98 XC 500 No spark - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Trail/Classic/XLT This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2019, 11:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 800 iqr,13 800 sb,fusion 900 triple
Previous Sled(s): pro-x/xcr 800 engine,xc 800 triple,storms,ultras,650s,
Favorite Riding Area: western U.P/northern WI
Riding Since: 1974

Those POS Ducati cdi boxes fail a LOT.If you are confident that the stator ohms good and the kill circuit isn't the problem its probably the cdi.
sleeping_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 09:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '11 IQ Turbo, '15 Axys 800, '19 850 XC
Previous Sled(s): '12 Pro-R 8, '08 IQ 8, '02 Pro-X
Favorite Riding Area: Where the snow is....
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 5060
17-18 Mileage: 5100
16-17 Mileage: 2050
Riding Since: 1976

It isn't uncommon for some meters to lose accuracy with very low resistance values. If you take the .4 OHM you mentioned with the leads touching and consider that to be "0", the the stator brown to yellow would be .4 OHM (.8 - .4 = .4). That indicates your stator resistance is a bit higher than it is supposed to be. However, I'd expect that if the stator was "shorted" internally, that resistance would be lower than spec. If it was "open", you would have no continuity. So, for now, I'd suggest some additional checks. Try both putting the stator in the freezer and re-checking and also warming the stator up with a heat gun or similar and re-checking. If it still checks out, I'd be inclined to go with the assumption that the stator isn't the problem. That leaves the CDI. I've seen those both fail after running the engine for a while or not putting out any spark until until they get warm. Had 1 600 that would run long enough to get about a mile away from home before dying. By the time you would hike back and get another sled to tow it back, it would start again. The other one didn't like to start when it was very cold outside. Recall putting that CDI under the heat vent in the truck for 10 minutes, putting it back on the sled and it ran all day as long as it never cooled off. Eventually, it did die completely, but it acted up randomly for half a season prior to that. Might want to put the stator back in and do the "hot" and "cold" check with the CDI to see if something changes. Do you know anyone who has a domestic twin of similar age you could borrow a CDI from to test?
orville-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #23 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

ohms test are terrible way of testing any electrical issue. if it's out of spec. it will be bad but things can test fine and still be bad.

you have a xc 500 not a xcsp 500 correct? because two very different ignition systems. the later being 3d ignition.

the two plug connector is the trigger coil. the three plug is exciter coil.

i have replaced just as many stators on these as C.D.I. boxes. so it would be to your benefit to find the faulty component. i keep good known C.D.I. boxes just for this reason. but you could have a stator problem causing a C.D.I. failure. so you need to make sure this isn't happening. make sure you have no continuity to ground on the wire's you shouldn't. if you do replace the stator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Northstar Performance Products
Stage 1,2,3 clutch kits
Oil tank vent kits
Doo T-Stat bypass kits
Rush/Axys A-Arm bushing kits
550 fan upgrade kit

Our products have been race tested and proven all across North America!

Authorized dealer for
SLP
RK-Tek
WPS
US Chrome
Thunder Products
Automatic Distributors
Venom/Team Ind.
Redline Oil
Klotz Racing Synthetics
K100
northstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #24 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not much
Riding Since: 70 s

Anytime using an ohm meter to measure resistance of a coil your going to have some inaccuracies...coils are measured by impedance not resistance, so don't expect these resistance measurements to be dead on, they can vary slightly.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement