, all that stuff fixed or replaced.

get the sled back, ride a couple hours, pops the coil again. bring the sled back to mechanic, and had a stator rebuilt by RM Stator in Quebec. change the coils again. I also tracked down a used cdi box and replaced that too. my problem is this machine keeps popping aftermarket coils and I cant keep all three cylinders firing. this is definitely an electrical issue, engine looks good and still has the scoring in the jugs. 5200 original kms.

why is this machine continually frying the ignition coils?

Doo, now has a replacement stator available for 229.00 CAD. OEM part. I cannot get a new CDI box, but I have four boxes all OEM parts for this machine. external ignition coils aren't available from Doo, but I can get aftermarket ones from royal distributing, but these are the coils that keep popping.

please help..im happy to answer any questions that I can to get answers so I make this sled run on all 3 reliably. it seems to just quit after warming up. my mechanic doesn't even want to work on it anymore. I need a guy with the experience to solve such a problem and make this a reliable sled.
orangepony79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): O.M. 1000, 700 Heavy Mod, 700 IS XCR 1253, XC1214, P.S.700
Favorite Riding Area: N.W. Wisconsin
Riding Since: 1959

What does "pop" mean? Did they split in two? Or something else?
What happened to the original factory coils?
XCR1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default ...

popping coils means, the coil stops working. no more spark. the actual coil housing becomes loose on the bracket, and I can wiggle it back and forth about a cm. the good coils, that are sparking, do not have this play. I suspect something is heating them up too much, and once they become wiggly the stop [producing spark.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Loctite the mounting hardware so they don't "wiggle". Probably not grounded when they loosen.
Do they feel hot?
What happened to the OEM coils?
Old 03-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Should be a ground connection on the mag side coil, if the hardware which holds the coil and the ground wire becomes loose it won't spark and may ruin the coil(s).
Old 03-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Im not sure what happened to the original coils. im not even certain they were oem when I bought the sled.

they aren't wiggling at the assembly or the mounting hardwire, the bolts holding the coil to the carb bank are tight. the actual coil itself is wiggling on itself. if I remove the coil and take the black piece, it wiggles on the stell piece that bolts to the carb bank.

then it doesn't spark. the other 2 seem to be working for now, but that's not to say I wont pop another one in future. there is a ground and its bolted to the frame of the sled, not too far away from the cdi box.

all three coils are tight, to the bank, I was getting intermittent spark to the coil in question, and now its quit all together. the machine starts second pull on the other two coils alone. it bogs out when goosing it, and I know its because the one cylinder wasn't firing. plugs look ok.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The mag coil should have a ground wire from the mounting bolt to the frame.
I would try to locate a set of used oem coils, there are dozens of sled salvage yards.
Do you re-use the spark plug caps from coil to coil? Have you ohm checked the caps?
Old 03-03-2017, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

all the coils are exactly the same, none of them has an extra wire on it. my mechaninc says all the ohms tested ok. I can double check the ground and see where it goes but I think its on the cdi. again the coils don't have specific wires to group grouind them or individually
Old 03-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Part#12.
1997 Ski-Doo Mach Z Magneto 12V 220W (699, 809) | Powers Edge

OHM check the spark caps again, post what you get for a reading, important to do.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

I looked at the schematic, and there is no ground wire being tied in on the sled to the coil. I have to take a closer look and see what wires lead to where. I suspect I found the culprit, but its just a guess. I need to find where the part # 12 attaches to at the other end..

I have no idea how to check the ohms. im not electrical meter informed. I do have a meter, if you could provide detailed instructions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement