2000 RMK 700 & 600 Both Lose Power and Die - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Switchback/SKS/RMK This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By northstarrick
  • 1 Post By too slow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): 2020 850 Switchback Assault, 2000 700 RMK
Favorite Riding Area: Eastern UP
Riding Since: 2019
Default 2000 RMK 700 & 600 Both Lose Power and Die

Alright need some help with this one, long story short we have a 2000 RMK 600 and 700 that are our back up sleds, both ran strong last winter in the UP until our last 2 day trip in later March.

First day riding the 700 it was 32 degrees during the day and rode strong all day until the evening when it cooled down. Riding along all of a sudden it started losing power then died. Replaced the plugs and no start, still had good spark with the plugs, waited a while Incase it was flooded and still no start. Towed it a mile or so and went to get the trailer, hour or two later and still no start when dragging it into the trailer.

Second day I take the 600 since it was our back up sled and it runs good for 3-4 hours, it’s warmer that day around 35-38 degrees. Then all of a sudden same thing happens it loses power and dies just like the 700 did the day before.

The following day when we are home I go to drag the sleds out of the trailer and work on them, both start up and run just fine..... Even ran perfectly fine when I was draining the carbs for summer storage. Not 100% confident with either of them since they will be sleds for friends to ride and I don’t want to lose a whole weekend trip if they die again. Any thoughts on what happened?? They seem to run perfectly fine now. And gas was from different stations for the most part.
Pooboy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not much
Riding Since: 70 s

Could be anything from a plugged up exhaust outlet to the throttle block safety switches activating for some reason. Meantime be sure there isn't too much slack in your throttle cable. Its even possible one of the sleds is beginning to have a bad stator.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 800 iqr,13 800 sb,fusion 900 triple
Previous Sled(s): pro-x/xcr 800 engine,xc 800 triple,storms,ultras,650s,
Favorite Riding Area: western U.P/northern WI
Riding Since: 1974

I would take them both to a competent mechanic and have them gone through before the season starts.As too slow said there could be multiple problems.When Im pre season checking "perfect running sleds"I usually end up pointing out numerous problems to the owner.On a side note, those sleds are both prone to ignition problems if they have the Ducati ignition with the combination cdi/coil all in one.

Last edited by sleeping_dragon; 09-23-2019 at 08:51 PM.
sleeping_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2019, 06:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

these are older sleds. loosing power usually means motor starting to seize up? but it can be from fuel starvation. you have shit in the tank, screen is plugged, or the lines are collapsing from ethanol fuel?

we work on over 160 sleds a season. last year i replaced miles of fuel line in this era sled. so we see this all the time. on any older sled, chain saw, weed wacker etc. it's the very first thing we check. condition of the fuel line in the tank. i bet this is where your problem is?
RidinMi likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Northstar Performance Products
Stage 1,2,3 clutch kits
Oil tank vent kits
Doo T-Stat bypass kits
Rush/Axys A-Arm bushing kits
550 fan upgrade kit

Our products have been race tested and proven all across North America!

Authorized dealer for
SLP
RK-Tek
WPS
US Chrome
Thunder Products
Automatic Distributors
Venom/Team Ind.
Redline Oil
Klotz Racing Synthetics
K100
northstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not much
Riding Since: 70 s

I agree with the guys above. You need to ask yourself when was the last time these sleds were thoroughly gone over, especially the fuel system.
RidinMi likes this.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): 2020 850 Switchback Assault, 2000 700 RMK
Favorite Riding Area: Eastern UP
Riding Since: 2019

Gotcha, thanks I think a lot of these items will help point me in the right direction when i pull them into the garage in a few weeks. FYI the sleds have approximately 1500 and 1800 miles respectively. They sat mostly unused since 2004 and took them out for a couple trips last year.

When I pull them out I'll plan to do the following.
1) Start them up and get them running
2) Check compression for both sleds
3) Check throttle freeplay
4) Drain the gas and clean the tank (incase it was bad gas)
5) Replace all the fuel lines and fuel filter
6) Clean the carbs (did it last year)

Based on all that ill let them idle for a while and rev them a little. Looking online im a little concerned that it may be a bad CDI or stator, but i would be amazed if it happened on both sleds at almost the same mileage and same trip. Ill post updates if I find anything!
Pooboy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement