01 Xc sp 800 overheating - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XC This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2020, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Default 01 Xc sp 800 overheating

I have a xc 800 that will not bleed the coolant. I’ve tried bleeding it every way that has been mentioned in any post on hcs. I just get steam out of the bleed screw. If I close the bleed screw after a min or so it will boil out of the coolant bottle. I checked the belt and pump. It’s a clogged belt and I can turn the engine by the water pump impeller. I’ve done compression tests and get 150 cold and 135/140 hot. I’ve done coolant compression test and will hold 15 psi.
Sleddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 05:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2019 SBA 850
Previous Sled(s): too many to choose from

Have you checked the thermostat?
sleeping_dragon likes this.
ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Advanced Member

i Have checked it and it is working. However this is happening with the thermostat removed

Old 02-12-2020, 08:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
HCS Advertiser

not moving coolant. your impella is broken or stripped. time to rebuild the water pump.
58odie likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Northstar Performance Products
Stage 1,2,3 clutch kits
Oil tank vent kits
Doo T-Stat bypass kits
Rush/Axys A-Arm bushing kits
550 fan upgrade kit

Our products have been race tested and proven all across North America!

Authorized dealer for
SLP
RK-Tek
WPS
US Chrome
Thunder Products
Automatic Distributors
Venom/Team Ind.
Redline Oil
Klotz Racing Synthetics
K100
northstarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): CFR 1000 & PRO X2 800
Previous Sled(s): MANY
Favorite Riding Area: EVERYWHERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarrick View Post
not moving coolant. your impella is broken or stripped. time to rebuild the water pump.
Exactly what Rick said,, and buy a new thermostat. Change the thermostat to part 7052267. It stops coolant from bypassing the coolers once the engine is warm. A must for max power and reliability it will keep your motor very happy.
gaige2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Advanced Member

I have checked the water pump and it is in good working order. I took the thermostat out and have the same problem. Will not bleed and boils out of the bottle
Old 02-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
19-20 Mileage:
18-19 Mileage: not much
Riding Since: 70 s

Maybe a bad coolant bottle or cap?
too slow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Advanced Member

I did a pressure test of the whole cooling system cap and bottle included and can hold 15 psi
Old 02-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Default 01 Xc sp 800 overheating

If the pump is working and impeller spins you donít have enough coolant in it. First you need to elevate the front of sled so the bleeder is the highest. I usually unhook the torsion springs so the skid fully compressed and then jack up the front a bit. Being that the coolant bottle is lower than the tsat makes it more difficult. I have a rubber hose that will wedge into the coolant bottle so itís higher than the stat. Open the bleeder and add coolant till it comes out the bleeder. Shut the bleeder and fire up the sled with the hose still in the bottle. Bleed it a few times again to make sure engine is full of coolant. Then keep running it till the stat opens up and the coolers and hoses coming out of coolers to bottle are warm. At this point you should be good to go. Then I suck some coolant out of the bottle and hose I put in it till itís at the appropriate level. You could just open the bleeder while itís running to drop the level in the bottle also.

Never open the bleeder without the sled running unless you raise the level of coolant in the bottle above the bleeder level. Like I mentioned with shoving a hose into the bottle that seals. Otherwise you will introduce air into the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by nanner; 02-12-2020 at 12:06 PM.
nanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Advanced Member

I have lifted the front end and have bled it every single way imaginable. It will not bleed. I have confirmed a few times that the air is out of the entire system I then try to run it and it blows out of the bottle. Again I have done compression checks and come out with 150 psi cold and 134/140 psi hot. I have checked the water pump and belt both are in good working order. I have also done compression checks on the coolant system including the bottle and cap. I have 15 psi and holds . I’ve tried bleeding it with nose way up in the air and have tilted in on both sides. It will not bleed out. Just steam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement