"00 and newer model differences? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

ZX Chassis This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By retiredpop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2019, 02:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '04 Polaris Classic 700.
Previous Sled(s): '94 Ski Doo MX470, '98 Ski Doo Formula 500.
Favorite Riding Area: Tug Hill
Riding Since: 1992
Default "00 and newer model differences?

I figured I'd start my own thread so I don't clutter up other peoples.

I've been out of snowmobiling for about 20 years and looking to get back into it and get my family into as well. My son will be 18 and has little sledding experience but has ridden ATV's and dirt bikes all of his life and has his drivers license. My nephew will be 14 and has almost no experience with sleds, ATV's ect. My wife rides ATV's but has never ridden a sled and isn't sure she wants to ride a sled....she's from Tucson and isn't crazy about being out in the cold!

So I'm going to get 3 to 4 sleds this off season to get them ready for next season. I'm not brand loyal. I posted in the Polaris XC and Arctic Cat ZL/ZR sections and got really good info from everyone. I'll probably buy the same brand sleds for all of us to keep maintenance, part exchangeability, repairs and overall familiarity easier.

I'm thinking for my wife (500 or 600) and I (700) sleds like the ZX Chassis Formula, Formula Z or Legend (Edge Classic or ZL). My son a MXZ 600 (XC/XCSP/Edge X or ZR 600). My nephew either type in the 500 range.

As far as the Formula, Formula Z and Legends are concerned, are they pretty much the same sleds? If not, what are the differences between them?

What's the difference between the MXZ, MXZ X, MXZ Adrenaline and MXZ Renegade?

We'll be mainly trail riding on the Tug Hill and Adirondacks with some lake riding. All our tracks will be studded so they're safer on ice.

Thanks, NYH1.
NYH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Anyone?

NYH1.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I'm not a Skidoo rider but my son has a couple of 600 Summits in the ZX chassis for his kids. They seem to be pretty decent sleds overall. Ride quality is not as good as equivalent era Polaris sleds. Motors are good. You could probably get some answers to your questions over on https://www.dootalk.com/forums/

Good luck and nice to hear of families joining the sledding community.
NYH1 likes this.
retiredpop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2019, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not much
Riding Since: 70 s

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredpop View Post
I'm not a Skidoo rider but my son has a couple of 600 Summits in the ZX chassis for his kids. They seem to be pretty decent sleds overall. Ride quality is not as good as equivalent era Polaris sleds. Motors are good. You could probably get some answers to your questions over on https://www.dootalk.com/forums/

Good luck and nice to hear of families joining the sledding community.
Pretty much agree on the ski-doo ride quality when it gets rough with those sleds. Some of our guys had them back then, i through the polaris sleds were better riding and handling in the moguls. I preferred the ride of the ski-doo on trails with small chatter bumps. Their both good sleds otherwise.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2007 Dragon 700 ////05' switchback 600
Previous Sled(s): 03 zr 900/ 03 zr 800/99 mach z 800/03 vmax 600/95 vmax 500/
Favorite Riding Area: your sister
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not enough
17-18 Mileage: not enough
16-17 Mileage: not enough
Riding Since: 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
I figured I'd start my own thread so I don't clutter up other peoples.

I've been out of snowmobiling for about 20 years and looking to get back into it and get my family into as well. My son will be 18 and has little sledding experience but has ridden ATV's and dirt bikes all of his life and has his drivers license. My nephew will be 14 and has almost no experience with sleds, ATV's ect. My wife rides ATV's but has never ridden a sled and isn't sure she wants to ride a sled....she's from Tucson and isn't crazy about being out in the cold!

So I'm going to get 3 to 4 sleds this off season to get them ready for next season. I'm not brand loyal. I posted in the Polaris XC and Arctic Cat ZL/ZR sections and got really good info from everyone. I'll probably buy the same brand sleds for all of us to keep maintenance, part exchangeability, repairs and overall familiarity easier.

I'm thinking for my wife (500 or 600) and I (700) sleds like the ZX Chassis Formula, Formula Z or Legend (Edge Classic or ZL). My son a MXZ 600 (XC/XCSP/Edge X or ZR 600). My nephew either type in the 500 range.

As far as the Formula, Formula Z and Legends are concerned, are they pretty much the same sleds? If not, what are the differences between them?

What's the difference between the MXZ, MXZ X, MXZ Adrenaline and MXZ Renegade?

We'll be mainly trail riding on the Tug Hill and Adirondacks with some lake riding. All our tracks will be studded so they're safer on ice.

Thanks, NYH1.
formula sleds , depending on years , did without rave valves as opposed to the same year mxz which had em'.

i think in the later years it was more just shocks/decal differences and the option of electric start.

mxz is a softer suspension more inline with trail riding then big air/mogul mashing of a mxzx.Its basically there old race sled detuned for consumers. most older mxzx's youll see are 440 only , youll know its one cause of the clear gas tank etc. beefed up chasis reenforcements and more stiff shock packages.there typically as light as it gets for the era , and are very high strung unless there heads have been swapped out to run 91 pump gas.

mxz renegades are a mxz but with a 136' track instead of the industry standard length back then of 121.

adrenaline i believe was a spring option and was just shock packages and decals if i remember correctly.

Out of the sleds you listed , id go :

xc 600 or 700 for you(enouh grunt to satisfy,great reliability)

wife a zl 6(soft easy riding sled)

kid a zr sno pro 6 or edge x/pro x 6 for the young fellow over a mxzx 440 race sled(just as fast, runs on pump gas)

nephew a xc sp 500/edge x 500 or 01' up zr 500 with the apv valves.(little less snap then the 600s, but not much, or a mxz 500 in that era was a nice little sled too, try to get one with rer.i think it was standard 02 and up.

you will not be disappointed with any of these sleds listed above.again, thats just my opinion.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Last weekend I bought a '04 Polaris Classic 700.

As I mentioned above, I'll probably buy the same brand sleds for all of us to keep maintenance, part exchangeability, repairs and overall familiarity easier.

Thanks, NYH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement