Indy 500 stator advice ? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Trail/Classic/XLT This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Indy 500 stator advice ?

So I'm thinking a bad stator but hoping to get some guidance....kinda learning as I go.
The symptoms - sled runs great when its cold, once it gets hot say 10-15 minutes it starts to lose power and eventually stalls. The spark plugs are soaked and there's no spark. I replaced the CDI not too long ago ,plugs and wires are new. I also unplugged the killswitch/tss from the harness and didn't make a difference. Right now the sled isn't home, I'll have to go get it when it cools off, its a 488 cc liquid cool/carbed model with about 4500 miles-
thanks and stay well !
DJ68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2020, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 AXYS Pr-S SB Ann 800, 2019 Indy 850.
Previous Sled(s): 2003 XCR 1100, 2000 XCR 800 turbo, 2005 Redline Revolt 800.
Favorite Riding Area: Cadillac, Gaylord
19-20 Mileage: 715 so far
18-19 Mileage: 849
17-18 Mileage: 1280
16-17 Mileage: 1115
Riding Since: 1982

Could be a bad stator. You need to OHM test it when it doesn't show any spark. Use a spark tester or a screw driver to test for spark. Fouled plugs won't show spark.

Stator has two separate systems: A. Lighting, B. Ignition.
Typical stator ignition/spark (B) system OHMs are
Brown/white to Black/red: 164 OHMs
Brown/white to ground: 0 OHMS

If it tests okay, then you might want to see if it's flooding when warm. If so, this can be bad float needles/seats, wrong choke setup, sunken floats, plugged bowl vent hoses, dirt in needles/seats, fuel pump leak into crankcase via pulse hose.
too slow likes this.
patrioticinnovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrioticinnovations View Post
Could be a bad stator. You need to OHM test it when it doesn't show any spark. Use a spark tester or a screw driver to test for spark. Fouled plugs won't show spark.

Stator has two separate systems: A. Lighting, B. Ignition.
Typical stator ignition/spark (B) system OHMs are
Brown/white to Black/red: 164 OHMs
Brown/white to ground: 0 OHMS

If it tests okay, then you might want to see if it's flooding when warm. If so, this can be bad float needles/seats, wrong choke setup, sunken floats, plugged bowl vent hoses, dirt in needles/seats, fuel pump leak into crankcase via pulse hose.
Gotcha, I'll have to run it on a stand until it fails and then check . Unfortunately the little snow cover we had is gone.
I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs and set the floats recently... But you mentioned plugged bowl vent hoses ? come to think of it I think they have plastic plugs in them, could that be an issue ?

Old 03-25-2020, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not much
Riding Since: 70 s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ68 View Post
So I'm thinking a bad stator but hoping to get some guidance....kinda learning as I go.
The symptoms - sled runs great when its cold, once it gets hot say 10-15 minutes it starts to lose power and eventually stalls. The spark plugs are soaked and there's no spark. I replaced the CDI not too long ago ,plugs and wires are new. I also unplugged the killswitch/tss from the harness and didn't make a difference. Right now the sled isn't home, I'll have to go get it when it cools off, its a 488 cc liquid cool/carbed model with about 4500 miles-
thanks and stay well !
Did you disable the ignition key switch also? If so, sure sounds like the stator. Easy to tell with a digital ohm meter soon as the problem happens....ohm the coil wires. Seems like a coil is open.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by too slow View Post
Did you disable the ignition key switch also? If so, sure sounds like the stator. Easy to tell with a digital ohm meter soon as the problem happens....ohm the coil wires. Seems like a coil is open.
Yes the ignition and tether is disabled. I'll try and make it fail tomorrow and check for a open.
Thanks guys, appreciate the help 1
Old 03-25-2020, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Gotcha, I'll have to run it on a stand until it fails and then check . Unfortunately the little snow cover we had is gone.
I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs and set the floats recently... But you mentioned plugged bowl vent hoses ? come to think of it I think they have plastic plugs in them, could that be an issue ?
Absolutely. If atmospheric air pressure is trapped in the float bowls when empty, then the pressure buildup when fuel is pumped in will cause fuel to flow at a great rate right into the engine even when not running. This might cause easy cold operation even without much choking, but when warmed up, it will be way too rich.

If float bowls are full when first started, and vent hoses then are plugged, atmospheric air pressure will not be able to enter to force fuel through the jets once a vacuum is created by air flowing through the carb bore.

Either way, you must not plug the float bowl vents on any carb.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Okay, so just to be clear we are talking about the vent hose that comes from the bottom of the float bowl ?
Yes they do have plugs in them, the sled came that way...must have been something the previous owner did. Where should they go, to the airbox or just loose in the bellypan ?
Old 03-25-2020, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 15 Pro 600 155"
Previous Sled(s): 2008 Shift LE 155", 2000 700 RMK,94&95 XLT, 91 Indy 500
Favorite Riding Area: Big Holes or Centenials
Riding Since: 1981

Those tubes are the water traps on the bottom of the float bowl.
The carb vents should be small 1/8" (ID) line running from upper portion of carb body up to handlebars or to airbox (on some models).
steepndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 15 Pro 600 155"
Previous Sled(s): 2008 Shift LE 155", 2000 700 RMK,94&95 XLT, 91 Indy 500
Favorite Riding Area: Big Holes or Centenials
Riding Since: 1981

Do you have a shop manual for your machine. I have several different years and probably have the one for your machine. I'd be happy to email you a copy if you'd drop me a PM with your model and year, and email address.
steepndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Why? More importantly, do you have the skills? You shouldn't have to set the floats unless the wrong needle/seats or parts were installed/misinstalled.

Example: My riding buddy once rebuilt his carbs. It didn't run right. He replaced the stator, still didn't run right. Weeks of trying various things including pistons and rings. Still poor running. Finally, we pulled his rebuilt carbs. Found one of his main jets laying in the float bowl!!!!

Cost him lots of $ before his mistake was discovered.
too slow likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement