Chaincase Leak? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Switchback/SKS/RMK This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bontz

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Default Chaincase Leak?

So I’m trying fix up my 2000 RMK. It’s been leaking chaincase fluid for a while but I just kept topping it up and i was still able to ride it. I finally got around to fixing the seal, filled it with fluid and cleaned the gunk at the bottom the belly pan. I even used some brake clean and got it looking pretty much brand new. Now I notice theres still fluid leaking but when I wiped it with a paper towel it almost had a green tinge to it. The chaincase fluid that I put in there is blue. I can’t fit my fingers in there to see if the bottom case is wet or not. The sled is still summarized so it hasn’t been driven at all since the seal was replaced. Could it be coolant leaking from somewhere? The coolant doesn’t seem to be low or anything. Its still at full cold. Somebody suggested getting a new cover for the chaincase and trying that. Any suggestions?
Rileybrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 13 Indy, 01 600xcsp, 00 600xcsp
Previous Sled(s): 3 arcticcraps
Favorite Riding Area: from my house
Riding Since: 85

Is the engine oil somewhat green? There is a grommet on the bottom of the oil tank that can leak.
-dw- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Site Moderator - Chris

Current Sled(s): 2019 Indy XC 850
Previous Sled(s): '16 SB Pro-X; '15 Rush Pro-S; '12 SB Pro-R; '09 Dragon -Cats
Favorite Riding Area: Lake Namakagon/Cable, WI
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: 1352
17-18 Mileage: 2032
16-17 Mileage: 825
Riding Since: 1975

Wrap a paper towel around a hanger wire, or any type of extension (screwdriver?) and see if you can fit it under the can to the bottom of the chaincase & swipe it on the bottom of the chaincase housing. See if it comes out full of oil, or not.

My guess is this isn't your chaincase. Can you take the fill plug out and shine a light in to see if the level is still up where it belongs / visible?
p51mstg likes this.
Bontz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced Member

I’m using Polaris injection oil which is blue so I don’t think it’s that. Yesterday I made sure all the bolts were snugged up on the chaincase and I’m going to check it today to see if that made a difference. It’s the older style chaincase with the dipstick and it doesn’t appear that I’m losing fluid. My problem is they made it way too tight to the bottom that I can’t fit my fingers underneath. Maybe I’ll do what Bontz suggested if it’s still leaking.
Rileybrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement